Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

To be honest, whilst I don't think Strauss has been told it's 'ok' to lose the ashes, it wouldn't make sense (even for the ECB) to just give him the series against NZ and the Aussies. Most observers feel we are likely to take a beating (or at least struggle to beat) either nation, so it wouldn't be fair.

That's KP framing things to suit his argument.

• Like 3

Just another thought while I am perfecting my work avoidance skills.

If KP wasn't such a mentalist, he should have took the advisory role offered by Strauss and started a charm offensive.

He may well have been told that he wouldn't play a part in the summer, but if he'd taken the role, continued to pile up the runs in CC and taken a conciliatory tone in the media - the clamour for his return would have become untenable for Strauss. Especially if the team continues to play like it has.

In that scenario, I would have bet a reasonable amount on him wearing the whites of England again at Lords for the second test.

• Like 1

It was just something I caught the end of, on the radio this morning. I've not really had chance to look into it, hence why I was aking if anyone knew if it was true?

No probs.

It appears that Pietersen's article is the current source.

Whether that has any basis in reality (there may well be - a sort of we have to build for the future and we shouldn't act now at the expense of that but I genuinely can't see that Strauss would go in to a job and not care about trying to win the Ashes as it would appear Pietersen is suggesting) or whether it just stems from Pietersen's dimented fury we must wait and see.

• Like 1

If KP wasn't such a mentalist, he should have took the advisory role offered by Strauss and started a charm offensive.

He may well have been told that he wouldn't play a part in the summer, but if he'd taken the role, continued to pile up the runs in CC and taken a conciliatory tone in the media - the clamour for his return would have become untenable for Strauss. Especially if the team continues to play like it has.

In that scenario, I would have bet a reasonable amount on him wearing the whites of England again at Lords for the second test.

You are Peter Mandelson and I claim my €5. :D

But I largely agree (which I don't with Mandy).

• Like 1

I get where you're coming from, but Strauss has made himself look a prize wazzock with that offer, ie " I don't trust you, and therefore you can't play cricket for England, but hey, come and use your skills as a consultant for the one day side, because my lack of trust there won't matter."  Genius.  Strauss had better pray for a half decent summer, or the knives will be out for him even more than they usually are after a poor series or two.

• Like 1

In the end they should have dropped him and said no more about him, instead of all the stuff that's come out from both sides.

I tend to agree, however, having opened the door slightly, why not stick to that?  One triple century against fill-yer-boots bowling shouldn't be enough, so all Strauss had to say was either a) nothing, or B) we'll monitor the situation as the summer goes on.  Then if England unexpectedly do well, there's no reason to bring him back in.  If KP didn't do that well in county cricket, again, no reason to bring him in.  If one or two of the batsmen have absolute nightmares though, then you've got a choice to make.  At the end of the day though, he's the sort of player that fans pay to see, and for how unreliable he was in the last ashes, he's done brilliantly well in others, including some innings of real grit and maturity.

I think the problem is that administrator Colin Graves kind of thinks "he's a good batter, let him back if he earns a place", whereas Cook, Strauss, Broad, maybe Anderson, and then the likes of Moores and Flower's view on him were all of "leave him well out of it". i.e. (again) rubbish co-ordination and control within the ECB.

Other than that I basically agree.

I get where you're coming from, but Strauss has made himself look a prize wazzock with that offer, ie " I don't trust you, and therefore you can't play cricket for England, but hey, come and use your skills as a consultant for the one day side, because my lack of trust there won't matter."  Genius.  Strauss had better pray for a half decent summer, or the knives will be out for him even more than they usually are after a poor series or two.

Totally agree there. That's what I mean though, Strauss has made a right tit of himself already, but then KP goes straight off and writes a load of hyperbole in a paper and tweeting rubbish.

Had he took the role and kept his head down, he could have made (and continued to make) Strauss look like an even bigger tit and probably ended up back in the side at some point during the ashes.

I sensed public opinion turning in KP's favour (the poll on BBC for example had around 74% in favour of his return) and he would have got even more in his side with a different approach (or more importantly a different advisor, not Piers the muppet Morgan).

Imagine the public support if he (KP) had come out and said something along the lines of......

'I have decided to accept the offer of becoming an advisor to the National one day side. I'm delighted to help and I look forward to hopefully being of service to England in my new role. If Strauss or the ECB feel I can be of any value in other areas, I would of course jump at the chance to help in any way I can.

I absolutely understand the need for myself and other members of the England set up to repair our relationships and ensure we can move forward with mutual respect and trust.

Whilst I would love to be recalled now, I will continue to do my best at County Level this summer and will be ready should England need me at any time'

BOOOOOM #KPisageniusStrausslookslikeabellend

Totally agree there. That's what I mean though, Strauss has made a right tit of himself already, but then KP goes straight off and writes a load of hyperbole in a paper and tweeting rubbish.

Had he took the role and kept his head down, he could have made (and continued to make) Strauss look like an even bigger tit and probably ended up back in the side at some point during the ashes.

I sensed public opinion turning in KP's favour (the poll on BBC for example had around 74% in favour of his return) and he would have got even more in his side with a different approach (or more importantly a different advisor, not Piers the muppet Morgan).

