The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

50 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

The Jack Grealish Player Swap challenge:

Can you name me 5 players in all of world football who you would do a direct swap for today for Jack Grealish?

The Jack Grealish Player Swap challenge - Expert Mode:

Can you name me 10 players in world football who you would do a direct swap for today for Jack Grealish?

Mbappe, Halaand, De bruyne, Felix (maybe), Sancho if he can reclaim his form. 

Any other player that must teams would value more highly than Jack. Then we sell them back and get jack back.

Dybala, Gnabry, Lewa, Alphonso Davies maybe, Kimmich

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Mbappe, Halaand, De bruyne, Felix (maybe), Sancho if he can reclaim his form. 

Any other player that must teams would value more highly than Jack. Then we sell them back and get jack back.

Dybala, Gnabry, Lewa, Alphonso Davies maybe, Kimmich

No other star will ever have the same feeling for the club as Jack does......His whole Family are ingrained in Villa.

He has to stay with us......He has said it once My Club,My home.

there is nothing more to say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a tough question. I could name quite a few players who are BETTER than Jack Grealish.

But would I swap them with him? That's a much tougher question. Him being a Villa fan and the WAY he plays are big pulls as to why I love watching him play so much.

For example, is Sadio Mane a better player than Jack Grealish? Yeah he probably is. Would I trade Grealish for him? Would I ****

Is the right answer

I'm fairness there are 5 players maybe 10 at bayern Munich alone who are "better" than him 

But Jack is a Villa fan living the dream and he just has that guile and style about him that makes him so watchable 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Is the right answer

I'm fairness there are 5 players maybe 10 at bayern Munich alone who are "better" than him 

But Jack is a Villa fan living the dream and he just has that guile and style about him that makes him so watchable 

"better" is very subjective.

Right now I don't see too many players better....players have great moments just like Jack does, but his consistency is rising all the time.

I don't think Jack would have quite the same intrinsic motivation, to get even better as he does playing for us.....and I don't think any other club, would have the same interest in building a team around him either.....he would just be thrown in.

• Like 1

Yeah agreed with all of the above. There are better, but no one else I’d rather have. He is Villa through and through, his family is Villa through and through - his great-great grandfather is the 9th highest Villa scorer. No other current legend at other clubs can argue that. I’d love him to stay for his whole career and then some. 

• Thanks 1

2016/17 he seemed to have mastered that curler into the far corner after cutting inside. We've only seen the one against United since then. If he had that in his locker, defenders wouldn't know whether to stick or twist. He could cut inside and score, or go on the outside and cut it back.

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I love Jack. Great player and a joy to watch. But some of the best in the world stuff is way of OTT. If he really is that good he should be carrying us to top 6.  

One player can't carry a team. Jack is as good as or better than any 'top six' team player - but on average, the rest of our first XI (and certainly our squad) still falls short. Hopefully, that will change over the next couple of seasons, and then who knows? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

One player can't carry a team. Jack is as good as or better than any 'top six' team player - but on average, the rest of our first XI (and certainly our squad) still falls short. Hopefully, that will change over the next couple of seasons, and then who knows? 

they can't....but in terms of premier league survival, he come close.

On 16/11/2020 at 00:49, TRO said:

that as well....but he is better too.

I think he probably has improved - you would expect most players to as they approach their peak (maybe 26-30??) - but it is really hard to say how much is down to playing with better players around him and how much is due to his own self improvement.

Someone told me that his agent had sat him down a few years ago and told him to get rid of all of the "hangers on" and get focussed if he wanted to optimise his career return and that he had done this.  I also know, from a good source, that Jack is always the last one in the gym (only Terry - when he was playing - apparently put as much in).  This would probably have coincided with around the time he had the serious injury.  Before that he always looked like a real talent - you only need to look at the Liverpool quarter final and the Blue Carling Cup game from a few years back to see this - but since then he has turned into a serious athlete (indeed the commentators seem to spend almost as much time talking about his calves as they do his footballing ability). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

they can't....but in terms of premier league survival, he come close.

Agreed.  If you have a difference maker - like Jack - in your team and the other team doesn't (i.e. 21 average players on the pitch and Jack), then Jack's team will prevail 9 times out of ten you would think.

On 16/11/2020 at 14:07, KentVillan said:

Sterling played this role in the World Cup, didn't he? More of a striker than a midfielder, but he was playing centrally and giving Kane licence to drop deeper.

These heatmaps are quite interesting:

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/eng-30-0624-eng-pan-playersheatmap-pdf-2967278.pdf?cloudid=ab5wmqruavc9ucve0gkz

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/eng-62-0711-cro-eng-playersheatmap-pdf-2985126.pdf?cloudid=cwdi0e2ztlq6umhq29fc

I think we could play a 4-1-3-2. Very attacking lineup, but gets most of the best talent into the side, and Mount/Kane/Sterling are all good enough to drop deeper when needed:

McCarthy
Trent  ???    Mings   Saka
          Rice
   Sancho Mount Grealish
      Kane   Sterling

I noticed when Harry winks came on things got better......you have to have a busy bee in the middle winning the ball or turning it over.

Its ok having all the talent under the sun, but who is going to give them the ball.....I am not sure about Rice, unsure about his mobility and speed to the ball, Ward Prowse does a bit of ratting very well too.

its so important to get balances right, too many offensive players look great on paper, but in reality can struggle.

some players are great on the ball, but not so good off it......Belgium was brilliant off the ball,( and we know they are good with it) and that's was showed up in their defending. 

as an example..who would have thought Nobby stiles would be a world cup winner......who would have thought Des Bremner would be a Euro Cup Winner.

Balance is key.

Edited by TRO

16 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I think he probably has improved - you would expect most players to as they approach their peak (maybe 26-30??) - but it is really hard to say how much is down to playing with better players around him and how much is due to his own self improvement.

Someone told me that his agent had sat him down a few years ago and told him to get rid of all of the "hangers on" and get focussed if he wanted to optimise his career return and that he had done this.  I also know, from a good source, that Jack is always the last one in the gym (only Terry - when he was playing - apparently put as much in).  This would probably have coincided with around the time he had the serious injury.  Before that he always looked like a real talent - you only need to look at the Liverpool quarter final and the Blue Carling Cup game from a few years back to see this - but since then he has turned into a serious athlete (indeed the commentators seem to spend almost as much time talking about his calves as they do his footballing ability). 

I think you are right....his dedication is legendary.....I think he has more to give( not being ungrateful)

Edited by TRO

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think our first XI now is close to on a par with the top 6 - the Liverpool, Leicester and Arsenal games show that - particularly the less good members of the top 6 like Arsenal (I do acknowledge that the first two had a number of players missing when we played them).  Certainly when they turn up and play.

Our issue is depth and we could do with one or two more "difference makers" to rotate/rest/make tactical changes to really challenge.

I believe that Jack is now on a par with the "game changers" in the top 6 like KDB, Sterling, Mane, Kane & Son etc. but he need the rest of the team to be "on it" to give him the platform.  He can't play on his own - he would get 2 or 3 players on him if the others don't pose a threat/draw them away - and he can't play if he doesn't have the ball BUT give him the platform and he can deliver as he shown in games this season.

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

True. Before my time but what was the rest of the Napoli and Argentina team like compared to Maradonna. Did he carry that team as much as people make out or were their a lot of other good players too?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â