Barry Bannan

villianusa

Joe Allen started in the little pool, built up his confidence and experience, and graduated to the big pool.

Bannan started at the bigger club in the higher division: he was thrown in at the deep end.

It's not possible to directly compare the two due to differences in experience.

Joe Allen sold for £15 million. He played against Bannan in the Liverpool team Bannan played well against when we won 1-3. Allen didn't look £13m pricier than Bannan, that's for sure.

So, erm... what are the rules again only I'm getting all confused about what your point is?

So far you've compared his playing to style to that of Xavi and said you wouldn't sell him for £20m.

Are you Daniel Levy?

Who says Joe Allen is worth £15m? Just because Liverpool paid it doesn't mean he is worth it or are you saying that Andy Carroll is worth £35m or that Jordan Henderson is worth somewhere in the region of £16-£20m or Aquilani in the region of £17m? Do you really need me to keep going?

Sorry to butt in, but this doesn't make any sense at all - that is the exact way a player's value is determined

The price a club pay for a player means nothing other than it is the price the owning club were prepared to part with the player for and the it is the price the buying club were prepared to pay. It doesn't mean that said player is worth that price in the transfer market.

The price the buying club is willing to pay is exactly how a player's transfer value is determined, which is a matter of fact. Whether that represents good VALUE is, of course, a matter of opinion.

As regards Bannan - I think he is a talented player with potential, but for his style of play he really needs good / experienced players around him if he is to have the freedom required to develop at this level. At the moment he looks like he'll develop into a squad player at best.

Bannan is a tiny crap player at best with hardly any presence on the pitch, hench the hammerings weve been getting recently, if he were english not scottish he would of been dropped to the reserves by now.

GET RID

What, English like Fabian Delph?

I think you'll find the reason these crap players keep getting picked is because there is no-one else available. Delph and wee Barry will be sold in the summer, they have shown themselves to be terrible footballers when given the chance to shine. We will probably see new midfielders this month as well.

The question we should be asking is Bannan an asset bearing in mind where we all want this club to be going?

For me Bannan isn't an asset in the way that both Westwood and Benteke are becoming for the club and therefore Bannan is very much in the category of expendable so I have no problem in selling him especially if we can use the fee towards bringing in someone better.

Edited by Morpheus
  • Like 1

I will rejoice when get rid of him

Perhaps we can stick him in Hutton's suitcase when we finally get rid of him as well

Yes, me too. I'm sick of the wayward passes, standing off players expecting the ball to be played to his feet, awful crosses, lack of any physical presence and wasted set pieces. The guy isnt a premiership quality player, he is a liability, and at 23 he is not going to get any better.

The question we should be asking is Bannan an asset bearing in mind where we all want this club to be going?

For me Bannan isn't an asset in the way that both Westwood and Benteke are becoming for the club and therefore Bannan is very much in the category of expendable so I have no problem in selling him especially if we can use the fee towards bringing in someone better.

If Lambert is seriously after that Dale Stephens chap from Charlton I would try to arrange some kind of part exchange deal, as Bannan will be just deadwood after the end of this season.

If Lambert is seriously after that Dale Stephens chap from Charlton I would try to arrange some kind of part exchange deal, as Bannan will be just deadwood after the end of this season.

Excellent idea but would Bannan want to go there or any other Championship team?

Keep him. Him and Westwood work well together, think Westy gets Bannan to play more calmly and they keep the game ticking nicely. If he's under the cosh Bannan still tries too many Hollywood balls but since being paired with Westy this season they have reduced dramatically and Bannan has looked a good player in some of these games.

Yes, he has no presence about him - but that isn't his game. With the formation Lambert will be playing going forward, he probably doesn't need a big presence as there will be players both infront of him and behind him to make a presence in midfield for the attack and defence. Him and Westy would just need to keep the game ticking.

Imo, Bannan can pass well - when he isn't trying too many Hollywood balls - makes some very good tackles (okay he's prone to a blunder, but in general he can do well, much better than Delph). He tries and puts in a lot of effort, where as when KEA is on the pitch I find myself screaming at him to break into a sprint just once.

--------DM

--Westy--Bannan

--------AM

is Lamberts favourite formation for midfield, we just need to fill those two gaps, once we have two quality players in those spaces, two players who can calm a game down, and also raise the heads of the two younger ones - I think we'll start seeing even less Hollywood balls and a player who can have more freedom in attack. Bannan as it *That* goal for Blackpool and his assist for Albrighton vs Fulham under GH show that she can do it in attacking teams when he has the freedom to do it.

That said, he's no world beater and yeah we can probably find somebody better than him at what he does, somebody like Cabaye, my personal favourite would be Lorient's Benjamin Corgnet who is very much Cabaye-esque, a tall midfielder with a good pass on him to create and score chances. He has played DM a lot but now is excelling in the AM role (Fellaini-esque I guess), think he'd be perfect for us as he can play a large number of midfield roles and is streets ahead of our other midfielders.

But as a squad player Bannan is fine imo. He will never play in a European team - but we are a long way from that yet. I think our midfield will probably look like this (going off strongest transfer links)

------Kvist

-Westy-Stephens

-----Ireland

We need somebody to replace Ireland (lets say Aaron Hunt) , and we now need somebody to replace Westwood until the end of the season. However, once those are done I think theres no reason why Bannan cant be on the bench. Somebody has to be, Delph and Bannan will be decent players in a strong midfield.

Edited by HalfTimePost

I'd agree that Bannan is the best midfielder we currently have.

In fact, here's today's quiz - put the following in order of best:

Westwood

Bannan

N'Zogbia

Albrighton

Holman

Delph

Ireland

El Ahmadi

Depressing isn't it?

Thats how i would rate them, and based on that would prefer 4 in the middle, with more width. however, Zog doesn't seem to like playing on the left and is always 2 weeks from being fully fit

This season 18 / 19 points we've won with Bannan on the pitch.

Bannan has only been playing about 50% of the time available.

The vitriol against him is astonishing... it's like some people don't want him to be successful because they just don't want to support a Scottish person who is below average in height.

Nobody has said this outright. But nobody who is very critical is using statistics to support their arguments.

I can't find any rational reason to "get rid".

has to be one of the worst corner takes i have ever seen at the club

Did he take the corner yesterday that led to the penalty? If so it was one of the best corners I've seen taken by a Villa player since Ashley Young at his peak. If not, then whoever took it should take all of our corners from now on.