Barry Bannan

villianusa

Loving every quote that comes from any of GH, McAllister and Bannan at the moment. Houllier deserves huge credit for his faith in BB.

Also really starting to like having GH as manager (although this must surely mean that we're about to get done by Blackburn).

Still, let's not forget that we've not had the best of results lately and we're 9th in the table.

This deserves repeating imo:

I'm sure those young players who were brought through and played regularly such as Gabby and A Young (as they were at the time) were more than happy with MON. He also showed faith when spending big money on Delph.

The players who are happy he is gone are those who weren't playing.

It seems to me that people are forgetting all of the good MON did just because he isn't here now.

To say he wasn't good at motivating his players flies in the face of pretty much everything he achieved in his 4 years at the club.

:D

Great news that Bannan has signed a new deal!

I like the bit where he says "I'd sign my life away"..

Although I have to say. Do we really have to put EVERY SINGLE new article in the same thread?!

This was posted on VT at 2.30pm Today and I only just found out that Bannan had signed a new contract when I looked on the OS.

MODS, wouldn't it make sense to allow people to make new threads when something interesting actually happens?

:D

Great news that Bannan has signed a new deal!

I like the bit where he says "I'd sign my life away"..

Although I have to say. Do we really have to put EVERY SINGLE new article in the same thread?!

This was posted on VT at 2.30pm Today and I only just found out that Bannan had signed a new contract when I looked on the OS.

MODS, wouldn't it make sense to allow people to make new threads when something interesting actually happens?

I fully agree. I understand why they're all organized in that way, I would much rather see a free flowing forum where we're being kep apprised of the latest news.

The pint-sized midfielder starred for Scotland in midweek as they cruised to a 3-0 victory over the Faroe Islands.

Bannan assisted for Scotland’s third strike and saw the woodwork deny him his first goal for the Tartan Army.

After his debut he spoke of his delight and insisted he will continue to work hard under Gerard Houllier.

Assistant boss and fellow countryman, Gary McAllister, has been impressed with what he’s seen and said Bannan had the potential to make a real name for himself, both for Villa and Scotland.

“His passing ability, and his ability to make a goal or score a goal, gives him the chance to go far in the game,’’ he said.

“He’s now made his international debut so all these little things you can add together.

“He’s played some Europa League as well, so a lot has happened to him in a short time, it can only be good.’’

McAllister said tomorrow’s game will be different and Bannan will need to adapt to that style, if he is selected.

“He’s got to add all these things to his armoury.

“It’s a different type of game to Blackpool and Manchester United so it’s something he’s going to have to deal with.

“He’s got enough ability to realise when it’s time to get the ball down and pass, and when it’s not.”

http://tinyurl.com/2687woe

Mods should just change the titled, same as they do with a speculation thread when we sign them.

Yes.

That'll do I suppose, cheers!

When I get paid I will donate £10 to VT as a token of my appreciation of being heard!

:winkold: (I keep meaning to donate anyway, but keep forgetting)

Graham Hunter (the sky sports person) confirmed what we knew already..he basically tweeted and said this :

For those who admire Barry Bannan, Houllier told me yesterday that he 'rescued' Barry's career cos prev mgr said 'he'd never make a player'

BB owes masses to McDonald and Sid Cowans. They taught him good standards and loaned him at the right time.

Gary Mac makes point that if Iniesta, Messi, Xavi, Silva, Cesc, Özil, Kun and Arshvn etc hvnt proved it's ability over size then...

Barry Bannan insists the claret and blues will be firing on all cylinders in the coming weeks.

Sunday's 2-0 defeat at Ewood Park ended Villa's four match unbeaten run in the Barclays Premier League.

Despite the loss, the Scotland international was upbeat about Villa's attacking prowess but acknowledged the need to be more clinical in front of goal.

"It was a tough game," he told AVTV.

"Obviously we knew coming here (Ewood Park) you've got to accept that they are going to be a good at set-pieces. They work hard, get in your face and the goal just before half-time killed us really.

"With the players we've got we are good going forward - that is our strength. But we just couldn't put the ball in the back of the net. But we'll come back to training and work on it and hopefully come next week things will be better.

"We are going to go back and work on it and hopefully we'll get better and that will improve in the next few weeks."

The 69th minute of the game on Sunday marked the debut of Villa's newest recruit Robert Pires. One of the reasons Gerard Houllier brought the French midfielder to the club was so that the young players can learn from the World Cup winner.

And that has already come to fruition with Bannan.

"I've seen him training the last couple of days and his touch is unbelievable," the 20-year-old revealed.

"Just having him around the place in training you are going to learn things, let alone him coming into games and playing alongside him.

"I am going to try and learn little things from him because in the prime of his career he was one of the best players around. You've got to learn from these players and it is great that the club are bringing in players like that to learn from."

http://tinyurl.com/3akjovz

if he starts mixing it up with a range of short passes then i couldnt be happier. Only criticism would be that he looks for the long ball a lot.

Hes great though!

All i was asking yesterday, was for our players to give him the Ball more often.

He would be dynamite sitting in the hole between the midfield and strikers, he really would 8)

1 thing i respect a lot about him is that he is not afraid to get on the ball and try things. We need more players like this

I agree. It's a change for the good to see players who want and have the ability to do something with the ball. Ireland can be included in this category once he's firing again.

He will learn in time but as people have said, sometimes he's just got to pop the ball off 10 yards and then go and get the next one, no need to force it. Just look at Paul Scholes, his first thought is usually the killer ball or a switch....not on, then play it simple not 'keep looking....i'll try anyway'....if you keep trying the same passes, defenders just switch on and are ready, keep it short, keep getting on the ball and then look for the wonder ball when there is a good opportunity. A good 10 yard pass through the middle of a midfield can be just as effective as a 60 yard ball out wide. Just need to pick the right option.