Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Another stat for anyone who thinks Steyn may not be one of the all time greats. Wickets per test.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/429278.html

Murali top but Steyn tops of all seamers over the last 50/60 years.

I think we can get bogged down in stats. That table puts MacGill at the same level as Warne.

No doubt Steyn is a fantastic player but I wouldn't have him as my best seamer. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Another stat for anyone who thinks Steyn may not be one of the all time greats. Wickets per test.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/429278.html

Murali top but Steyn tops of all seamers over the last 50/60 years.

I think we can get bogged down in stats. That table puts MacGill at the same level as Warne.

No doubt Steyn is a fantastic player but I wouldn't have him as my best seamer. 

True but Macgill probably would have been a great if Shane Warne hadn't have been around. Just a very unlucky bowler. Some stats aren't so important but for a bowler srs and wickets per tests are very relevant particularly when taken over a long period of time. Averages and economy rates even the amount of wickets taken over all can be misleading. Just as batting averages can be misleading. For instance Sehwag scored most of his runs in India. But Steyn has taken wickets all over even in the sub continent. Even Shane warne has a poor record in India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Probably why Murali has a much better sr.

Sorry i will shut up about Steyn now, unless his name his brought up again or he breaks another record like the fastest to 400 wickets. That will be at least another year though!

Edited by PaulC

England team that started this series:                                            England team that is likely to play in the fifth test:

Cook- C                                                                                          Cook- C

Carberry                                                                                         Carberry

Trott                                                                                                Bell

KP                                                                                                   KP

Bell                                                                                                  Ballance

Root                                                                                                Stokes

Prior- WK                                                                                         Bairstow- WK

Broad                                                                                               Borthwick

Swann                                                                                              Broad 

Anderson                                                                                         Anderson

Tremlett                                                                                           Rankin

Edited by Avfc96

Be interesting to see hoe big Boyd gets on.

I can see Giles taking over inside a year even if Flower doesn't walk at the end of the series.

Could see a fair few more Warwick boys in and around the squad. They're sticking with Woakes, making him Lions captain despite his up and down performances for England so far.

England are just so bad all around, not sure if its talent or just all confidence gone. players like Root and Carberry are just not good enough at this level

The fact all Australian top 5 have centuries in this tour and none of ENgland players do really shows how bad they are. Also Johnson has been made to look like Dale Steyn or McGrath in this series. Why cant Anderson do the same, he seems to struggle outside of England and probably needs dropping for next tour

An all too familiar start to the test then. Get off to a great start, have Australia on the ropes, then let Australia get away from them again. It says a lot, that a bang average player like Steve Smith now has more centuries in this series than the whole of the England squad. My guess is England will be bowled out cheaply tomorrow (for a sub 200 score), Aus will bat us into the ground again, building a 500 + lead, then England will capitulate again in the final innings. 5-0, job done. Only shining light has been the emergence of Ben Stokes. Only the second player in history to get 120 runs in one innings, and 6 for in his first 4 test matches. Nice too see. Hope he can kick on and help rebuild this side now.

On the subject of the captaincy, say Cook quits / is sacked at the end of the series, who replaces him?  

doesnt Broad captain the ODI so id imagine it would be him except for that only Bell and Anderson are only other senior players and cant see either getting the job. KP would be a no-no anyway

doesnt Broad captain the ODI so id imagine it would be him except for that only Bell and Anderson are only other senior players and cant see either getting the job. KP would be a no-no anyway

Heard Broad mentioned by a few people. He's the T20 Captain, so not beyond the realms of possibility. I don't think I'd like Belly to get it. I'm not sure how well he'd cope with the extra pressure. I think it'd ruin his batting the way it has Cook's. Although he did captain The Bears in a few CB40 games a couple of years back. I think you can rule Anderson out, as I think they'd want to pick a captain who will be around for a while. KP has ruffled to many feathers to be considered, and Prior has been dropped. Not leaving us with many options, unless we go totally leftfield.

Â