Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

hes playing better this season that's for sure. I also don't think hes good enough for England as yet. A call up is not beyond him however hes far from it. He still lacks that bit of quality in the attacking third. His decisions past the half way line are not smart. The fact that our defence is still shit goes to show no one in midfield is screening the defence as well as they should.

I just want to know what happened to the attacking player that was at Leeds. I understand more time on the ball etc but.. he could shoot. Everytime he shoots for us he does a good impression of the Tonev.

Edited by KSV

His overall PSR (83.1%) is almost identital to Westwood's (83.6%) and not far behind KEA's (84.2%). So I'm not sure why people keep believing that he gives the ball away far more then anybody else.

Everyone keeps replyinh that he's our best player... but what exactly is he bringing to the team?

Can't pass, can't shoot, he tackles well but picks up bookings like its going out of fashion, and then loses the ball anyway.

What is it that you're all seeing?

Have you considered the possibility that it's not ALL OF THE REST OF US that are seeing it incorrectly?

Delph gets the ball forward, brings teammates into play, tracks back and gets stuck in, is calm on the ball and busy off it.

I think Bof is right, if we could get a more solid pairing behind him, Delph would get more freedom and possibly goals.

Yes Westwood and Sylla were solid behind him last season but I think Delph was also deeper last season and has also improved much more since then, all we need now is for him to be close enough to do those runs at defenders, instead of at midfielders.

Delph has stood head and shoulders above anyone else in our midfield for two reasons.

Most of us had written him off. You only have to read some of last season's comments on him and therefore our expectations were very low. He has improved no doubt and due to that he has already surpassed our expectations of him. It has been a welcome and pleasant surprise to see it and Lambert must also be commended for sticking by the player when Delph could have very easily found himself a member of either the loan or bomb squad, or indeed both.

Secondly, you also have to consider he has been prominent in our midfield at the very time our other midfielders have lost form and thats another reason why he has caught the eye so much. While his game has improved i don't think he's anywhere near international level yet as there are aspects of his game so important to a midfielder that definitely need more work, ball retention and placement of pass if he is to be deemed a box to box player or otherwise. I'm also not so sure that the present England manager would be too fussed on the amount of needless bookings Delph picks up when considering the player for a tournament. 

The signs are definitely good though and i'd love to see Delph paired with a more physical DM to give better balance in our midfield which would allow Delph more license to go forward and show the form he once had at Leeds.

• Like 1

I guess recents years of McLeish & co has lowered everyone's expectations of what counts as quality at this club.

Personally, players like Milner, Ian Taylor or even George Boateng are an acceptable standard of a midfielder. 

Lets look at some similar style players from clubs at or near the 7th/8th position we should be aiming for.

Steven Pienaar, Lucas Leivva, de Guzman, Adam Lallana. 

Would you put Delph anywhere near them? Even on "potential"? I wouldn't.

I guess recents years of McLeish & co has lowered everyone's expectations of what counts as quality at this club.

Personally, players like Milner, Ian Taylor or even George Boateng are an acceptable standard of a midfielder. 

Lets look at some similar style players from clubs at or near the 7th/8th position we should be aiming for.

Steven Pienaar, Lucas Leivva, de Guzman, Adam Lallana. 

Would you put Delph anywhere near them? Even on "potential"? I wouldn't.

Yes, yes I would.

• Like 2

If it helps I signed Adam Lallana on my Fifa career mode to slip into the CAM role and we've just qualified for Champions League!!!

Note - feel free to forward this message onto Lambert if anyone has any connection with him.

Â