Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Having seen Kevin-Prince Boateng let off the leash for Ghana compared to the role he played at Spurs and plays to a lesser extent at Pompey, I think he might be a decent shout to replace Milner and give us bite in the middle.

We'd still be able to afford Ireland and have changed left over too; assuming the Milner money is £28m.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having seen Kevin-Prince Boateng let off the leash for Ghana compared to the role he played at Spurs and plays to a lesser extent at Pompey, I think he might be a decent shout to replace Milner and give us bite in the middle.

Well, we do need a new penalty taker.

Stop going?

Haha... we go and sign some really class players and you'd stop going?

Come on, apart from maybe 10 clubs in the whole of the English footballing league, we're just as bad as Man.City. It's not as if we're some Division 2 club who are skint and not spending any money. We've spent an absolute fortune as it is, we're doing exactly what Man.City are doing but on a lesser scale. Chucking money at it.

It's completely different PieFacE.

We're steadily investing in the club. Randy Lerner has ambitions for the club to be able to run itself financially. He has put money into the club, which he decided to do to get us to a standard to compete with the top half of the table.

Man City have invested something like £300m in 2 years. They have bought how many strikers? 5? 6?.. How many midfielders do they currently have?

They can only play so many at a time - which means others miss out. Which, in turn, will effect their careers. Could Ireland be one of the best midfielders in the league if he'd been played constantly for the past 3 years? Probably.

What about England? Clubs bring players through their youth systems which will try to get into the England set up.

How will Man City's youth players do this? Man City are buying the best players from around the world and adding to the amount of foreigners in the league. I don't have a problem with teams having foreigners until it starts to effect me directly.

What if Adam Johnson doesn't get as many appearances this year because of 3 or 4 midfield signings. Will he develop sufficiently to be and England star?... Possibly, but there's also a high chance that he'll be competing so much for a position in the squad that he won't improve as he could.

It effects everyone when clubs splash money about ridiculously. I hate clubs that do it and I'd hate to be a supporter of a club doing it.

And to anyone saying it's the same as Villa. It's not. We've spent so much money in the last 3 years to actually build a squad that is stable (it's not even that much money compared to City), we haven't bought 8 midfielders and 6 strikers. We've bought players to compete for places. (Okay, some of them haven't been upto the required standard - but they've been given a chance - I don't think Santa Cruz, in his first year, at city has had as much game-time as Sidwell in his first year).

Boateng

Defour

Ireland

Meireles

2 of them 4 out of Milner money would make the team a lot better

Meireles and Defour are out of our league

no their not. They are the type of players we need to sign to get into Champions League. We need to sign tehe best players from weaker leagues as they are the hungriest and they want to play in the top league

I'm now beginning to think that Ireland plus A.N.Other is the minimum requirement as a Milner replacement. We need to remember though that our financial woes are partly (or largely?) wage related, so increasing the net size of the squad does nothing for our situation even if we don't spend a large transfer budget.

I think if it is Ireland in for Milner, or someone like him, we're going to need to improve on Petrov. That's not to say Ireland wouldn't graft, but he doesn't have anywhere near Jimmy's engine and Stan's legs aint what they used to be.

We could probably use a proper ball winner anyway. Thing with Stan is he can play a bit too.

Scott Parker it is then?

Boateng

Defour

Ireland

Meireles

no their not. They are the type of players we need to sign to get into Champions League. We need to sign tehe best players from weaker leagues as they are the hungriest and they want to play in the top league

Defour looks nailed on to go to Man Utd, why would Meireles leave Porto who are in CL every season to come to us?

PieFacE wrote:

Stop going?

Come on, apart from maybe 10 clubs in the whole of the English footballing league, we're just as bad as Man.City. It's not as if we're some Division 2 club who are skint and not spending any money. We've spent an absolute fortune as it is, we're doing exactly what Man.City are doing but on a lesser scale. Chucking money at it.

We're steadily investing in the club. Randy Lerner has ambitions for the club to be able to run itself financially. He has put money into the club, which he decided to do to get us to a standard to compete with the top half of the table.

Man City have invested something like £300m in 2 years. They have bought how many strikers? 5? 6?.. How many midfielders do they currently have?

I can see this point. People saying "we do the same thing but on a different scale" miss the point IMO. Of course we do. So does everyone. And it's a fairly similar scale so the league is fairly competitive.

However, if one or two clubs can just spend £500 million then it quickly becomes a joke league.

If Spurs spend £60 million, we spend £40 million and Everton spend £20 million that can still be competitive. If Man City just spend £500 million, it won't be. So what's the point in watching it?

I would not want someone to come in and just buy us the league year after year. Of course I would like someone (like Randy Lerner) who has enough money for us to compete in a decent league. That's not hypocritical.

(If 20 multi-multi-billionaires came in of course, ie every PL club had one, then that would probably make for a decent league!)

Boateng

Defour

Ireland

Meireles

Defour looks nailed on to go to Man Utd, why would Meireles leave Porto who are in CL every season to come to us?

Not saying we'll sign him but on the same basis why would Petrov leave Celtic or Bouma leave PSV? (a) Premier League is a higher standard than their domestic league and (B) money.

Boateng

Defour

Ireland

Meireles

a better challenge in Premier League than Portugal league where their is not much competition. All great players want to better themselves

Boateng

Defour

Ireland

Meireles

Not saying we'll sign him but on the same basis why would Petrov leave Celtic or Bouma leave PSV? (a) Premier League is a higher standard than their domestic league and (B) money.

good point but I think Meireles is average anyway

We'd still be able to afford Ireland and have changed left over too; assuming the Milner money is £28m.

KPB's displays for Portsmouth last year and Ghana in the world cup have been impressive, i would love it if we signed him regardless of Milner staying or going.

Getting both KPB and Ireland would be two quality additions.

Think Ireland will come straight in as Milner's replacement. He may be a Hexagonal peg being forced into an octagonal hole, but in Oneills eyes, thats quite a good fit.

Stop going?

Sorry Rob but I think you're badly and sadly deluded if you think we're that much different to City ultimately.

There's a lot of this going round at the moment and it smacks of people finding nothing other than the chance to try and take the moral high ground as they've nothing else to use. None of us are happy that Milner, and Barry will have gone to City, none of us like the fact that a shit club like them are all of a sudden mixing it with Europe's elite in the transfer market, none of us like Manchester City.

But you don't hear us resorting to ridiculous claims in order to try and make ourselves feel a bit better about it all. Accept it and move on.

Is KPB just the latest en vogue player or would he really be that good for us?

I ask as there was a strong rumour on the last day of a transfer window about two years ago that we had signed him and the reaction on here was something rather less than enthusiastic