Jez

There's always risk involved when you buy new players - look at Shevchenko, prime of his career and surely considered one of the best strikers in the world when he moved to Chelsea but flopped in the end. Ditto for Modric and Berbatov - who's to say at the time of purchase that they wouldn't be flops? In which case Spurs would incur losses if they tried to sell both of them. Of course both players didn't turn out to be such but surely the same benefit of the doubt has to be given to Carroll? Especially considering he's only 21 or 22 so should he have so much as a decent season his value would still be pretty high.

Whether a player has "good financial value" is highly subjective, and this applies to EVERY single player - doesn't matter if he's Modric, Berbatov, Shevchenko or Carroll.

That's my point though, Modric and Berbatov were sold far cheaper which means a smalll risk and their prices reflected their abilities at the time, well Berbatov in particular.

Carroll even if he does well will never been sold for more then then that value and will probably never be worth that. This makes it even more high risk as the price doesn't come close to reflecting his current ability and they're paying for potential.

Fair enough - except that Spurs didn't have the luxury of 50m worth of Torres money to spunk on players ;)

Carroll even if he does well will never been sold for more then then that value and will probably never be worth that. This makes it even more high risk as the price doesn't come close to reflecting his current ability and they're paying for potential.

You simply can't say that you just never know how many goals he will score and what his future value would be.

I reckon Inter will spend big this summer...They have an aging squad (Zanetti is turning 38, Stankovic 33 etc) and will want to bring in new younger players imo..

that said I think the president will look at Leonardo's position before anything else.

is there a chairman in football that has spent more than him?

Inter have a huge squad with some proper dross in it too, obinna for example, will be interesting to see if moratti will bankroll another one or if he'll insist on promoting the likes of castaignos, santon, destro, alibec etc

You don't have to be someone else's definition of value for money. You just have to be banging in the goals week in week out and propelling your side up the league. You then leave the internet message boards to discuss at length the completely irrelevant point of whether you were worth the money your club decided to pay for you. Is Carroll worth £35m? No. Is he a great signing and will he be an asset to Liverpool for years to come? Yes. So I'm not sure what anyone's trying to prove. It'll sure be tiring every time he scores a brace or a hat-trick that has given Liverpool another 3pts to come in here and see people lol'ing that he's not worth £35m. Hollow victory much?

I think the more pertinent question is if he's any good. Personally I'm not sure he is.

Neuer has, supposedly, turned down a new contract at Schalke meaning he's definitely on the move this summer.

Bayern being the obvious conclusion for his next destination, but maybe not, who knows.

His contract runs through to 2012. It's the combination of him rejecting the contract and saying this

I have taken this decision without any external influence,'' explained Neuer on Schalke's website. "The decision has nothing to do with the change of coach or any other person at another club.

"I have a great deal to thank Schalke and their unique fans for, but I would like to have the opportunity for a change after 20 years' faithful service to this club.

"I have made this decision and I wanted to make it public, but now all of the concentration focuses on Schalke's goals for the season. I agree with [director of sport] Horst Heldt that we must have peace and quiet to be as successful as possible in the coming games.''

Heldt added: "As much as it hurts us, we have accepted this development and we respect it. How things develop with Manuel Neuer will emerge in the coming weeks and maybe months, but we are now concentrating on our sporting challenges and the rest will follow in due course.''

that suggests that is that for his Schalke career. I doubt they'd want to let him walk for free in a year or want the cloud hanging over them of knowin their keeper has his mind elsewhere.

Bayern have allegedly agreed a fee for him, but he has been linked to the likes on Manchester United so who knows. Good keeper though.

Yep that is pretty clear, he is off. Can't see him arriving in England but he is a quality keeper.
Why can't you see him arriving at Man Utd? They definitely need a top keeper (as distinct from a project like Lindegaard) and Neuer is definitely on the move; and they have had him watched IIRC. I think it's very possible he'll end up there.

Whether it's Bayern or Man Utd that will get Neuer (personally I think the former) then that team will be set with an absolute top goalkeeper for the next 15 years. Whatever they pay for him it will be a bargain.