Imagine the public support if he (KP) had come out and said something along the lines of......

'I have decided to accept the offer of becoming an advisor to the National one day side. I'm delighted to help and I look forward to hopefully being of service to England in my new role. If Strauss or the ECB feel I can be of any value in other areas, I would of course jump at the chance to help in any way I can.

I absolutely understand the need for myself and other members of the England set up to repair our relationships and ensure we can move forward with mutual respect and trust.

Whilst I would love to be recalled now, I will continue to do my best at County Level this summer and will be ready should England need me at any time'

BOOOOOM #KPisageniusStrausslookslikeabellend

I agree wholeheartedly, but it must have been a massive kick in the bollocks in that meeting, plus he turned down a 250k payment for the IPL.

The ECB have been clearings in the woods, KP's been a clearing in the woods, but at least you knew he wanted to be part of the England team.

No one is looking good.

Agreed Lapal, but sometimes you have to fight smart. He could have been the bigger man (even if he didn't mean it) and used that to further leverage his position. He would have got what he wanted in the end. He won't now as He's chucked his dummy out again via the press/social media and barring an absolute meltdown, Strauss will be there for a while.

It's over for him now.

• Like 1

KP's been a clearing in the woods, but at least you knew he wanted to be part of the England team.

No one is looking good.

At the moment, he did. Previously din't he quit ODI's so he good do IPL? twice.

Unfortunately it's all about him. What suits him and his current desires. That's part of his problem. He's not actually a team player, unless it suits him to be.

• Like 2

Broad missed a sponsors event ahead of the test series a few days ago because he went on a marathon drinking session with Flintoff and Prior.

I suppose trust is in great supply if you're in with the crowd.

• Like 1

http://www.theshovel.com.au/2015/05/14/kevin-pieterson-could-disrupt-our-unique-losing-culture-says-england/

Picking one of the world’s best batsmen could disturb the special losing feeling that the team has been cultivating over the past few years, England’s cricket director Andrew Strauss said today.

“It’s a culture thing,” Strauss stressed. “Players like Pieterson have a tendency to unsettle the equilibrium. For him it’s all ‘win this, win that’. That doesn’t sit comfortably with the culture we’re trying to create here”.

He cited the recent World Cup as an example. “The way the boys came together to get beaten by a side like Bangladesh – that was special. I just don’t think that would’ve happened with KP in the team.

He said building a sense of ineptitude took time, and he didn’t want to derail the work done to date by lobbing world-class players into the mix. “What you’re looking for in any team is balance. And having a guy that can go out there and score 300-odd hanging around the team is really going to disrupt that balance.

“It’s nothing personal. I wish Kevin all the best as he tears apart bowling attacks in county cricket and in the IPL. But his future’s not at England”.

On a more serious note, I have yet to talk to an Australian who isn't very pleased that KP won't be playing in the Ashes. Most of their bowlers seem pretty happy about it too.

• Like 1

Very well played Keith Barker. Ton and a five-fer (9 wickets in total) in the same game. Against Durham too! Oh I'm going to have fun with my mates up here!  

• Like 2

..I have yet to talk to an Australian who isn't very pleased that KP won't be playing in the Ashes. Most of their bowlers seem pretty happy about it too.

Listening to brendon McCullum on the radio last night, he mentioned that NZ had to basically "move on" from Jesse Ryder - in essence they did the same with Ryder as the ECB did with KP. They decided he wasn't worth the trouble, wasn't prepared to put the team before himself, and as a result was got rid of.

So contrary to popular belief, it's not just England where sometimes players are left out despite their talent.

NZ rugby uses a no-dickheads rules for all their selections. And they're long standing best in the world. Team first.

Also the Aussies saying whatever about KP - it's propaganda to a point. Keep the issue in the media, keep the England team being asked about it. They're not daft.

..I have yet to talk to an Australian who isn't very pleased that KP won't be playing in the Ashes. Most of their bowlers seem pretty happy about it too.

Listening to brendon McCullum on the radio last night, he mentioned that NZ had to basically "move on" from Jesse Ryder - in essence they did the same with Ryder as the ECB did with KP. They decided he wasn't worth the trouble, wasn't prepared to put the team before himself, and as a result was got rid of.

So contrary to popular belief, it's not just England where sometimes players are left out despite their talent.

NZ rugby uses a no-dickheads rules for all their selections. And they're long standing best in the world. Team first.

Also the Aussies saying whatever about KP - it's propaganda to a point. Keep the issue in the media, keep the England team being asked about it. They're not daft.

To be fair, Jesse is a pisshead and has been in all sorts of trouble including getting put in a coma. I don't think KP has really done anything in Ryder's league. He's obviously going to fall out with people regularly but on at least half the occasions I'd say he's been right and under different management, there wouldn't be an issue.

Jason Gillespie set to have talks with Strauss about the England coaching job apparently. Thoughts?

Seems the outstanding candidate, I think they'd be very lucky if he said yes.

Yeah, I think he'd be an excellent choice. 

but the problem is that they didnt handle the situation as messy as the ECB did. The meeting last week for example 

Â