Barry Bannan

villianusa

And to think, MoN wanted to sell him to Blackpool in the summer...........I'm starting to think that if MoN had remained in charge it will have seriously stunted the growth of our younger lads, perhaps to the extent that they would have never had the chance at all here.....

And to think, MoN wanted to sell him to Blackpool in the summer...........I'm starting to think that if MoN had remained in charge it will have seriously stunted the growth of our younger lads, perhaps to the extent that they would have never had the chance at all here.....

who said he wanted to sell him? he may of let him out on loan again.

You also have to remember that MON and kevin mcdonald helped him on and others on the way by playing them in europe and giving them some experience.

You also have to remember that MON and kevin mcdonald helped him on and others on the way by playing them in europe and giving them some experience.

I'm sure I remember someone ITK saying that MON had told Bannan to look for a new club in pre-season.

There was also an interview with MON a while back, saying that Barry wasn't tall enough to make it in the Prem.

I was a big MON fan when he was here. But if he'd stayed we would probably now be without our best fullback, Bannan and NRC. Him leaving was a blessing in disguise, in my opinion!

I believe it was documented that he was almost shipped out to Blackpool permanently.

Bannan was also one of the first to comment on MoN leaving which suggests they didn't get along.

I too was a big fan of MoN but in hindsight, I'm starting to think his leaving might just be the making of us, always easy to think this way after nearly beating united though, am sure we'll all have a different opinion if we get bullied out of the game by Blackburn this week

Brilliant to see a proper footballer in CM, none of Petrov's or NRC's bullshit, but a real player. Just hope he can push on form here. It was so good to see busy, intelligent play for a change. Looks like he's got the tools to be a very good player.

If we can keep hold of them both, Bannan and Delph should be one of the most complete midfields we've had for a long time.

I'm very excited to see this.

Me too, though the only slight reservation would be the fact that in a 4-4-2 the midfield would lack balance with three left-footers. Less of a problem with 4-4-1-1 (provided the withdrawn striker does his job properly) or in the more fluid system which GH prefers.

I think Delph can be this enforcer, but possibly needs to up his tempo. He does have a tendancy to glide about with an Ireland-like approach to urgency.

He's supposed to be a box to boxer though and he isn't a great tackler, suppose he could adapt though. Just hope he comes back OK from the injury. Shouldn't expect too much of him too early either, he's barely started a game for us and lacks experience.

If we can keep hold of them both, Bannan and Delph should be one of the most complete midfields we've had for a long time.

I'm very excited to see this.

Me too, though the only slight reservation would be the fact that in a 4-4-2 the midfield would lack balance with three left-footers. Less of a problem with 4-4-1-1 (provided the withdrawn striker does his job properly) or in the more fluid system which GH prefers.

Don't really see a problem here. Most teams have at least 3 right footers in midfield. Don't see why having same amount just left-footed makes a difference. Also worked fine against Fulham with Clarke in centre mid.

Bannan and Gardner will be the best combination, IMO, if Gardner can regain his fitness. Bannan looks like a very good player indeed, a little rash at times but his vision and range of passes are a breath of fresh air. The one pass for Downing split Man U in two, it was hard to spot on TV let alone from 5ft something high and 35 yards away, its this type of ability that cannot be trained into players, their born with it.

If he can keep his confidence up and string a few games together like this one then hopefully he can become a great player for us, a Gordan Cowans for the next 10 years.....? I hope so!

I like Bannon's vision and the fact that he doesn't waste a pass. A mid-fielder whose first instinct is to go forward is alright by me.

Incidently if we want a midfield enforcer what are the thoughts about Lassana Diarra. Seems to be surplus to requirements and I'll bet Harry Redknapp is eyeing him up.

It will be interesting to see the midfield set up when Delph is back. Houllier mentioned he went for a 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1 style against Man U and we played very well. I didn't really notice a change in formation from previous games though. Whatever the change was, it did seem to suit us better.