Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

What do people make of the Stokes dismissal then? Looks worse in slow motion, but I think he needed to be given the benefit of the doubt. I think it's instinct to to turn away and put your hand out, when someone throw the ball at you from that range. Pretty poor showing from Smith too, who probably could have just withdrawn the appeal. 

Torn myself. Part of me thinks that his hand is in a pretty strange position, but then again it happened pretty quickly. Don't think I'd have been unhappy with either decision. Not surprised with Smith's reaction. Interesting Wade's appeal was very vociferous, I wonder if he hadn't have reacted in the manner he did, it might have been another outcome.

Torn myself. Part of me thinks that his hand is in a pretty strange position, but then again it happened pretty quickly. Don't think I'd have been unhappy with either decision. Not surprised with Smith's reaction. Interesting Wade's appeal was very vociferous, I wonder if he hadn't have reacted in the manner he did, it might have been another outcome.

I don't know what to suggest. Cream maybe?

nothing wrong with it for me, was an instinct reaction but not like he was blocking his face so think it was right decision.

I would have been a bit pissed if Smith had of allowed him back in as England seem to have had a few now with these "controversial" decisions not being against the spirit of the game yet they never did it for New Zealand that time

Interesting one and i'm really not sure. I'd be absolutely filthy if I had a guy on toast throwing down the stumps and he stuck his hand out away from his body to block it like that. If it was in front of his face or body, different story.

But, it all happened very quickly. Too quickly for me to believe it was deliberate. It was a reflex action to block the ball. I guess there just hasn't been enough of this sort of incident in the game to know how to feel about it. I don't think i'd have been unhappy with either decision, and I probably just feel a bit weird because it's so unusual.

I guess the closest comparison I can think of is a handball in the box. If he'd done that in football he'd have gotten a red given the positive movement toward the ball. Probably a fair decision in that case.

Edited by ThunderPower_14

Deliberate at worst and negligent at best. I get that it was a reflex action but cricket is a game of reflexes and his were incorrect at the time and he should pay the price for it.

What do people make of the Stokes dismissal then? Looks worse in slow motion, but I think he needed to be given the benefit of the doubt. I think it's instinct to to turn away and put your hand out, when someone throw the ball at you from that range. Pretty poor showing from Smith too, who probably could have just withdrawn the appeal. 

I think it was probably a defend himself and defend his wickets thing (I seem to remember Gooch trying to jump in the way of the ball one time - it may have been against Roger Harper).

The law says the obstruction has to be wilful and that it's up to the umpires to decide whether that's the case. I think it was wilful but that there is an argument that the obstruction was in order to avoid injury (as well as avoid being out) and so probably should have been not out as per 37.1.i but it's touch and go.

I think that Smith could have gone up to Stokes and asked him and then withdrawn the appeal (though I'm not convinced England would have done that either).

Edit:

Here's the Gooch/Harper thing:

Edited by snowychap
Added link

Last time I remember something like this happening was against Australia back in the late 80's/early 90's.

Having played a defensive shot without a straight bat, the ball bounced into the ground, looped up behind the batsman and was going to hit the stumps. Instinctively, he batted the ball away with his bottom hand and immediately regretted his action (by the look on his face), since he knew he shouldn't have.

The difference between that incident and this one? The batsman walked without waiting for the umpires decision.

I don't get the outrage with the Stokes dismissal. If anything - despite it being an instinctive reaction - Stoke's action was not in the "spirit of the game".

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpA_2zkksp8

• Like 1

the stokes thing - looks like an instinctive hand out to protect himself to me that looks pretty bad because his hand actually ends up so far away from his body

two questions though, based on the 5 minutes from channel 5 that i saw, the 3rd umpire never looked and nobody ever asked if the ball was hitting the stumps, assuming that it doesnt make any difference but to me it looked high and going over, the 3rd umpire didnt actually use anything other than slow motion to make his decision, again assuming, that decision being that it was intentional, with nothing conclusive from anything that he did why didnt they stick with the umpires original decision? the umpire probably has a better view and appreciation for what happened than the 3rd umpire

to be fair to stokes, 2 and a bit metres away, 80mph, back and head turned, hand the wrong way round...if he didnt have his glove on he'd have caught that

Great win for England. Would be great to beat the two World Cup finalists, in two series, in the same Summer. Fingers crossed we can get the job done on Sunday. Special mention for Maxwell's catch that got Plunkett out, though. A Worldie, as the kids would say!

Edited by dAVe80

Yes the Maxwell catch was unbelievable. Morgan has batted brilliantly this series. Impressed with Roy but not Hales and Moeen has bowled really well the last couple of games. The only gripe i have is that is he bat at the top of the order, maybe instead of Hales. He has two odi hundreds batting there. 

Really looking forward to Sunday, will have to keep an eye on it on my phone during the Villa game! Great chase today, class batting by Morgan. Special shout to Ben Stokes for helping to steady the ship after two quick wickets. Moeen oozes class, nice to have someone in to see us home near the end even though I'd rather he was up the order. Incredible catch by Maxwell too, even better than his earlier one!

Judged on his performances during this one day series, I really hope Hales doesn't get selected to open against Pakistan in the series next month (for his future rather than England's).

He may get selected, do well and prove any selection right but he looks woefully out of form and it would be unfair to expect him to produce under the circumstances.

Edited by snowychap

Â