Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

they do have this yasir shah chap to come back who's apparently quite handy, though so we'll see but mentally a big lift that for England to bat long again. Certainly they're ahead psychologically you'd feel.

some of it is still ridiculous mind, I'm not sure what rules can be enforced beyond fining percentages of match fee for deliberate obuscation

Law 42.9 specifically allows for dealing with time wasting by the fielding side. If it's happening during an over then, after warnings, the bowler can be suspended from bowling; if not during an over then after warnings, a five run penalty can be imposed.

Edit: It's one warning it looks like (first and final warning).

Edited by snowychap

yeah, i know this time wasting is bloody annoying but we'd be doing exactly the same thing if it was the other way around, I'm sure I can remember plenty of tactical changes of gloves etc from us before!

And it would be wrong and cheating (or 'unfair play') if we were doing it.

The umpires should step in and start warning players and then awarding the 5 run penalty that the laws allow but the ICC probably wouldn't back them if they did.

Why didn't the Pakistan team just walk out on to the field and all sit around doing sod all? They may as well have done.

that's a fair point. There are definite limits. 5 run penalty is a good idea actually.

• Like 1

I've never wanted to entertain this idea, but is time up for Ian Bell, at international level? I think it may be wise to call it a day at the end of this tour, even just to shut the boo boys up, who've made him the scapegoat.

What a fantastic player though. So wonderful to watch him bat. When he was on form, there's no one I'd rather watch in recent years.

Maybe time to walk away, head held high, and come and help wrestle that County Championship away from Yorkshire!

I think he's still a decent cricketer, but he's the kind of guy who desperately needs an arm around the shoulder and to be told he's doing a great job, he's not head strong enough to go out when Moeen or whoever else at number 2 has gone out cheaply, to build an innings.

I mean, he got 67 in his last innings and that was his 50th 50 I think, he hasn't been terrible apart from today (and Lords vs Oz), but you're looking at increasingly long odds for him to get 100.

That, coupled with the pressure of James Taylor etc and his age, means if he's not performing well, then questions will be asked.

He got the winning runs against Oz and Edgbaston and I think that should be his crowning glory in a pretty average year.

I've never wanted to entertain this idea, but is time up for Ian Bell, at international level?

Yes but he may well keep the spot because there's not really anyone knocking the door down to take his place and because of the problems in the opener slot.

Getting a tad pissed off with the TMS commentary on the BBC website. They're doing an "Ian Bell's England career in 3 words" thing. Some people with very short memories. I bet they weren't saying the things they are now, when he was playing Ashes winning knocks in 2013.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

was Ballance all that bad, he had a rubbish one day spell but he was fine last year v India at no. 3 - before being "rested" then thrown back into the World Cup despite having played no practice games which seemed to shoot his confidence a bit, but his test record was still ok.

They may try Hales 1 with Moeen 3, but that would be just as reliable as Mo 1 and Bell 3 at present so I suspect it'll be as you were for this series and start the same in south africa unless Mo and Bell just have subsequent single digit scores in the remaining three test innings of the series.

was Ballance all that bad, he had a rubbish one day spell but he was fine last year v India at no. 3 - before being "rested" then thrown back into the World Cup despite having played no practice games which seemed to shoot his confidence a bit, but his test record was still ok.

They may try Hales 1 with Moeen 3, but that would be just as reliable as Mo 1 and Bell 3 at present so I suspect it'll be as you were for this series and start the same in south africa unless Mo and Bell just have subsequent single digit scores in the remaining three test innings of the series.

Yes.  He was terrible and overweight.  Get his body and mind right and he's a great player, but he was mentally shot.

I think Taylor is next in line for a chance, so I'd think he might get a go at 3.

I don't know about Bell now. He looked terrible in the first match on the flattest of wickets at the start of his innings. Out to a poor shot today, no foot movement. Regarding Moeen he needs a score in the three test matches if he's going to remain as opener in South Africa. He's a good player of spin so maybe better suited to batting 5 or 6. Ballance has always been stocky. It didn't stop him averaging 60 in test cricket before this summer. He's just gone through a poor time but will be back. 

For me the major concern for England is that we are now over-reliant on two batsmen Root and Cook. The rest are hit and miss.

This is an interesting test though. We need to get ahead of Pakistan because I don't fancy our chances against Shah on the final day. They played him well today but wait until the wicket deteriorates and starts spinning. He will be deadly.

I think it was always a mistake to put Ballance at 3, I think he'd be a better bet than Bairstow at 5.  Bell has been ordinary for years either side of the 2013 Ashes.  I think his days may be numbered.

It's hard to see a situation where we don't lose this test now - losing the toss was huge, I can't see a fourth or fifth day score of more than 250 on this wicket, so we need to bowl them out for a hundred and change to have a chance. No pressure!

It's hard to see a situation where we don't lose this test now - losing the toss was huge, I can't see a fourth or fifth day score of more than 250 on this wicket, so we need to bowl them out for a hundred and change to have a chance. No pressure!

toss helped definitely, but equally, at 182/3, we still had a good chance of putting pressure on by getting close to their score - it wasn't unreasonable and then we know last match if we put them under pressure we can win, but we've tossed it away, and now will have to win the final match just to level

Yes agree Rodders we were about level at the end of day 2. We have a very inexperienced middle order. No solid players in there with experience in these conditions. But everybody loses to Pakistan there so its no disgrace. Its a learning process for a young side.

Â