Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

downing wanted to go i dont think the board had an option to keep him,i'd rather we let him go than keep a player who isnt commited to the famous claret and blue and im sure most villa fans agree.i also think theres players coming as letting ash and downing go without a back up plan would be suicide so heres me praying that my beloved club brings in some top quality replacements.N'zogbia would be ideal and i believe given is a better all round keeper than friedel so theres anouther plus point of course thats hoping they decide to come to the villa.parker would be a great midfield dynamo so come on villa lets get all us villa fans looking forward to the new season!!! :winkold:

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i also think theres players coming as letting ash and downing go without a back up plan would be suicide so heres me praying that my beloved club brings in some top quality replacements

I think this is a certainty. Alot of the moaners wont stop moaning until it actually happens though.

Stewart Downing talked the talk of loyalty – then walked

By joining Liverpool Downing will have made few friends at Aston Villa, who have lost four England midfielders in two years

reddit this

Comments (105)

Stewart Downing arrives at Liverpool's Melwood training ground after completing his move from Aston Villa. Photograph: Dave Thompson/PA

It was April Fool's Day, which, in hindsight, was a clue that it would be dangerous for the reporters gathered at Bodymoor Heath to take everything that Stewart Downing was saying at face value. "Yes, I am happy here," replied Downing when asked whether he would stay at the club irrespective of what division they were in next season. "There is speculation that players are going to clubs all the time but I am happy here."

Downing went on to talk about the debt of gratitude he felt towards Villa because they had paid Middlesbrough £12m for him, two years ago, when he was on crutches and had no chance of playing a game until four months into the season. "A lot of faith went into me when Martin [O'Neill, the former manager] paid a lot of money for me when I was injured," he said. "It was a serious injury but I was over the moon."

A little more than a month later, and on the back of a thoroughly deserved clean sweep of the club's end-of-season player-of-the-year awards, Downing gave an interview to the Birmingham Mail, when he spoke with excitement about the prospect of signing a new contract at Villa. "I think there's been a couple of conversations already with my agent," Downing said. "I've already spoken to the manager who has said he'd like to keep me. I'm enjoying my stay here. I've enjoyed it since the first day I came. It's a terrific football club. It's fantastic they want me ... The important thing in football is, if you're happy, then why change it? I know it's been a disappointing season, but I can see the bigger picture."

Those Villa supporters who expressed their relief on various message boards, describing Downing, quite rightly, as the silver lining in a dreadful season, were in for a shock two weeks later. "My agent had a recent meeting with our chief executive," said Downing in an interview with the Northern Echo. "However, I am 26, and at a major crossroads in my career, so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment."

Downing might as well not have bothered uttering the last three words. He was never going to sign a new contract. The writing was on the wall and it also appeared on the paperwork submitted to Villa yesterday afternoon, when Downing submitted a formal transfer request. Neither Gareth Barry nor James Milner had felt the need to take that course of action. Villa were left with little option. After all, what is there to be gained from holding on to a player against his will?

Villa did that for 12 months with Barry, who also pined for the chance to move to Anfield, although the circumstances were very different back then. First, Liverpool failed to meet Villa's asking price for Barry, which made it easier for the club to dig their heels in. Second, Villa were starting off the season with genuine ambitions of trying to qualify for the Champions League. Third, Barry had a long affinity with Villa and could be trusted to perform even if he was denied the move that he coveted. None of the above applies in relation to Downing.

It is, of course, easy to see why Downing is attracted to moving to Liverpool. As well as the chance to line his pocket, he is joining a club that appears resurgent under Kenny Dalglish. They have spent close to £100m since the start of the year and are genuine contenders for a top-four finish. Villa, on the other hand, are sliding in the opposite direction. The appointment of Alex McLeish as manager lacked imagination and top-six finishes are a thing of the past.

Whether Villa could have done anything about Downing's departure or not, the reality is that the former Middlesbrough winger has become the fourth England midfielder to leave the club in the last two years. Villa, in other words, are a selling club that serve as a stepping stone for players with greater ambitions.

As long as that remains the case, players like Downing will continue to move on and it is difficult to criticise them for doing so provided they are honest about their position. Downing, however, was happy to lead supporters up the garden path, saying all the right things until the moment he left Villa Park on the final day of the season. It is something he might be reminded of when he returns with Liverpool in the middle of December.

Guardian

I can understand selling Young - it makes sense. It makes no sense to sell Downing. Did we let Barry go after he fought so much more a few years ago? No we didn't, and this situation is almost identical. We have given up as a club, and to me that is unacceptable.

We didn't need to sell Downing, and we didn't need to let Friedel go.

Poor.

We would of if Plop had met our 18 million valuation.

So Andreas Steiber and Marc Albrighton are our only wingers? Maybe McLeish spent some time in Italy and going 4312?? Trying to find some optimism in this. :?

Stated some time ago that he would go and now that he has gone it is up to the board and manager to replace the players we have sold and released with either the same or better quality. N'Zogbia and Johnson would do just that. Definately more creativity in our team with those two in. It might also stop Bent having a word with his agent.

As for the rest there are quality players available to improve the team but i'm not sure i have the confidence in the board and the manager to spend what is needed to heal the wounds at our Villa at the moment.

Don't worry, we still have some fansliving in cloud cookoo land thinking everything will be okay and we'll master the arts of the transfer market thanks to the talented Alex McLeish and the board.

It'll probably take a relegation for them to realise the shit has hit the fan.

Spot on - we are a bottom half team from now on.

Goodbye Five Year Plan, Hello Championship

Don't worry, we still have some fansliving in cloud cookoo land thinking everything will be okay and we'll master the arts of the transfer market thanks to the talented Alex McLeish and the board.

Bookmarked for future gloating :)

i also think theres players coming as letting ash and downing go without a back up plan would be suicide so heres me praying that my beloved club brings in some top quality replacements

I think this is a certainty. Alot of the moaners wont stop moaning until it actually happens though.

I love your optimism but we now need to sign five just to stand still (Freidel, Walker, Young, NRC and Downing) - If we sign anything of the quality of Young and Downing I'll be staggered.

Bottom half team from now on!!! If we're lucky

Given what we know at the moment where do you see us finishing then?

Given what we know at the moment where do you see us finishing then?

Top 8 is my prediction

Â