Barry Bannan

villianusa

Bannan's an immortal. Must be. That's the only reason he's short, he must've encountered another Highlander in his youth (the point when a Highlander stops aging). We've got a player for eternity who can only be stopped by decapitation.

Hopefully Nigel de Jong is dropped when we play Man City then.

Don't remind me. :|

Apologies if this interview has been posted elsewhere already.

Stv Interview

Gary McAllister believes Barry Bannan’s emergence couldn’t have been better timed. The young midfielder, who made his Scotland debut on Tuesday, capped off a memorable week by signing a new long-term deal with Aston Villa on Friday.

At just 20, Bannan has rose from relative obscurity to burst into Gerard Houllier’s first team, earning an international call-up as a result and impressing against the Faroe Islands in a central midfield role.

A diminutive figure at just 5ft 7in, Bannan may have fallen by the wayside in the past because of his height. But McAllister, a coach of the Airdrie-born player at Villa Park, says the impact Spain’s all-conquering squad have had on the game has changed attitudes in Bannan’s favour.

“I think in the last four to five years, Spain have emerged as a national team with Barcelona’s style of football,” McAllister said in an exclusive interview for STV Sports Centre. “The personnel within those two great sides are guys of similar build to Barry Bannan.

“I think the fact that they have won European championships, Champions League and World Cups maybe just opened people’s eyes to that you don’t have to be six foot and be able to run 100 metres in 10 seconds to be a good footballer.

“He is a smashing technician. He wants to train, he loves training and is a genuine, old fashioned, gallus Scottish player.

“I think youth gives you that fearless attitude - the bigger the better. Against Manchester United the other weekend he looked as if he had been in that type of company all his life.”

“Similar to Charlie Adam, who took the Championship by storm, he is holding his own and more in the Premier League. [They are] two footballers I think we saw a lot of a few years ago in Scotland. Guys who can manipulate the ball, see a pass and can have a crack at goal.”

As the former captain of the Scottish national side, McAllister had a fine career in the game, leading Liverpool to UEFA Cup success as a 35-year-old to great acclaim.

His role at Villa under Houllier is now very much about bringing on the stars of tomorrow and McAllister says the likes of Bannan can only benefit from what he learned during his career.

“That’s my job,” he said. “I am not going to sit here and say I am this wonderful coach who is going to come up with amazing, unique ideas. What I want to do with all the midfielders here, as that’s where I played, is just pass on experience. “

Great stuff from Gary Mac, there is so much Bannan can learn from the likes of Gary and Gordon.

Glad he sees and recognises the potential of the lil fella. :thumb:

I'm sure those young players who were brought through and played regularly such as Gabby and A Young (as they were at the time) were more than happy with MON. He also showed faith when spending big money on Delph.

The players who are happy he is gone are those who weren't playing.

It seems to me that people are forgetting all of the good MON did just because he isn't here now.

To say he wasn't good at motivating his players flies in the face of pretty much everything he achieved in his 4 years at the club.

MR.Smalljob, I understand you didn't have a positive view towards MON but you are being unfair. He turned our team into an young English set up which consisted of buying in English players and looking to the academy at 1 or 2 players which worked. This is from finishing 16th to continuous improvement up until we went to as far as we could go (Europe). Great achievement.

Regarding Barry Bannan, I'm so glad Kev Mac and Houllier gave him a chance otherwise had MON still been in charge Barry would probably be playing for Blackpool right now permanently, and had probably gone for something stupid like 250k.

MR.Smalljob, I understand you didn't have a positive view towards MON but you are being unfair

The past don't matter anymore. But I have a very positive view towards GH :-)

If it doesn't matter any more, why do you keep talking about it? 8)

The nightmares. who can stop them? :lol:

Agbonlahor, Albrighton, Lichaj, Clark and now Bannan have all signed deals in the last two or three weeks - my faith in our off field staff is gradually restored. Luke Young, Nigel Reo Coker and if it's at all possible, Ashley Young next please.

Amen to that, so nice to see them signing new contracts.

Hopefully another boost for blackburn game?