Barry Bannan

villianusa

Bannan helped Blackpool to gain promotion 2 years ago back at that stage in his development so I think he can handle himself in the Championship. He's a Premier League player in my view. He just needs to be in a better team.

He went there for half a season and made 20 appearances. 12 of which were as a sub. In a discussion about whether he could hold himself in the Championship I think he has already proven 2 years ago that he could. It's ridiculous to suggest that he couldn't 2 years on.

And if I recall correctly, Holloway wanted to sign him once they got promoted but we wouldn't sell him. That suggests the manager at the time not only saw enough to handle the Championship but that he saw enough to help them in the Premier League too.

My point being he wasn't a crucial part to Blackpool's promotion push was he? He didn't even come on in the Play-Off final. The lad for me is not good enough, and this season it is being proven. We have overcooked some of these youngsters by making out we have a great academy, however a lot of them are average and are only playing due to the fact we have no-one else.

If Bannan was at Swansea for example i'm 100% certain he'd probably have a few more assists to his name and he'd probably play in a system that suits him.

Truth is this manager has sucked the life out of the attacking play we had and pretty much every attacking player is failing to make an impact (besides Weimann but fear not - McLeish will get to him too)

That's what I'm getting at DVIN. At Villa he's almost a luxury player because it doesn't suit what we're trying to do i.e. crucify the beautiful game. As a 20 year old he played half a season in the championship,

and actually did come on in the play-off final albeit for the final few minutes. He is good enough. He just doesn't suit this current Villa side which; I think you'll agree; is hardly a damning indictment of the bloke given what this Villa side is like at the moment.

I'd like to say a few things which I think are not that controversial

He is more comfortable on the ball than most.

He does have an eye for a pass.

He is not covering himself in glory right now. (Trying too much and suffering from inaccuracy with a number of his passes. Sometimes I feel his vision is better than his football ability.)

I don't think this is all down to the system we are playing. He has to take some responsibility and grab his chance when he gets it.

He is not however a winger and never will be.

I'd like to say a few things which I think are not that controversial

He is more comfortable on the ball than most.

He does have an eye for a pass.

He is not covering himself in glory right now. (Trying too much and suffering from inaccuracy with a number of his passes. Sometimes I feel his vision is better than his football ability.)

I don't think this is all down to the system we are playing. He has to take some responsibility and grab his chance when he gets it.

He is not however a winger and never will be.

Sums him up perfectly for me.

However, as for him being more comfortable on the ball than most, I had a thought after watching him closely for his last couple of games: his first touch is often quite clumsy for a 'luxury' player. It tends to contribute to his anonymity and our failing possession, especially when the midfield is congested or overrun, because he just can't challenge for the second ball.

As a midfielder Bannan isn't strong, he is poor at heading, he isn't quick, is poor at shooting, hardly ever scores and he is below average at tackling.

The thing people claim he is good at is passing and even that he's not that great at. He hardly ever passes in areas that hurt the opposition.

Let's get rid of this poor player as he'll never make the grade.

I cant remember the last time he found himself in a position to take on a long range shot. When he burst on the scene, and when playing for Scotland he possessed a good deal of confidence in his long range shooting. It strikes me that as he isnt picking up the ball in attacking positions, he cant express the better parts of his game, rather he is restricted to being stuck as a deep winger or deep central midfielder, neither of which he will show his true colours. Realistically, Ireland has hindered his progress.

As a midfielder Bannan isn't strong, he is poor at heading

he is 5 foot, when does he ever get a chance to head the ball

he isn't quick

either is Xavi or Paul Scholes (and no im not comparing their abilities)

is poor at shooting

he has quite a decent shot but as we dont take shots its hard for him to show people

hardly ever scores

again not really his fault the team he is in

Truth is Bannan loses the ball so much because he tries to start attacks and pass forward unlike most of our players