Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

22 league goals.

How many strikers having their first 20 goal season at 30 - after being out for a year with an ACL?

What a guy. What a professional.

Someone sign him up and give this guy a huge contract to see him through to his mid 30s.

Does Steve like the sound of that...

Steve-Bruce-2.jpg

Had a great season by the sounds of things but flown under the radar due to how rubbish Bristol city have been in the league. Thats impressive as I never thought he had it in him to score a hatful of goals, he always worked so damn hard and got the odd goal here and there but to be the leading scorer at his club is impressive. He needs to be playing for a play off challenging team, i don't know whether that will be Bristol City this year but he seems happy and settled there so fair play to him

One of the saddest/most disappointing things to see as a Villa fan was how hard Andi fell off in the 2013/14 season. When he started getting starts under McLeish 2 seasons prior he had so much promise. A true fox in the box, and understudy to the master (being generous) of the art, Darren Bent. Then the next season he had that great partnership with Benteke and Gabby but he shifted to more of a wide player/creative workhorse and I think that killed his career at the top level. He didn't have the ability to play there long term, but he had to play there because we were so skint. Who were we going to play, Jordan Bowery? Good to see him being used as a striker again and regaining his form!

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

One of the saddest/most disappointing things to see as a Villa fan was how hard Andi fell off in the 2013/14 season. When he started getting starts under McLeish 2 seasons prior he had so much promise. A true fox in the box, and understudy to the master (being generous) of the art, Darren Bent. Then the next season he had that great partnership with Benteke and Gabby but he shifted to more of a wide player/creative workhorse and I think that killed his career at the top level. He didn't have the ability to play there long term, but he had to play there because we were so skint. Who were we going to play, Jordan Bowery? Good to see him being used as a striker again and regaining his form!

Problem is his game never really developed, one of those head down and play the game at 100mph types so would hit endless passes out of play when a bit more thought was required.

Should've been worked on in training but get the feeling Lambert just kept on telling him to run his balls off and poach the odd goal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Problem is his game never really developed, one of those head down and play the game at 100mph types so would hit endless passes out of play when a bit more thought was required.

Should've been worked on in training but get the feeling Lambert just kept on telling him to run his balls off and poach the odd goal.

That Lambert era was so rough. Stunted the development of many players I imagine, purely out of necessity. Benteke being so good meant that Weimann wasn't going to get a look in up front. He had the talent though. I remember his finishes against Norwich in the cup in 2012. Classic predator goals. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That Lambert era was so rough. Stunted the development of many players I imagine, purely out of necessity. Benteke being so good meant that Weimann wasn't going to get a look in up front. He had the talent though. I remember his finishes against Norwich in the cup in 2012. Classic predator goals. 

I know some are a bit of a joke on here now but Clark, Baker, Bannan, Albrighton, Gary Gardner and Weimann was a potentially good young generation that needed development but they were ruined long term by the mess plus Lambert being inept

They wouldnt have turned into Barca 2.0 but they had more upside than they ended with

• Like 2

Just now, Zatman said:

I know some are a bit of a joke on here now but Clark, Baker, Bannan, Albrighton, Gary Gardner and Weimann was a potentially good young generation that needed development but they were ruined long term by the mess plus Lambert being inept

They wouldnt have turned into Barca 2.0 but they had more upside than they ended with

I wouldn't put the blame on Lambert, we were forced into playing all of them at the same time because of Lerner. Some of them made a fist out of their PL careers (Clark, Lowton, Westwood, Albrighton) but Weimann stagnated way too much, and too early too. 

Problem was they weren't getting a look in under MON which would have stifled them, but then they were thrown into the deep end under Lambert which also stifled them. I think Houllier and McLeish had the right blend, and I think Clark in particular looked really good under them. 

• Like 2

He's got to be a good option for newly promoted teams or those in their second year, surely, especially with the stats from this season? In the Lambert era he became a good counter attacking player and for a newly promoted team, having someone who will run themselves into the ground and who can score the odd goal is worth its weight in gold. presumably he has matured a lot in the 8 or so years since leaving us.

Could see him doing a good job for Forest, or maybe somewhere like Brentford would be good for him. He would be a great supporting act for Toney and would buzz around the box and pounce on loose balls in the box. 22 goals and 10 assists means he should be someone they look at, he would be quite cheap aswell and he was quite an intelligent player who made some decent runs whilst here.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Yes  i agree but think Gardner's career was hampered by serious injuries. 

10 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes  i agree but think Gardner's career was hampered by serious lack of brain cells. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Scored v France tonight.

Wonder if someone like Bournemouth might decide to pick him up this summer.

I reckon he deserves another crack at the premier league after his goal haul for Bristol City in the season just gone. Does seem to have added a lot of goals to his game, coupled with great assist stats too. Think he would be a good pickup for someone like Bournemouth or Forest. He reminds me a lot of Jarrod Bowen

12 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I reckon he deserves another crack at the premier league after his goal haul for Bristol City in the season just gone. Does seem to have added a lot of goals to his game, coupled with great assist stats too. Think he would be a good pickup for someone like Bournemouth or Forest. He reminds me a lot of Jarrod Bowen

He seems to have lost his pace a bit and is a lot stockier than I remember him. Not sure if he can still hack the PL as it is. He doesn't zip around the pitch like he used to.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He seems to have lost his pace a bit and is a lot stockier than I remember him. Not sure if he can still hack the PL as it is. He doesn't zip around the pitch like he used to.

i havent watched him regularly for a long time, but maybe that has helped his goalscoring stats in a way, as if he is stockier and not buzzing around the wider areas and making a nuisance of himself there, he is using his football intelligence in the box to finish more goals. i rated him as a finisher and thought it was often unfortunate for him that he was used out wide due to how good benteke was. I still reckon he could add value and would be fairly cheap, both transfer and wage wise. It would be great seeing him get a crack as a regular in the premier league, i really liked the character of him as a player and person

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Â