Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

I'm hoping for an overnight declaration. I think we'd still lose.

Fair play to Johnson for his pink moustache today.

Me too! well the loose bit because i am not hoping or expecting an overnight declaration. Lunchtime or just after. Haddin to run riot again

Not a massive fan of the interview that Gooch gave. Fairly defeatist about this test match. Test cricket can change around quickly.

Granted Australia have enough already, but surely we have to turn up with the bat at some point.

Hopefully there is a major shake up after this series but I highly doubt it, especially after Collier's comments in the media. Too much of an old boys club feel about the hierarchy of English cricket.

Glad that's over.

Well done to the aussies who thoroughly outplayed us but the England players, coaches and whole set up need to take a sodding good look at themselves.

I also note the comments from Agnew on the beeb text page that none of the coaching staff were out on the pitch with the players after the end - with apologies to Richie: piss poor effort, that.

Worst ashes performance ever. Time for Flower and Cook to go! Cook as captain at least!

Absolutely.  Shambolic doesn't even begin to describe that performance.  I expect a good few senior player retirements as well.

Hopefully there is a major shake up after this series but I highly doubt it, especially after Collier's comments in the media. Too much of an old boys club feel about the hierarchy of English cricket.

How would you shake it up? How can we improve? Interested to hear your views as i'm struggling to see what can be done?

I think the 'old boys club' of the MCC and the England hierarchy will never change. It is what it is. I didn't see anyone complaining about the public schoolboy / old boys image when we won 3 previous Ashes contests, when we beat India 4-0 and when we were number 1 in the world. Teams have cycles and our glory days are over... like the West Indies from the 80's and Australia until the mid 2000's... all good things come to an end. Question is, is there enough talent out there to replace the old guard?

Yep - good point above. So who are the Test standard players available  for next season ?  Well (naturally) I reckon Chopra as an opener then always thought James Taylor (Notts) had class and like the look of David Willey (Northants). Any more suggestions ?

How would you shake it up? How can we improve? Interested to hear your views as i'm struggling to see what can be done?

I think the 'old boys club' of the MCC and the England hierarchy will never change. It is what it is. I didn't see anyone complaining about the public schoolboy / old boys image when we won 3 previous Ashes contests, when we beat India 4-0 and when we were number 1 in the world. Teams have cycles and our glory days are over... like the West Indies from the 80's and Australia until the mid 2000's... all good things come to an end. Question is, is there enough talent out there to replace the old guard?

It's the cataclysmic change in fortunes that's hard to take though, although the signs were there in the summer tbh.

Yep - good point above. So who are the Test standard players available  for next season ?  Well (naturally) I reckon Chopra as an opener then always thought James Taylor (Notts) had class and like the look of David Willey (Northants). Any more suggestions ?

What about Moeen Ali? To be fair next summer we have Sri Lanka and India. Neither have strong bowling attacks so the same players will just milk their averages. When Australia come over in 2015 both Johnson and Harris may be past their best! 

I don't see the need for a massive change for you guys.

Prior is gone. Swann is gone. It will be a bonus if you ever see Trott in the side again.

Other than that, your core is pretty good. 

Cook, Bell, Broad and Anderson should all be mainstays for a while yet, and guys like Bairstow, Finn, Stokes and Root are just kids and have 5 years before they are even approaching their peak as Test cricketers. I think it would be a bit of a tragedy if Pietersen retired so young so you'd hope despite the rumours he hangs around.

I think Cook will have learned a lot from this series about playing a bit more aggressively. He's an incredibly conservative captain but you'd hope he opens up a bit now.

You'll never field that badly across a series again.

How Cook rallies the group for the next series is pretty important.

Looks like the wilting Flower is staying.

For me, Cook should be gone as Captain today. He can stay and bat, but his Captaincy really has been woeful. The problem is, there is no natural successor. Maybe Broad. Can't see another decent option.

Â