The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Its frankly ridiculous that Jack will be 25 this year and still has yet to play for England. Can you think how many bang average players who have had caps for England in the past 5 years?

If he does leave to a to 6 club he will then be automatic squad pick, regardless if he is playing better or not.

Man. United probably won't go over 50m given they signed Bruno Fernandes for 47m according to reports at the time although don't know how long he had left on his deal at Sporting clube.

Wonder if Man. City might actually come in for him if they do get banned from CL in the end, De Bruyne has hinted he could leave if that happens and they're already losing Silva in the summer (Sane also getting linked with Bayern Munich every week for last six months).

Mahrez in return?😉 Man City signed him for 60m so they'd pay more than Man. United if they were seriously interested.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Grealish could never be described as being unhappy at Villa as he has a spiritual attachement to the club, he'd might be disappointed if a move was denied him but I don't think he'd be one to cause trouble, he was denied a move to Tottenham and still got on with it and captained the side to promotion.

He might be unhappy currently because we’re languishing in the relegation zone, I don’t know I am not him. We as fans don’t know if he’s unhappy. Yes, if Tottenham did come in for him, we don’t know if he’d want to go them. Was he denied a move to Tottenham? I thought it was just press speculation

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He might be unhappy currently because we’re languishing in the relegation zone, I don’t know I am not him. We as fans don’t know if he’s unhappy. Yes, if Tottenham did come in for him, we don’t know if he’d want to go them. Was he denied a move to Tottenham? I thought it was just press speculation

According to him he thought he was going, we subbed him v Hull in the first game of 18/19 just so the fans could applaud him off one more time. Luckily the new owners really wanted to keep him so that was that and he led us to promotion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Was he denied a move to Tottenham? I thought it was just press speculation

Daniel Levy denied him a move, by offering peanuts. I'm glad and I hope that anybody else that wants him in the next window makes the same mistake.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

£80m is a made up figure by the press, I would be amazed if he went anywhere near amount. He still hasn’t had one good full season in the Premier League, I’m watching the MLS on freesports channel 64 on freeview and I’d say that the quality is on par with The Championship. Don’t get me wrong, I think Grealish is a very talented footballer with scope to improve, it is hard to believe that he is still only 24 years old, it feels like he’s been around our first team for a long time. It’s a very inflated market at the minute, £20m doesn’t even guarantee you a good Premier League player these days. Alex Iwobi went to Everton last Summer for £40m and he can’t a game for them, in my opinion Grealish and Iwobi have similar levels of ability. I would accept £35m if it meant that we could spend the entire amount on rebuilding the side again, what do you think is a fair value of Grealish’s ability nick76? Do you think that he will leave this Summer? 

£35m.  I cant even take you seriously now.  I accept that that's your opinion but wow £35m is crazy.

I cant agree that Iwobi and Grealish have similar levels of ability either.  You seem to have changed your opinion of Jack quite a lot during this lockdown by starting slow and now I thought you were raving about him in the last week but now you put him at Iwobi's level who as you say cant get a game for them.

Therefore

1) For me, we dont need to sell him as we dont need the money, we can still spend even if we dont sell him.  FFP is going to be hard to enforce with the issues of season being down and decrease in revenues.  We still have three years on his contract so we arent about to lose him so no need to cash out now.  Then we think of the value he is to our team. 

2) Then compare to market, all we have is historical data and is debatable how the virus will affect prices (I dont think they will).

Ndombele was £54m, aged 23, just starting his international career.

De Jong, £65m, aged 23, just starting his international career.

Pepe was £72m, aged 25, no international caps

Pulisic was £58m, aged 21, international caps but only USA

Dembele, was £97m, aged 23, some good caps

Keita  was £53m, aged 25, international caps but only Guinea

So I tried to look at valuations of players that are young, around Jack's age, on the fringes of their international squad or played some games.  I certainly wouldnt put Iwobi in Jack's category but maybe you can argue about some of the players I have picked but I'm assuming not all of them.

So considering 1) that we dont need to sell and we still have 3 years on his contract, based on 2) we shouldnt be looking at very worse case scenario at anything less than £55m from above market comparisons.

Now I think that is still way too low given everything I have said in 1) and a serious valuation based on the above is £70m.

