Barry Bannan

villianusa

I thought that Westwood looked our best midfielder until he failed to pick up Henderson's run for their first goal. Sylla and Bannan were anonymous in the first half and I think that Lambert got it wrong not taking one of them off at half time. Both kept being caught too far forward and our midfield was easy to pass through for Liverpool.

He wasn't shocking. Get some perspective.

Villa's troubles aren't Barry Bannan making the odd stray pass among many good ones.

Villa's troubles are obvious, with the Midlands side failing to keep a clean sheet since 8 December and, as was again evident against Liverpool, prone to young players making individual errors. Westwood, 22, allowed Henderson to run past him for Liverpool's equaliser while Baker, 21, made a reckless lunge on Luis Suárez

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/31/paul-lambert-aston-villa-liverpool

It's once again ludicrous that Bannan has been picked on for the bad result here (nowhere else). There is no reason for his performance to have gained so much comment when compared to his previous performance against QPR, Westwood's was far worse.

Has anyone even bumped the Westwood thread yet? 

Edited by Con

No Bannan was shocking today. I don't give a shit about all the stats, football isn't about stats. I watched the game with my own eyes, and Bannan had a stinker today. He just did nothing... there was literally no point in him being on the pitch. The only times I noticed him was when he was making mistakes or over hitting crosses. Other than that he just did nothing. Didnt help going forward, didn't help defensively. 

Edited by PieFacE

He wasn't shocking. Get some perspective.

Villa's troubles aren't Barry Bannan making the odd stray pass among many good ones.

Villa's troubles are obvious, with the Midlands side failing to keep a clean sheet since 8 December and, as was again evident against Liverpool, prone to young players making individual errors. Westwood, 22, allowed Henderson to run past him for Liverpool's equaliser while Baker, 21, made a reckless lunge on Luis Suárez

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/31/paul-lambert-aston-villa-liverpool

It's once again ludicrous that Bannan has been picked on for the bad result here (nowhere else). There is no reason for his performance to have gained so much comment when compared to his previous performance against QPR, Westwood's was far worse.

Has anyone even bumped the Westwood thread yet? 

You ask for perspective yet you are so biased it's unbelievable...  you are the one who needs to add perspective not anyone else... Bannan was shocking today Con and it doesn't matter how many times you try to wish it away it just won't go. He was absolutely atrocious.

And even though this has been pointed out to you about 20 times I will explain it again. Reports on the game are going to talk about the goals more than the chances. You try fitting everything into a 20 line report and you'll talk only about the goals and the build up to the goals... just because Liverpool failed to capitalise on all of the Bannan mistakes doesn't mean that he wasn't at fault. He very clearly was.

If perspective is what you are after why don't you head over to the in-play match thread and you will see person after person getting frustrated with Bannan and for his ridiculous schoolboy errors today. It wasn't just one or two, there were a number. This gives you the perspective you are after and is a much rounder opinion than posting any old journalists 20 line report into the goals.

No Bannan was shocking today. I don't give a shit about all the stats, football isn't about stats. I watched the game with my own eyes, and Bannan had a stinker today. He just did nothing... there was literally no point in him being on the pitch. The only times I noticed him was when he was making mistakes or over hitting crosses. Other than that he just did nothing. Didnt help going forward, didn't help defensively. 

100% agree. And this coming from someone who has defended Bannan in the past shows just how bad he was today.

I think MOTD will show him involved in some good moves.

Are MOTD going to be showing a different Villa match then? Because if he wasn't involved in any moves in the game today how are they going to show them?

Watch MOTD you must have missed what I remember.

All the players made errors today. Bannan was dispossessed twice, so was Westwood. No need to pick on Bannan.

Bannan had an awkward skewed kick that landed at Suarez's feet. Didn't lead to a goal. Westwood didn't track Henderson and that did lead to a goal. No need to pick on Bannan.

Bannan this Bannan that. It's like he's the only player on the pitch.

