rjw63

Villa heroes picked by bank governor on Desert Island Discs
trusted-contributor-png8.png
newspaper_user_small.jpg

By Sutton Coldfield Observer

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Follow  

By Nick Horner

A CELEBRATORY song by an Erdington musician marking a Premier League football club’s greatest day was chosen by the head of the UK’s central bank on a popular national radio show.

The outgoing Governor of the Bank of England and staunch Aston Villa fan, Mervyn King, selected Doug O’Brien from Goosemoor Lane’s Rotterdam 82 song as one his eight song picks on Radio Four’s Desert Island Discs.

1. 4923990.jpg

Erdington songwriter Doug O’Brien (pictured with Aston Villa’s European cup winning captain, Dennis Mortimer, in 2006) said it was an ‘honour’ to have his Rotterdam 82 song selected by Bank of England Governor, Mervyn King.

Chosen alongside classical tunes including Ludwig van Beethoven’s Symphony No. 7 and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s Symphony No. 40 as well as Lou Bega’s Mambo No. 5 and Bob Dylan’s Highway No.61 was Doug’s ditty initially created on a small Casio keyboard three days before Aston Villa’s triumph over Bayern Munich in the European Cup Final in May 1982.

Doug, now 53, wrote the song as a 22-year-old days before he headed out on a coach trip to Rotterdam before charting that journey and Villa’s triumph secured by a Peter Withe goal in the 67th minute on the journey home to finish his lyrics.

And when Doug received an email from the Bank of England Governor, Mervyn King, asking if he could play the song on the popular Desert Island Discs show, Doug at first thought it was a wind up but then described the request as an ‘honour’.

“In mid May I went and turned my computer on and I saw this email from Mervyn King asking if it was OK if her plays Rotterdam 82 on a radio show,” Doug said. “He said he needed my written permission to play it on national radio and said, ‘it is a great song and we need memories of good times these days’.

“I didn’t believe it at first but then I said he could definitely do that. He then came back to me and said its for Desert Island Discs and could I keep it a secret so I couldn’t tell anyone until it was aired last Sunday (June 2).

“I didn’t even tell my family!

“When it was played I sent Mervyn an email and thanked him. For me it was the icing ont he cake to have it played on national radio.

“He emailed me back and said: ‘Dear Doug, I could not have left your recording out of the programme because otherwise it would not have been me. I do hope it attracts attention from a new audience. Thank you for letting me play it. We will forever remember that day.

“‘Let’s hope for a better season next year. Mervyn King’.”

Doug recorded Rotterdam 82 at King’s Recording Studio in Birmingham Road, Sutton, with John Elsomn and Dave King, a few years after he wrote it.

Every year on May 26 Doug replays the match, which took place at Feijenoord Stadion in Rotterdam, and enjoys a glass of wine to relive the moment when Villa were on top of Europe. And he believes under present manager, Paul Lambert, his team are on the up. “We have been there once and hopefully we can do it again,” Doug said. “Rotterdam 82 can be repeated!”

Mervyn King’s choices on Desert Island Discs, including Doug O’Brien’s Rotterdam 82 are available on the BBC’s iPlayer service to listen or download. He will be replaced as Bank of England Governor by Canadian Mark Carney in July.

The record will be released as a B-side on Santa’s Christmas Claret and Blues which will be available at the end of the year.

Desert Island Discs website

• Like 2

Nipped out earlier and went into a pub for something to eat. Sunday, early afternoon, as expected bit of a delay. That delay went on quite a bit longer than expected and we asked when we'd be likely to have out food arrive. Chap checked a couple of times, came back second time with our food and, completely unprompted, offered us a couple of drinks on the house.

Excellent stuff.

• Like 2

The brunette in this video. Basically perfect (oh and it's also a tune)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDUC1LUXSU

And guess what? There's an explicit version where all the women are topless. I couldn't possibly link it because it's too rude. But it's out there...

Why did it take me so long to go to vimeo and check out that video. Sweet jebus.

Arrested Development & Season 3 of The Killing on Netflix, best free trial ever. And I just bought two large Tesco Finest fish pies for 75p each as they go off tonight.

There's a quick in my step right now.

Season 3 of The Killing

Is this the American or Danish version?

American, its not the easiest thing watching subtitles with slight double vision. The rewind button is often hit.

I'm always hitting the rewind button too.

I don't know how similar the versions are. I'd be interested to hear how good season 3 is. Loved season 1 but was really disappointed with season 2 (didn't bother finishing it). 

Â