Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Strauss ...Another yes man.

I don't think he is. Yes he's a shiny faced posho, who is good at kind of working with people, but he's an absolute determined winner, IMO. I think he won't accept laxness, complacency, just doing the comfortable thing, or the easy thing in any aspect of the job.Moores had to go, and straight away he's potted him. A yes man could have kept him on for the NZ series "to see how things go and give him a chance" but no - he (rightly) decided Moores should be toast, and immediately got rid. I expect more of the same ruthlessness, frankly - with sections and with people he doesn't think good enough.It's the type of unsentimental, hard nosed approach that the Aussies follow, and it's spot on.

I hope so, not convinced though.

Will he be as ruthless with Cook if required? Will new coach be able to pick KP if he wants to?

I don't think he is. Yes he's a shiny faced posho, who is good at kind of working with people, but he's an absolute determined winner, IMO. I think he won't accept laxness, complacency, just doing the comfortable thing, or the easy thing in any aspect of the job.Moores had to go, and straight away he's potted him. A yes man could have kept him on for the NZ series "to see how things go and give him a chance" but no - he (rightly) decided Moores should be toast, and immediately got rid. I expect more of the same ruthlessness, frankly - with sections and with people he doesn't think good enough.It's the type of unsentimental, hard nosed approach that the Aussies follow, and it's spot on.

Will he be as ruthless with Cook if required? Will new coach be able to pick KP if he wants to?

no zero chance of KP being picked again given the history between Strauss and him. 

no zero chance of KP being picked again given the history between Strauss and him. 

I would hope Graves has given the job to Strauss on the requirement that England's best interests have to come before his own personal feelings.

If KP get's runs for Surrey and England are struggling then he should be considered for selection as every other batsmen who is in form should. To not to do that would mean we haven't moved on from the shambles of the past 18 months or so. 

One big concern I have is how much power does Flower have behind the scenes? For it to be a true break from the past 18 months shambles he needs to be jettisoned as soon as possible.

Edited by Avfc96

but England need a proper overhaul of the team as well as management. Some of players have got away with murder and dont just mean Cook who seems the main target for abuse. Anderson and Broad have been shocking for a start. They are good at home in preferential conditions but appalling away from home in Test and ODI

a bit like Villa under Lambert their is a certain feeling that you can be shit and not lose your place in the team

• Like 2

broad yes, but Anderson I disagree. He struggles in one day cricket now, but still better than most.

Broad definitely isn't offering enough for me to retain his place, and his batting has been useless for ages as well.

broad yes, but Anderson I disagree. He struggles in one day cricket now, but still better than most.

Broad definitely isn't offering enough for me to retain his place, and his batting has been useless for ages as well.

Since he got that one in the noggin at Old Trafford, he's hardly scored a run.

Bowling wise, he's not really been fit most of the time - either playing with an injury, out injured or coming back from surgery.

I think the players have been over-coached and that they need freeing up - pick the best players, in form and let them play their natural games, make their own decisions, but all within a team framework. Instead of picking the same players, moving them round the order, telling them where to bowl and how many runs they need after 10 overs or whatever.

What was Moores' reply? We will have to take a look at the data. 

Just shocking and should never have been re-appointed in the first place. Coach of his generation my arse.

Yes - remember that if CON was managing Villa we would currently have a team built around Barry Bannan and be playing in League 1.

I am all for using eyes over stats.

I've seen that Strauss is due to make his first public comments in his new role tomorrow and that he's likely to be giving his views on Pietersen.

Not sure it'll be a great first statement/press conference to tell us all that he thinks Pietersen's a word removed. :)

Kabir Ali's had to retire.

link

Former England fast bowler Kabir Ali has retired from first-class cricket following a serious shoulder injury.

The ex-Worcestershire, Hampshire and Lancashire seamer, 34, has failed to recover from the injury suffered in the T20 Blast semi-final win over Hampshire at Edgbaston in August.

...more on link

Edited by snowychap

England only win when they have Surrey players in the team   .. seeing as he's in a bit of form may as well kill 2 birds with one stone and pick KP

You've gotta hand it to KP. Whacking a 326 on the day you are having a 'secret' meeting with the new incoming Emperor of cricket (or whatever the role is), who just so happens to think you're a word removed. 

KP genius  :crylaugh:

Joking aside, I really hope the meeting is positive and the door is left open for re-selection. 

I know opinions are mixed and he is a divisive character, but for me he's just too good not to keep giving him chances. I reckon he's got 4 or more years left in him at top level, if he maintains his focus and for me he remains our best batsman, by a reasonable margin.  He might be a massive douchebag, but they need to find a way of working with him. 

The question is; do we have a better chance of winning back the Ashes with, or without him?I say with. 

• Like 2

I'd say we have a much better chance with him playing, especially with him highly motivated,  but it seems Strauss has shut that door forever. Thats one of the reasons I didn't want Strauss. He's part of brigade that wanted him gone. 

• Like 1

Â