Jez

Why not Arsenal?

I know this opinion could be easily dismissed so soon after signing Cech but an expensive (I say expensive I have no idea have much he would cost, I guessing however he wouldn't be cheap) 33yr old just doesn't seem Wenger's style.

I'm not necessarily doubting Arsenals ability to be able to attract/afford him, just Wenger's willingness to saction such a deal.

Edited by av1

Asamoah Gyan is moving to Shanghai SIPG. Apparently getting upwards of £200k a week!

His strike rate in the middle east makes Ronaldo and Messi look like they couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo, he's clearly far too good for these lesser leagues (his international record is still one in two as well) but it seems like he is happy making an absolute fortune being a big fish in a small pond.  I guess he's your guy if you are the owner of a club in a league with a lot of money but not much quality.  

Why not Arsenal?

I know this opinion could be easily dismissed so soon after signing Cech but an expensive (I say expensive I have no idea have much he would cost, I guessing however he wouldn't be cheap) 33yr old just doesn't seem Wenger's style.

I'm not necessarily doubting Arsenals ability to be able to attract/afford him, just Wenger's willingness to saction such a deal.

Zlatan strikes me as the kind of guy who will be as good a player at 35 as he was at 30, maybe a little more susceptible to injury and a little less able to play twice a week when the Champions League is in full swing but like RVP to Manchester United a couple of years ago, maybe a short term signing could be the thing which fires Arsenal to the title. They seem to be 8-10 points off the pace at the moment,  if Zlatan can turn three or four games they otherwise wouldn't have won into games they do collect maximum points from then maybe it's worth the gamble?  Arsenal do have the cash, could it by time to live in the now instead of preparing for a tomorrow which never seems to come? 

ALDERWEIRELD DEAL AGREED

Posted on 8 July 2015  - 09:58

We are delighted to announce the signing of Toby Alderweireld from Atletico Madrid.

The defender has signed a contract with the Club until 2020.

A Belgium international, Toby came through the ranks at Ajax, making 186 appearances and scoring 15 goals during nine years with the Eredivisie champions, where he lifted three league titles and one Dutch Cup.

He was named Ajax Talent of the Year in 2010, an honour also won by Jan Vertonghen and Christian Eriksen during their times in Amsterdam.

Toby joined Spanish side Atletico in 2013 and was part of the squad that won the La Liga title on the last day of the season as well as reaching the Champions League final in the same year.

He made 22 appearances in all for Diego Simeone's side, scoring twice, before impressing on loan at Southampton last season. He played 28 times for the St Mary’s club in all competitions, scoring once.

Capped by Belgium at every level from Under-15 to Under-21, Toby made his senior international debut in 2009 and appeared at the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil, joining Nacer Chadli, Mousa Dembele and Jan Vertonghen in the squad.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/alderweireld-deal-agreed-080715/

The Alderweireld saga is over

I wouldn't be so sure the saga is completely over. I'd expect Southampton to get some form of compensation for Atletico's breach of contract so there could still be a bit of a court case on the horizon.  It won't change who he plays for though.

Saw a funny story in the metro (i know) earlier, can't post link at the moment. 

It claimed Everton have bid £8m for Scott Dann but have been told to double it  :crylaugh: 

ALDERWEIRELD DEAL AGREED

Posted on 8 July 2015  - 09:58

We are delighted to announce the signing of Toby Alderweireld from Atletico Madrid.

The defender has signed a contract with the Club until 2020.

A Belgium international, Toby came through the ranks at Ajax, making 186 appearances and scoring 15 goals during nine years with the Eredivisie champions, where he lifted three league titles and one Dutch Cup.

He was named Ajax Talent of the Year in 2010, an honour also won by Jan Vertonghen and Christian Eriksen during their times in Amsterdam.

Toby joined Spanish side Atletico in 2013 and was part of the squad that won the La Liga title on the last day of the season as well as reaching the Champions League final in the same year.

He made 22 appearances in all for Diego Simeone's side, scoring twice, before impressing on loan at Southampton last season. He played 28 times for the St Mary’s club in all competitions, scoring once.

Capped by Belgium at every level from Under-15 to Under-21, Toby made his senior international debut in 2009 and appeared at the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil, joining Nacer Chadli, Mousa Dembele and Jan Vertonghen in the squad.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/alderweireld-deal-agreed-080715/

The Alderweireld saga is over

Impressed me a lot last season, very good signing for Spurs although I have a feeling he's a long term Vertonghen replacement as think he's only got 1 year left on his deal now.

He was quality but 10 million and I guess 100k a week for a guy that hitting 30 is terrible business. Worst than Bent deal,

He might have a good season or 2 but not worth it