Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

I have to say I was a big Clark fan for the past few seasons but he is making too many mistakes at crucial times in crucial games and I think it is down to the lack of experience in the back four and I blame whoever is meant to be teaching as the defencive coach, we need Martin Laursen to help teach our defence in my opinion.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't know why he didn't push the ball away with his arm or grab it when he slipped. The ref was close to giving a free kick anyway that he probably would have done if Clark had stopped play (I know it wasn't a foul by the way, but it could have easily been made to look that way). At worst he would have got a yellow for the handball.

Edited by fightoffyour

FFS.the time was at 44 minutes,there was 1 minute to go to half time and the score was 0-0.It is not the time to **** about, especially with Dzeko lurking nearby.You hoof the ball upfield and go in at half time at 0-0.

At what point in the game do you think that we should start hoofing it and stop playing our normal game?

44 minutes? 40 minutes? How about 35 minutes just so we're safe for a good 10 minutes of the first half?

Clark, Vlaar and Baker have all used their skill on the ball this season, and have taken the ball around an opposition player, but no-one said anything because they didn't slip over.

I think that rhetorical question has a concise answer. With five minutes left in the half, at 0-0, against the champions I think our players should be looking to just get to HT. That means being more cautious in defence and better with possession. Clark was neither cautious in defence and lost possession. But lets be honest here, it was a crazy thing to do as a CB at any point in a game against any opposition, it was a terrible decision and he got caught out, and MC punished it, as the best players will do, with a goal.   

It's not a crazy thing to do if our defenders have been doing it all season and getting away with it. It shows confidence and skill on the ball. If it wasn't for the slip then it wouldn't have been a problem.

You say that we should have started being cautious around the 40th minute, but we were still attacking and creating the occasional chance. If I was Lambert, I wouldn't ask the team to take the foot off the pedal "just incase somebody slips on the ball"...

No way in a million years do I want to see Villa CB's doing that, it's bad practice, and it was a perfect example as to why it is. We haven't been doing it all season, I've seen Clark do it when we've had three at the back, Vlaar do it when he's had to, it's never ideal and to do it unforced, in that position, no way, there were two better options, a hoof or a pass to Delph. He didn't slip, Dzeko was on him faster than he expected, it was the kind of misjudgement Clark makes too often and it is literally costing us points.   

I saw Rio Ferdinand do the exact same thing in the same position against Real Madrid yesterday, when it was 0-0.

That doesn't justify it though. You should never dribble as the last defender. Might have been a free kick as Dzeko took his feet away which stopped him from getting back up, but still shouldn't be in that position to start with.

That said I thought Clark, aside from this, was good in defense all game.

Edited by tarjei

Kingfisher, maybe we've been seeing different things because I have definately seen our CBs do it all season.

I'm not saying they've done it every time the ball has come back to them and a player has been by them, but they've done it a LOT.

Infact, you've even said that Clark and Vlaar have done it. Like I said, not every time they've received the ball, but they've been doing it all season.

Modern forwards chase and harry CBs, hard... that is why the the top sides all have CBs with ball skills. Sometimes CBs have to dribble a bit. It's not get it and hoof it.

I don't think Clark did the wrong thing, he just didn't do it well enough, and got punished.

He's done it many times before and been caught many times before, this is the first time they've scored direct from it.

Hopefully he'll learn this time instead of doing it again and again.

Dunne did it in a cup final against Man U that resulted in a goal.

Can't remember " God " doing it, its all about quality and we are lacking it.

Its a bit hard on the lad as he ain't the only one that is not exactly comfortable on the ball.

Its been an AV trait for years.

He lost us the game, it's as simple as that. 

What a load of bollox.

If you actually believe that, then start following Golf or some other non team sport, cos you obviously know little about football. Honestly mate, sit back, and think about it :rolleyes:

Edited by MagicMushroom
  • Like 1

Its not the first time he's cost us goals this season either. Average at best I'm afraid.

How many has Vlaar made?

Oh, he cost money, is a Dutch international, so lets pick on our home grown instead?

Lambert sees Clark in midfied, but can you honestly not see the reason why we are having to keep playing him in defence?

He could say **** it, people like Ryan are breaking my balls over every mistake i make. I no longer feel confident in my ability and hate the abuse.

But no, he goes out there for the team, because he knows there is no one else but him. Tell you what, that takes bottle, and i know what you and others are going to throw back, but really?

Does he deserve the abuse?

Im old, different era, and you guys see things differently. But support means just that, and.Its that support that  either makes or breaks players.

Surely, we all see that?

Edited by MagicMushroom
  • Like 1

He lost us the game, it's as simple as that. 

He cost us the goal, it's as simple as that. The team had another 45 minutes to get back in the game. The team didn't. The team lost the game.

He cost us the goal that cost us the game, so what's the difference? The team was playing at its absolute maximum, no way were we going to score against them, the best we could do was hold out for a draw and we quite possibly would have done that without Clark's error.

Â