Bannan has looked good in the last few games but today he had a bad one, yes he did some good passes and tracked back well a few times- but floaty crosses and misplaced passes cannot be excused.

against Stoke I think we need Delph and Sylla playing as we need all the physical presence we can get against there dirty nasty bunch of players.

Bannan has looked good in the last few games but today he had a bad one, yes he did some good passes and tracked back well a few times- but floaty crosses and misplaced passes cannot be excused.

against Stoke I think we need Delph and Sylla playing as we need all the physical presence we can get against there dirty nasty bunch of players.

Agree.

We should play them with Bannan rather than Westwood because while we need grit we don't want to lose oomph going forward.

That's not to say Westwood can't do that, Bannan is more experienced and Westwood's just had a bad game so it would be good to give him a rest.

Are MOTD going to be showing a different Villa match then? Because if he wasn't involved in any moves in the game today how are they going to show them?

All the players made errors today. Bannan was dispossessed twice, so was Westwood. No need to pick on Bannan.

Bannan had an awkward skewed kick that landed at Suarez's feet. Didn't lead to a goal. Westwood didn't track Henderson and that did lead to a goal. No need to pick on Bannan.

You do realise that we are in the Bannan thread? Of course it is going to be Bannan this Bannan that..

He looked average against the 2 worst teams in the league. These were his best performances of the season... I think this speaks volumes as to the level that he actually is.

Edited by VillaLi0n

You do realise that we are in the Bannan thread? Of course it is going to be Bannan this Bannan that..

>Bannan has looked good in the last few games but today he had a bad one, yes he did some good passes and tracked back well a few times- but floaty crosses and misplaced passes cannot be excused.

He looked good against the 2 worst teams in the league. These were his best performances of the season... I think this speaks volumes as to the level that he actually is.

Maybe, but at least he played well against someone - I don't think it really matters who. On paper even on a good day we don't have the defence or midfield to compete with many other teams even if we have the strikers and keeper.

But I don't think we should blame just Bannan, but then again in my mind Westwood has done little wrong - although I do feel he is a bit over rated - he doesn't contribute massively in any game although he does the basics well.

part of me wants Zog to play more as he adds a bit of quality when not running into cul-de-sacs, but it's hard to see the best system to use him in.

Watched MOTD.

Bannan had a good free kick from deep which lead to a chance. Made a simple pass to Westwood prior to the first goal. Lovely pass out wide to Sylla (?) who crossed for Weimann's chance.

The skewed backpass incident which lead to Suarez's chance was partly the fault of Sylla who gave Bannan a volley to control from about 5 yards.

According to the commentator, after Weimann and Bannan were subbed Villa lost shape. 

I'd be amazed if Bannan wasn't starting against Stoke.

Watched MOTD.

Bannan had a good free kick from deep which lead to a chance. Made a simple pass to Westwood prior to the first goal. Lovely pass out wide to Sylla (?) who crossed for Weimann's chance.

The skewed backpass incident which lead to Suarez's chance was partly the fault of Sylla who gave Bannan a volley to control from about 5 yards.

According to the commentator, after Weimann and Bannan were subbed Villa lost shape. 

I'd be amazed if Bannan wasn't starting against Stoke.

you can take your view of Bannan from the TV if you like. But speaking as someone who was at the match, I think he was shit.

I was at the match - I think he did okay, not great, but not at all bad - he's had worse games and he's had better - he wasn't the worst of our midfield and he gave his all - defensively he was good, his passing was reasonably good and he made one bad error. This thread is surreal - the player can do no right in the minds of some it would seem.

I've been a defender of Bannan in the past, and I do think people have over reacted to some of his performances in the past but today he was shocking. 

Pretty much how I feel about the game today.

Also Con I have no idea how you can seriously suggest we drop Westwood who has been our best cm for our important game against the out of form Stoke. Its things comments like that which make me believe you are on a long wind up.