Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

the second Boardwalk Empire was decent too

Totally ruined by the quality of the d/l I got hold of. Choppy and sound way out of synch with the pictures for the most part. Downloaded it a few times and managed to get the same crappy version every time. Balls!

this is england was brilliant again but IMO slightly let down by the channel 4 warning about what you were about to see, the impact wasnt as shocking as last weeks, the dad was a great character not just the rape scenes but like the scene with the mom in the kitchen, real nasty bastard

what i do like is the moments where meadows doesnt have them say, anything, like most of combo's scenes and when trev visits lol, the only criticism id aim at the show was some of the bits where it felt unscripted (no doubt in my mind that large parts of it was unscripted but in particular scenes it doesnt work IMO)

One of Meadows signature techniques is improvisation though. Sometimes I agree that scenes could use a few more takes, the dialogue immediately before Lol's dad assaults her felt a bit weak. I guess you could argue it added to the tension in the room, and it certainly did that, but I'd have liked to have seen the characters be a tiny bit more articulate.

It was superb TV though. I'd like to see another one of these in two or three years. This is England '89 anybody? Imagine how **** great the soundtrack would be!

the dialogue immediately before Lol's dad assaults her felt a bit weak.

Totally disagree there Nays. I thought it made the whole thing even more realistic. Let's face it, she would have hardly been articulate under that sort of stress.

I have to say that I'm suprised that apart from Paddy Considine, none of the regulars in films by Meadows have really gone on to bigger things.

What you on about? Woody was in Emmerdale! :winkold:

the dialogue immediately before Lol's dad assaults her felt a bit weak.

Totally disagree there Nays. I thought it made the whole thing even more realistic. Let's face it, she would have hardly been articulate under that sort of stress.

tbf, I did kinda say that! The improvisation works spectacularly at times, it's just that scene in particular which stuck in my mind as there was just a bit too much repetition in it. I'm being super picky here of course, the show was a triumph as far as I am concerned. I really liked the whole second wedding thing too. It had been set up since the very start of the first show, and it served as the perfect device to stop the rest of the cast interfering in the scene between Lol, her dad and Combo. It was beautifully done.

I'd love to see some kind of redemption story for Combo one day too. Easier said than done I guess, Stephen Graham is doing very well for himself these days (which probably explains his lack of screen time in '86) but he is easily the best actor and character in this universe. More please!

Stephen Graham is doing very well for himself these days (which probably explains his lack of screen time in '86) but he is easily the best actor and character in this universe. More please!

Yes, Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire isn't a bad role is it? :D

I see they made the rapist out to be the bad guy yet again, predictable as anything. That girl attacked him with a hammer, he was actually raping her in self defence.

What you doing out yer pit this early? :-)

Season 3 of Lie To Me has been moved from a start date of November 10th to, err...today!

:hooray:

Thanks Rob, I'll be in the other half's good books for letting her know. That series has a lot to answer for though!

Watched Love/Hate last night, it's a four part gangland drama set in Dublin, it was alright but I wasn't too keen on the casting of Robbie Sheehan (the Irish lad off Misfits), he just doesn't seem right for the part, but will watch again next week.

That series has a lot to answer for though!

I wonder how many people think they can tell if someone is lying now based on how their knee twitches or they scratch the back of their neck thanks to this show.

Â