If Gareth Barry had stayed, would we be top 4?

tinker

Would we be top 4 with Gareth Barry?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Would we be top 4 with Gareth Barry?

• Top 4 with Gareth Barry
    • No top 4 with Gareth Barry

No. We'd be worse off with two immobile players in central midfield instead of one.

Agreed we looked very one paced in the middle with Petrov and Barry. MOn would have definitely stuck with that set up so Milner would have remained on the wing and we would not have bought Downing I would guess.

Better off? No I don't think so but we have still not sorted out our central midfield properly either.

I dont think people know what formation or partnerships we would have had, in fact i know they dont.

Personally i dont think we would have achieved top 4.

Right now we are not all screaming out for a holding player with decent passing skills, Petrov has in the main done that. Instead the general consensus seems to be get in another good striker and possibly an attacking midfielder; i.e. match winning players who can create or finish more chances.

Another left-footer would have been useful.

But at the end of the day, replacing Petrov with Barry would only weaken our midfield so that's not the answer.

Playing both reduces our attacking options.

Certainly wouldn't have said no to him being in the squad, but if he were still here we wouldn't have seen Milner's renaissance. So it's worked out for the best.

I think one of the main successes of the season has been Jimmy in the middle and if Barry was still here I don't think that would have happened. I'd have liked him to stay, but I don't think we'd have been much better off than we are now, if at all.

Milly > Barry

MON seems reluctant to play anything other than 4-4-2.

Petrov is largely undroppable under MON.

MON does not favour rotating players.

So, in short, No.

We'd have gone back to 4-5-1 if we'd had kept Barry.

anyway, he may be back this summer.

:shock:

the evidence suggest otherwise fella.

We were playing him in a 4-4-2 when he left.

If Barry had stayed then Milner would have played the whole season on the right wing and we would have had Barry and Petrov in the centre! This would have given us the same problems as last year! As previously stated we have not missed a Barry type player.

A Milner and Barry centre midfield wouldnt have been bad, would it?

Thats what i'm thinking, Berry playing the Petrov role, could have been awseome, but like has been said, If he never left we probably would never have seen Milner in the middle.

For all Barry's passing ability, I would rather have the engine and work rate of Milner in the middle, since Barry is devoid of any real pace. Barry doesn't score enough goals either (unless they are penalties) what is it 2 goals for City this season in all competitions? We've moved on as a team and Barry is no longer the sort of player who can get us into the top 4.