Barry Bannan

villianusa

I thought Bannan was brilliant in the second half. 

The reason we were over run in the first half wasnt Bannans fault, was the fact that Newcastle has so much space down the wings cos of that really stupid formation we played, they were just strolling and Bannan & Westwood were just running round like headless chickens. Our midfield was completely over ran, isn't surprising when they have more players in their midfield. To blame today on Bannan is just stupid. Thought he played some really nice balls in the second half and was always trying to be positive. 

This for me. 

Are people really blaming him though? They're just saying he isn't good enough. Some stats i'd love to see, stand outside Villa Park on match day and ask the people who go week in week out if Bannan is a top draw player.

i don't normally do this, but this really gets on my nerves. it's top DRAWER

Are people really blaming him though? They're just saying he isn't good enough. Some stats i'd love to see, stand outside Villa Park on match day and ask the people who go week in week out if Bannan is a top draw player.

This.

He is just one of the players in this squad that isn't good enough. He doesn't do anything to drag a performance out of nowhere, create anything, look motivated or bust a bollock trying to get back in a game, win a 50/50, play a sublime through ball, bang one in from 25 yards. He is just a nothing player. I honestly think he would struggle were he be sold to a championship side.

Compare him to Lowton. Lowton makes mistakes, but he has a great pass, will take somebody on. He show potential and can influence a game. Bannan does nothing and For me he's symbolic of everything that's wrong with our squad. People putting on the shirt regularly that aren't good enough for Aston Villa and comfortably worse than anything we've had in recent memory .

I dont want to see the following In our first team again.

Bannan

Clark

Bennett (can go on loan to improve)

Ireland

Lichaj

Stevens

Again I'll repeat I'm not blaming him for the first half I'm just sick of seeing such a poor player representing our great club. It's embarrassing and it make me angry every time I watch him have either a crap game or just have no influence whatsoever.

• Like 1

I think Bannan suffers from Lee Hendrie disease.

Lee Hendrie was an attacking midfielder that linked nicely from defense to the forwards in front. And that is all. He couldn't tackle, couldn't defend, couldn't break up play - so don't ask him to as you'd be wasting your time.

Unsurprisingly, Lee had his best games with McCann behind him to do all the dirty work.

I think Bannan needs someone similar. Herd? Clark?

Not good enough

He gives the ball away too often

He has no composure

He can't shoot very well

He always looks for the first claret and blue shirt to pass to rather than looking for a good pass

He tries to turn his way out of trouble, but his legs aren't really long enough to step over the ball.

He can't take corners

He lofts free kicks into the box rather than keeping them lower and more direct...in fact, every pass is lofted and gives the opposition time to out jump our short players.

Lambert a perseverance is killing his confidence and it's killing us

Edited by AVFCAM

Getting fed up with his lie down slide tackle. There are plenty of midfield players around who don't fancy defending, but unfortunately Barry, you've got to do a bit in this team. Looks petrified when trying to get the ball back and in fact I would say that his lack of effort suggests he is not overly interested in that side of the game.

When he had space in the second half, he did look decent, because he can get on the ball, pick his passes and get us back on the attack, he is undoubtedly very good technically but that is not enough and we don't have room for a luxury player. Where we are going wrong is having a luxury player in the engine room, it just doesn't work.

If bannan kept it simple he would manage to escape the criticism he gets on here. But instead he plays stupid balls that either go out and go straight to the opposing defender. (Anyone see the one last night where Weimann nearly decapitated people in the technical area trying to keep a ball in from Bannan?). Also his set pieces, this float the ball in crap is useless. IMO you can only get away with that if you have a very good player taking them and a big centre half to rise above the other players and head them down. However Bannan doesn't have the technical ability to do this and should therefore concentrate on whipping the ball in and hoping someone gets a flick on. 

In regards to his set-pieces. He's being told to deliver them that way as Westwood does it too. Is that Bannan's fault or Lamberts? 

It's Lambert's ,personally if I was him I would just ignore Lambert and whip them in.

Was ok second half as said both he and Westwood were overrun first half due to formation.There was points he was running after ball and Newcastle would just hit simple ball wide to FB in miles of space,Also like most teams physically Newcastle have more in midfield that us.We constantly have no width so the CM have no out ball but to either hit it long to strikers or pass back to CB.

Barry Bannan is hands down the reason we have such a weak midfield, he gets the ball then does a little sideways pass turns his back and walks off!!!!! he never wants the ball back he never tries pass and go!!! numerous times last night the defence wanted to pass the ball out from the back and he just walks around midfield with his back turned to them. FIND SOME SPACE AND MOVE BANNAN!!!!!!!

I think Bannan suffers from Lee Hendrie disease.

Lee Hendrie was an attacking midfielder that linked nicely from defense to the forwards in front. And that is all. He couldn't tackle, couldn't defend, couldn't break up play - so don't ask him to as you'd be wasting your time.

Unsurprisingly, Lee had his best games with McCann behind him to do all the dirty work.

I think Bannan needs someone similar. Herd? Clark?

At least Hendrie could knock the odd goal in, and was Premiership level.

Bannan is symptomatic of the mess we are in - not good enough.

Thinks he is Xavi, bore off Bannan your shit Hollywood style balls aren't wanted at VP

Yeah!!! We don't want anyone who can pass a ball! BRING BACK MCCANN!

Pass accuracy is such a shit stat.

Bannan accuracy vs: 85%

Cabaye accuracy vs: 64%

Obviously Bannan is better right? STATS

No, he gives the ball away loads more because people remember that he did, never mind silly things like facts and statistics.

Defo - he was so good at running around... and... umm.. stuff. 

Have a word with yourself kid. 

Kid?

Hendrie created, scored and was a dirty pest.

Bannan does none of them 3 things. Easy to get good passing accuracy when all your passes are sideways or backwards.

Only thing he has incommon with Hendrie is he likes to drive cars after getting on it.