Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Only Broad adn Stokes came out with any credit from the series, the fact Carberry got a lot of criticism and was 2nd top run scorer shows how bad therest of players performed.

In Carberry defence he probably should have been helped by one of the experienced players at the top of the order

Looks like the wilting Flower is staying.

For me, Cook should be gone as Captain today. He can stay and bat, but his Captaincy really has been woeful. The problem is, there is no natural successor. Maybe Broad. Can't see another decent option.

I think you need to stick with Cook and this is a big part of the reason.

He's presided over a pretty good period for your test side. You'd barely lost a test under his captaincy until this series apart from against a once in a generation South African side, including winning a series in India. He's still only young and his captaincy will develop. Dropping him after one dodgy series would be a huge mistake.

It's hard to believe that the great Ricky Ponting was Australia's least successful Ashes captain.

Dropping Cook now would be madness. We all knew the Aussies would fight back. OK, not in such vociferous fashion but, after the summer, we all felt they were going to come back hard. Cook's 28 and has another 10 years of captaincy left in him.

He'll win us the Ashes back. 

Exactly, while the manner of defeat was awful. We've come back from a Ashes whitewash not so long ago and came back stronger

*clutches straws*

Not sure if Cook's captaincy has been harshly judged by many. There's only so much you can do if the players aren't performing. Apart from broad none of the other bowlers could keep it tight for a period for any consistent length of time, especially the spinners. Without being able to build pressure you're always going to struggle to take wickets.His poor performance with the bat wouldnt have been as exposed if other batsmen had been pulling their weight. As for Carberry I don't think he's the answer. Struggled to play his natural game. If this was his debut series and he  was a bit younger I'd be all for giving him another go but at his age he isnt going to dramatically improve and if he does he still probably wont be around for the next ashes series.

Not sure if Cook's captaincy has been harshly judged by many. There's only so much you can do if the players aren't performing. Apart from broad none of the other bowlers could keep it tight for a period for any consistent length of time, especially the spinners. Without being able to build pressure you're always going to struggle to take wickets.His poor performance with the bat wouldnt have been as exposed if other batsmen had been pulling their weight. As for Carberry I don't think he's the answer. Struggled to play his natural game. If this was his debut series and he  was a bit younger I'd be all for giving him another go but at his age he isnt going to dramatically improve and if he does he still probably wont be around for the next ashes series.

He'll be 35 so probably not too old, look at Rogers 36 and leading run scorer over the 10 matches, but i take your point i think we should invest in someone younger at the top of the order like Joe Root or Varun Chopra

Edited by PaulC

but even in summer it was criticized by some for being too negative compared to Clarke and as he won he seemed to get away from the flak. His field placements really were uninspiring and their lack of plan for Haddin was shocking. He played well but its not like he is a top class batsman or a mystery player they havent seen before

but even in summer it was criticized by some for being too negative compared to Clarke and as he won he seemed to get away from the flak. His field placements really were uninspiring and their lack of plan for Haddin was shocking. He played well but its not like he is a top class batsman or a mystery player they havent seen before

Even when England were playing well with Strauss field placements were negative. England's gameplan was to strangle the opposition and force errors. Very rarely would the sort of field placements clark has had to use be needed before. Now though, the teams have adapted and the majority of England's player are getting old and have possibly burnt out. England need to adapt and Cook will hopefully do that. Expecting him to come up with innovative field placements to get in-form batsmen out with out of form bowlers this early on in his captaincy is unrealistic. As for the lack of plan to get Haddin out, surely a large part of the blame for that must be on the management? Theyre the ones who have the time and resources to find flaws in his game whereas cook quite rightly should have been looking to his own form. If the plan wasn't working and cook failed to adapt then there would be problems with his captaincy but blaming him for a complete lack of plan seems harsh to say the least.

So - 'Poppy' Welch has gone to Derbyshire it seems and Warks have appointed Alan Richardson from Worcs. Whilst one cannot fault Richardson for his record I just hope he is the right appointment for Warks. Any opinions Bears fans ?

As for the lack of plan to get Haddin out, surely a large part of the blame for that must be on the management? Theyre the ones who have the time and resources to find flaws in his game whereas cook quite rightly should have been looking to his own form. If the plan wasn't working and cook failed to adapt then there would be problems with his captaincy but blaming him for a complete lack of plan seems harsh to say the least.

On Haddin, I think the Captain (Cook) carries some responsibility in that the bowlers just bowled too short to him. They should surely have changed that between them. That's what I felt as a spectator, who actually went to watch the Ashes. Much of the rest of your post is fair enough IMO.

As for the lack of plan to get Haddin out, surely a large part of the blame for that must be on the management? Theyre the ones who have the time and resources to find flaws in his game whereas cook quite rightly should have been looking to his own form. If the plan wasn't working and cook failed to adapt then there would be problems with his captaincy but blaming him for a complete lack of plan seems harsh to say the least.

On Haddin, I think the Captain (Cook) carries some responsibility in that the bowlers just bowled too short to him. They should surely have changed that between them. That's what I felt as a spectator, who actually went to watch the Ashes. Much of the rest of your post is fair enough IMO.

I was trying to get across that Cook wasn't blameless. You're right, we did bowl too short to Haddin which is possibly one of the faults that can be put on his head. A lot of people seem to be blaming him for plenty of things which I don;;t think are entirely his fault.

• Like 1

So - 'Poppy' Welch has gone to Derbyshire it seems and Warks have appointed Alan Richardson from Worcs. Whilst one cannot fault Richardson for his record I just hope he is the right appointment for Warks. Any opinions Bears fans ?

Yes Pop was always going to get the job at Derby and I know he was very unhappy that Dougie got the top job at Warwickshire. Hard to know with Richardson. All i can see is he is a highly skilled bowler so he might be able to pass on some of that knowledge to our seamers. Having said that Pop is a major loss, a year after losing Ashley.

• Like 1

Unbelievable finish from Faulkner.

Bresnan shouldn't play for Eng again, not good enough. This whole trip has been a disaster, just plan for the future now, and give some guys you want in the side for the next 3 years a go.

For God's sake. 

Was reading nearly all runs came on the on the leg side (at the death). For the life of me, I'll never understand why they don't bowl Yorkers in a run chase scenario like that. Bowl at the bloody stumps and it's harder for them to the ball to the boundary! It's not rocket science!!

Edited by dAVe80

Â