Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Partly that, yes. I'm also thinking of the nature of the spectators - pretty full (larger) venues, with kids and more women in the mix, free to air telly coverage, and sure, marketing that actually tries to reach out to catch new fans of the game. I kind of think that T20 has become a bit of a "grab as much money (much needed, by the counties) as you can", test cricket and International cricket in the UK is very expensive, and County games take place when most people can't actually attend because they're working.

I think I'd have Tests June, July, August and first half of September. T20 July and August, with the semis & final back in September, And the County Championship Late April, May, June, a game or two in July and August and a couple in September. Sack off the hundred (for men). Not sure what I'd do with 50 over cricket, or when to play it.

Free-to-air cricket is the key to it all to be honest. Fair play to the people behind the Hundred managing this, but there's no reason why the Blast couldn't achieve this. 

50 over cricket is essentially second XI cricket these days, unfortunately it is the least relevant of the formats now but so be it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Milfner said:

50 over cricket is essentially second XI cricket these days, unfortunately it is the least relevant of the formats now but so be it. 

Probably, definitely true, but the 2019 "by the barest of margins" world cup was hugely relevant. It was brilliant. The hundred and T20 franchise cricket has kind of trampled all over it. Which is a shame.

• Like 1

Was an interesting game at the end yesterday but I can't see anything the 100 brings that the normal T20 doesn't.... other than fewer balls to score off. And fewer teams. 

Not really worth compressing the Ashes into July for was it? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

Not really worth compressing the Ashes into July for was it? 

Did the relentlessness of the Ashes make it better though? I mean the players might not agree but every test apart from one was a classic. I do entirely agree that shunting the Ashes out the way for the Hundred is farcical anyway. 

Edited by Milfner

I'd love maybe a one day series against the Aussies too.  Then you'd get to see the ODI squad against theirs.  Or, you could just get another test series together, against a smaller Nation, try and get their fans to have an appetite for the Test games.  Maybe even cater a few pitches to suit their styles over normal UK ones. 

I don't mind the 100, but the T20 Blast does everything it does, but with less garish graphics and DJ's.. I dunno, I'm not really the target audience. 

What I will say though is that to get tickets for the 100, is a huge pain in the arse. 

In Ashes years gone by we'd have two visiting tours. They'd normally have a few warm up tests, as well as a 5 game ODI series, and a couple of T20s against the Aussies.  

Having the Hundred after an Ashes series, is like having a savers yogurt for desert after a fillet steak. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, blandy said:

There's too much cricket

I agree with that. Too much international cricket by far nowadays. 

When money gets involved, the game gets milked to an inch of its life. Like football, its get ruined. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Milfner said:

Did the relentlessness of the Ashes make it better though? I mean the players might not agree but every test apart from one was a classic. I do entirely agree that shunting the Ashes out the way for the Hundred is farcical anyway. 

True. But I don't think we play the Aussies in an ODI series either which is baffling given how good the last home ODI series was

11 hours ago, Xela said:

I agree with that. Too much international cricket by far nowadays. 

When money gets involved, the game gets milked to an inch of its life. Like football, its get ruined. 

Particularly with cricket where the pool of players is smaller, but the counties need the money. Edgbaston needs 2/3s of the stands updating for example.  But until all the international/finals day games are booked in for the next 8 years they can't afford to do anything. 

20 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I don't mind the 100, but the T20 Blast does everything it does, but with less garish graphics and DJ's.. I dunno, I'm not really the target audience

I like watching them on TV , as i said upthread the Oval Invincibles  game the other day was a real drama fest  , the likely outcome almost changed ball by ball in the last 20 minutes 

but am I gonna get a train to the Oval (40 mins each way for me  ) to watch 200 balls  .. nope not really , even though I do make the journey from time to time  for the T20 games which is only 40 balls more !! 

but as a TV sport  the 100 is definitely more enjoyable than the T20 

I did rather enjoy Chris Jordans onslaught yesterday. Started on 8 from 13 and then clubbed 62 off his next 19. Unbelievable stuff

3 hours ago, theunderstudy said:

I did rather enjoy Chris Jordans onslaught yesterday. Started on 8 from 13 and then clubbed 62 off his next 19. Unbelievable stuff

And a great ending as well down to the final ball 

Tbh I think we should be on the 15th year of a city-based Premier League by now but we missed that boat and the IPL became king.  The Hundred is the proverbial horse by committee and too little too late.  From what I remember the counties agreed to it as long as the Blast is exclusively the only T20 competition in England so this is the best they could come up with.  As said above at least the women's game has benefited.  Personally I'd have liked a T20 city tournament no longer than a summer football tournament but with all the England players available with as much on normal TV as possible.

Another cracker today in the 100

Tom Curran with 38 from 18 got oval needing 13 off the last 5… down to 3 off the last ball and they ran 2 for a tie … getting his bat in by a mm maybe less !! 

Edited by tonyh29

On 06/08/2023 at 20:46, tonyh29 said:

Another cracker today in the 100

Tom Curran with 38 from 18 got oval needing 13 off the last 5… down to 3 off the last ball and they ran 2 for a tie … getting his bat in by a mm maybe less !! 

I never realised Atkinson could bowl over 90mph.  You seen much of him?

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I never realised Atkinson could bowl over 90mph.  You seen much of him?

Yeah , he’s quick and quite similar in style to Archer , England might look at him for the test team at some point .. he needs to learn a few tricks likes the Curran boys and then he’ll be set 

• Like 1

They should stop this and put Manchester out of their misery … they could well lose by over 100 runs !!

some great bowling on a batting wicket 

johnson with 3 wickets for 1 run off his 20 balls … incredible stuff 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

They should stop this and put Manchester out of their misery … they could well lose by over 100 runs !!

some great bowling on a batting wicket 

johnson with 3 wickets for 1 run off his 20 balls … incredible stuff 

You could argue that that's the best bowling spell in any game, ever.  Given the circumstances of short-form cricket. 

Absolutely phenomenal and unlikely to be bettered for an age. 

Â