Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Downing is sold, it will mark the the completion of a transformation from an upwardly mobile club, close to breaking into the top 4, to that of a selling club, content with mid-table mediocrity.

Every club bar 1/2 is a selling club, it's what you do money.

If you simply spend less than all of the Downing money if he were to be sold, it'd say to me we are pretty content with not even improving, but spending all the Downing money and money on top, shows we still want to push forward.

Again obvious example is Tottenham, lost Berbatov, Keane, Carrick all within 2 years. 2 years after that, they were top 4.

No chance of us doing that IMO because of how competitive league has become but I think it's been shown, losing players is part of the game, it's how you then re-invest the money what matters.

True, and the next 2 months will tell the tale in terms of Villa's ambition/lack of appeal. But when we are hemorrhaging our best players every season, there is no continuity, no unity, no confidence, fewer players will want to sign with us, and more players will want out. It's a slippery slope, and we're close to free fall.

Unfortunately we are a middle man at the moment and it's hard to get out because simply....

1. We can buy the best players that the top 4 don't want to gamble on from lower teams but no other teams really can afford, maybe apart from Everton (if they sell players)

However unfortunately, we are not then successful enough to keep these players happy enough to stay beyond 2-3 years and the top 4 clubs come sniffing because these players will have proven themselves at top 6/7 clubs as class players.

Tottenham will be exactly the same IMO within the next 2-3 years. They will be able to afford and bring in the best players that top 4 possibly won't go for but once successful there, they will be off. It's already nearly happening with Modric, luckily for Spurs while they did have their success, they signed him up until 2015/2016 is it? so they hold the cards for now.

Did they/were they?

Sounds even more like the Fergie nonsense comparison to me.

Did they/were they to what sorry??

Seems like you fully understood what I meant as you had a whole load of 'analysis' to back up your claim.

There's any number of ways in disagreeing with your similarities but they're all likely to have you putting forward nonsense in support of your next/future claim.

Suffice to say that I think that your repeated 'but look at spurs' is nonsense diverting attention from actually looking at Villa.

We're not Spurs. Spurs is a different club. Man U is a different club.

No, don't ignore what one may glean from other clubs but that's as far as it ought to go.

Okay. It's my belief that we coud re-invest the money from the sales of

Ashley Young and Downing and still improve as a football club by spending money on the right players.

Unfortunately (to answer your post OnlyOne) I don't really see McLeish doing that because I can't see us improving under him generally but I don't believe selling means you're automatically going backwards. Selling and not spending does though.

So...If McLeish doesn't buy a player who's on par (or better) than Young, you're saying we still wouldn't be going backwards? :|

Sorry, I've or you've mis-understood. I think we're going backwards anyway because we have McLeish at the helm, had we even kept Young or even bought someone better than Young. That's my general feeling...

If Downing is sold, it will mark the the completion of a transformation from an upwardly mobile club, close to breaking into the top 4, to that of a selling club, content with mid-table mediocrity.

Every club bar 1/2 is a selling club, it's what you do money.

If you simply spend less than all of the Downing money if he were to be sold, it'd say to me we are pretty content with not even improving, but spending all the Downing money and money on top, shows we still want to push forward.

Again obvious example is Tottenham, lost Berbatov, Keane, Carrick all within 2 years. 2 years after that, they were top 4.

No chance of us doing that IMO because of how competitive league has become but I think it's been shown, losing players is part of the game, it's how you then re-invest the money what matters.

True, and the next 2 months will tell the tale in terms of Villa's ambition/lack of appeal. But when we are hemorrhaging our best players every season, there is no continuity, no unity, no confidence, fewer players will want to sign with us, and more players will want out. It's a slippery slope, and we're close to free fall.

Unfortunately we are a middle man at the moment and it's hard to get out because simply....

1. We can buy the best players that the top 4 don't want to gamble on from lower teams but no other teams really can afford, maybe apart from Everton (if they sell players)

However unfortunately, we are not then successful enough to keep these players happy enough to stay beyond 2-3 years and the top 4 clubs come sniffing because these players will have proven themselves at top 6/7 clubs as class players.

Tottenham will be exactly the same IMO within the next 2-3 years. They will be able to afford and bring in the best players that top 4 possibly won't go for but once successful there, they will be off. It's already nearly happening with Modric, luckily for Spurs while they did have their success, they signed him up until 2015/2016 is it? so they hold the cards for now.

