If Gareth Barry had stayed, would we be top 4?

tinker

Would we be top 4 with Gareth Barry?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Would we be top 4 with Gareth Barry?

• Top 4 with Gareth Barry
    • No top 4 with Gareth Barry

I think we would have, he would have given us that extra bit we needed. It would probably have meant Downing would not have signed, but he has not really made an impact, reckon he will next season. Milner would probably not been moved into the centre, or perhaps he would have?

BOF : Poll added

I think had Barry stayed, we would have stagnated. I hated it at the time, but given how well we've done this season, I'm pretty certain it has been good for us. A huge part in my reasoning has been the form of mighty James Milner who has flourished being in the centre (which he himself has recognised as where he thrives).

Barry would definitely offered an alternative to Petrov as the deeper ball playing midfielder, with young Jimmy alongside, but would we have bought Downing to allow Jimmy to go inside, and would we have used such an option.

Tinker, I have to agree, furthermore Barry was a better player under MON and at Villa, and yes i do think we would have had that extra strength in midfield which could have made all the difference.

I think Barry at Man City is nowhere near as dominant as he was at Villa and i think that will influence his England game. When Barry cracked the England selection as we all know he was raved about, England was first choice him and Gerrard, doesn't seem to be that way anymore.

We didn't win a game between February and May last season with Barry an ever present so far too easy to say we'd be top 4 if he had stayed.

That said a midfield trio of Barry and Petrov holding, Milner getting forward like Lampard and Downing and Young on the wings does look like a good 5 man midfield to me....

I don't think a Gareth Barry is what we're missing.

I agree with you there, althought he would have made our first team slightly better imo. We need a proper destroyer to play alongside Milner, maybe one more creative player and a proper striker.

Well no because he'd of kept with the Barry, Petrov partnership.

If he'd of gone,

Barry Petrov

Downing Milner Young

Gabby.

However......I think we would.

Agreed, but I also think we could have done it with NRC...

If we had the current squad, AS well as Gareth it would have been possible, Barry and Milner could possibly have been a very good combo, gareth is slow but his range of passing and vision is on another level. Plus some of the penalties we missed would have been buried, so you never know,but anyway there's no point in discussing it anymore.