Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Just wish he'd try to get to the outside more when he's 1-on-1 with his fullback, even if it is on his weaker foot. Needs some variety, balls being sent in from closer to the goal line, rather than always looking to cross/shoot from the top of the 18 or pass it back or infield. Can still cut back and cross with his left, just try to get the defensive line pulled deeper and give our other attacking players the time to make runs (if they will!).

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't think Downing works hard enough and is too one-footed. His technique (on his left foot) is exquisite, he could trap a ball that has dropped from the clouds, but when he moves the ball on he rarely seems to bust a gut to carry on the move in a more advanced position. He's happy to plod along behind the player he's just passed it to.

If he could show more desire to get into forward positions he'd be a very dangerous player.

agree with the two previous posts. there are times when he is 1 on 1 with the full back, room to run into and he will check back and play a square ball. i'm all for keeping possession, but when the chance is there to get into a dangerous position you have to take it.

there was a good example in the england game where he had actually beaten his man and was at the edge of the 18 yard box. there was room to carry on, get to the 6 yard box and cut back the ball for an easy tap in. yet he chose not to and played a square pass to a man who was covered.

he needs to be more ruthless in the final third, because he has a lot of ability. he could still do with manning up a bit on the defensive side of things as well

He's impressed me this season but is often too greedy and tends to shoot when he could easily pass to someone in a goalscoring opportunity - similar to a chance against Blackpool away. He has a good shot on him though to be fair so I don't blame him for having a pop. And yes I agree he is incredibly pacy when he wants to be.

Most creative player, best footballer, and probably our quickest midfielder. He also has an excellent reading of the game when required to do the defensive side, look at the game v Chelsea he neutralised Ashley Cole that day. Unfortunatley because he's not the bravest there's a bit of hate out there for him, when his primary role is to attack for us. Meanwhile the wingers who do put a foot in, have a habit of losing the tackle or giving away fouls in bad areas.

4 of his 5 seasons at Middlesbrough, he played 34 or more Premiership games out of 38....so not sure where this has come from that injury free run??

infact, 07/08 he played every single league games. 08/09...he would of played every single game had Petrov not injured him the game before end of season, so missing 1 game in 2 seasons...

4 of his 5 seasons at Middlesbrough, he played 34 or more Premiership games out of 38....so not sure where this has come from that injury free run??

infact, 07/08 he played every single league games. 08/09...he would of played every single game had Petrov not injured him the game before end of season, so missing 1 game in 2 seasons...

Oh right, to be honest I was just quoting a friend who was a middlesborough fan...he used to complain that he was injured alot, or so it seemed.

It's not as if I ever tracked the progress of Middlesborough just felt like my mate was complaining every week.

So it's quite likely that I'm massively wrong, could be just an exadurated memory of how many times my mate actually said he was injured :lol:

I think he's wasted on the right wing tbh, he's ment to be creating more for the likes of Bent but because the way the team is set up so bad it just won't work. Downing on the left with Albrighton on the right.

maybe, though the first half against Blackpool he was unplayable on the right.

I think he's wasted on the right wing tbh, he's ment to be creating more for the likes of Bent but because the way the team is set up so bad it just won't work. Downing on the left with Albrighton on the right.

maybe, though the first half against Blackpool he was unplayable on the right.

That's fair enough, but I'd rather see him putting balls into the box than cutting in and having the odd shot on goal. We need him and Albrighton wiping in crosses for Bent and Ash/Gabby also we need more numbers getting into the box from midfield.

strangest thing was when capello put him on the right too...

i agree that as good as it is to see him cutting in and shaping in to shoot id still rather see him gambling at the back post on the left, the bottling tackles seemingly went away and then came back typical how when he did it for england it broke for johnson

Â