That is why it's so important to get the right manager in. Houllier was a bumbling birdwatcher who almost got us relegated, and AM is hardly the man to convince the likes of Downing that we match his own ambitions.

Had the board went out and got Rijkaard, for example, the tone around VP would be entirely different than it is now.

The hiring of AM was a clear waving of the white flag, IMO. They went out and got a man who will be happy to still manage in the Premiership, and be content with the budget he is given.

"The Five Year Plan"..... :?

Hardly a chance of Bentley coming. He rotted on the bench at the noses. No player bigger than the club but losing your player of the season every summer shows that you are a selling club. Why would another top player come in? Your going to be left with the Collins type journeyman on big bucks.

If Downing goes i would expect Bent to follow to this summer.

Guest villantoby

Think benty will wait to see who comes in and how they link up with him!

N'Zogbia and more importantly Milner are musts! I know the Milner return is highly unlikely but think he is the missing piece of the jigsaw in the middle of the park for us!

downing wont be going anywhere, cant people remember what krulak said?

we have a new manager now so as all managers are equal and it makes no difference ambition wise it must floow that downing will now stay

unless of course the players now feel the manager is a shit appointment who will play shit football and they try and bail out as soon as they can?

IF Downing chucks in a transfer request - i'd still demand £20m.

This is the silly season of transfers as all the 'big' clubs are buying now to allow for next season's restrictions...

As for Downing, i'll be very disappointed with him if this is true.

Taken, whilst injured from a relegated team and in the international wilderness and turned his career domestically and internationally around only to chuck it back in the club's face....

Definately a case of an agent interfering yet again, trying to line their own pockets on the back of a transfer.....cnuts

He's not irreplacable, however with the loss of Young we already have one void to fill - trying to find two quality wingers will be a lot harder.

Thank god we have Albrighton!

Story is poorly written by Nursery saying we used Young money to pay for Bent deal lol!

Why is that poorly written? Perhaps the club fully expected Young to leave in the summer so put up the money in January in the expectation of getting it back in the summer. See it as a loan of sorts.

Get rid, bring in Bentley and Nzogbia as replacements.

Thats the most uninspiring thing I have read since the appointment of McLeish. Waste of money both.

The point is, players will want to be part of a club that is progressing, competing and with a positive message. We have lost all of that in the space of two years. The rights and wrongs of ONeill aside, the reason players like Young, Downing, Milner etc joined us was because we looked to be on the up.

Now, we are heading in the opposite direction, the appointment of McLeish sends out a signal of resignation and even with 40 million to spend I fail to see how he can inspire quality players such as Downing or the like to sign or re-sign. Its no good having a big kitty if players are seeing a club losing its quality players. If Downing goes, I will be surprised if Bent is still here in January.

To sell our two best players in one summer is lunacy plain and simple ....just can't see it happening ....but then again nothing would surprise me after recent events

This.. even if we sell Downing I'd rather we got replacements in first (proper replacements not bentley or anyone like that)

The Mirror article is a bag of shit. Why would a shit Mirror reporter know that we financed the Bent deal with the Young money? I bet if you look back to when we signed Bent the same **** would claim that we used the Milner money for the deal. Nobody has a clue what we do as we do our business behind closed doors.

The thing that really pisses me off is the way that Villa will have nothing to spend on attack as McLeish is apparently happy with selling Young & Downing and we only need a GK & a defender. **** that no manager in their right mind would sell Young & Downing and not replace either. The Liverpool love session in the article is also pathetic.

If Downing hands in a transfer request, I would reject it and stick him in the reserves. See if Liverpool are still interested after Stewie's had to pick splinters out of his arse for 12 months!

I'm sick and tired of players who are quite happy to sign the contracts, but then don't want to honour them. Thanks to Bosman's, a 4 yr contract is actually a 2/3 yr contract - 2 years left you can just about get full transfer value, but 1 yr left and you're having to accept cut price!

I know RL won't because football is business these days, but I would love to see us make an example of him, just to show these players who the boss is!!

I don't believe Downing owes us anything - we got him injured in the first place, thus getting in ahead of Spurs and getting a decent price. I just want him to honour the deal he made.

The thing that is really sticking in my throat about this potential deal is that we've seen this before with Barry, Milner, Young and now Downing - it's the old "I want to play Champions League football" line trotted out. Well no disrespect meant, but we're not exactly Wigan so how about you guys roll up your f***ing sleeves and get US into the Champions League!!

Â