But

We dont need to sell and dont want to sell so the buying club would need to provide a premium before we'd even consider selling hence why the £80m is not unreasonable.

I personally wouldnt sell him at all, even if he put in a transfer request.  We are building a football club, i dont think we'd use the £80m well enough to get replacement enough for Jack, so I wouldnt even start discussing with other teams, I would just say no thanks before they even start discussing.

If we sold Jack for £35m there would be mutiny from fans.

36 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They won't pay up 80 mill for Jack.

They did so for Maguire because they were desperate in that position.

They are pretty stacked in midfield.

Great, well they dont get him then......it's fairly simple.  We dont need to sell Jack at whatever price Man Utd want to pay.

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think my opinion differs most from you here. I would put Grealish in a bracket above Iwobi. Iwobi is a very fine player, but on the evidence of the 2019-20 season that was, the only midfielder I saw that was better than Grealish was De Bruyne. I'd say Grealish is a slightly better all round player than Dele Alli - how much would you value Alli at?

Stats don’t always tell the whole story, how much would I value Alli at currently? Before the CoronaVirus, he was looking like he was regaining his best goalscoring form from midfield. Alli is more of a goal threat than Grealish but Grealish is a more well rounded footballer in my opinion. I think Alli is worth currently about £30m. I think it is worth remembering that Alli is a central attacking midfielder and that Grealish’s best position is a left sided forward, almost as a false number 9,!how much would you value Alli at OBE?

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

According to him he thought he was going, we subbed him v Hull in the first game of 18/19 just so the fans could applaud him off one more time. Luckily the new owners really wanted to keep him so that was that and he led us to promotion.

I remember now, thanks for refreshing my memory

59 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

£80m is a made up figure by the press, I would be amazed if he went anywhere near amount. He still hasn’t had one good full season in the Premier League, I’m watching the MLS on freesports channel 64 on freeview and I’d say that the quality is on par with The Championship. Don’t get me wrong, I think Grealish is a very talented footballer with scope to improve, it is hard to believe that he is still only 24 years old, it feels like he’s been around our first team for a long time. It’s a very inflated market at the minute, £20m doesn’t even guarantee you a good Premier League player these days. Alex Iwobi went to Everton last Summer for £40m and he can’t a game for them, in my opinion Grealish and Iwobi have similar levels of ability. I would accept £35m if it meant that we could spend the entire amount on rebuilding the side again, what do you think is a fair value of Grealish’s ability nick76? Do you think that he will leave this Summer? 

Iwobi FFS. El Ghazi is a better player than Iwobi

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Iwobi FFS. El Ghazi is a better player than Iwobi

I rate Iwobi very highly, I was surprised when Arsenal let him go, I don’t know if you’re joking or not when you say that El Ghazi is a better player than Iwobi. We paid £9m for El Ghazi and Everton paid £40m for Iwobi, how can El Ghazi be better than Iwobi?

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

I rate Iwobi very highly, I was surprised when Arsenal let him go, I don’t know if you’re joking or not when you say that El Ghazi is a better player than Iwobi. We paid £9m for El Ghazi and Everton paid £40m for Iwobi, how can El Ghazi be better than Iwobi?

Because I watch football with my eyes and not price tags. Iwobi is pretty crap

• Like 3

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

How do you know that?

How do I know that we dont need to sell Jack at whatever price Man Utd want to pay?

because they dont own us. 

Not sure if you are joking with that question or not?

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think he’s excellent, maybe it’s just me!

Have to say, that's just you.  I was shocked they paid that much for him, seemed a desperate buy at the time.

48 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Its frankly ridiculous that Jack will be 25 this year and still has yet to play for England. Can you think how many bang average players who have had caps for England in the past 5 years?

If he does leave to a to 6 club he will then be automatic squad pick, regardless if he is playing better or not.

Grealish has been in The Championship with Villa for 3 of those 5 years. He has sacrificed a potential move to get us back in the Premier League, I’ll always remember him fondly just for that, not just his exploits on the field for us

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Because I watch football with my eyes and not price tags. Iwobi is pretty crap

Yeah, Newcastle paid almost £40m for Joelinton, doesn't make him a £40m player in ability.

Â