Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Anyone with a nexus 7 experiencing odd instances where the bloody thing doesn't switch on a little while after being switched off? (not sleep mode)

When it happens I have to hold the power button for about 20-30 secs then it switches on as opposed to the normal 2-5 second press. Have read its a software issue and will be patched but just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

Man I already love the Note. It's certainly not for everybody, it's a niche product alright. But I've always just wanted plenty of screen real estate that fits in my pocket, which this does. I'm surprised how light it is, it feels lighter in the hand than the iPhone 4S despite the fact it's about 30g heavier, it's to do with the weight distribution.

Portrait mode SwiftKey typing is superb, best two thumb typing experience I've had yet. It's also surprisingly zippy, coming from the S3 it doesn't feel like a generational gap, possibly because both run ICS at the moment. Still the 1.4ghz dual core processor has no problem powering that high res screen, 1280 x 800, same res as the Nexus 7 but on a 5.3 inch screen. The screen looks great, same as the Galaxy Nexus and S3 in tech and ppi.

I've used the S-Pen briefly and it works better than I expected, but I'll need time to test that properly, I can't imagine me using it much if at all on day to day use though. I'm sure the batterylife will be a step back from the S3 for sure, with a higher res 5.3 inch screen to power. But Chrome works perfectly on it as it does on the S3, again the extra screen size makes browsing the web a better experience than the S3. Videos look great too, I've played some HD video and I think this could be a great media player if you feel the Nexus 7 isn't as pocketable.

I have a gripe with the fingerprint magnet screen, it's the same as the S2. It lacks the S3's magic fingerprint wiper once you put the phone in your pocket for 5 seconds. Also the home button is S2 ish, I love the home button on the S3, far more premium and more ergonomic. I haven't tested the Camera, but I'd imagine it'll be closer to S2 (which is a good camera) in performance than the excellent S3 one. The interface is certainly not as simple and brilliant as the S3. Also, black looks boring, the Pebble Blue colour of the S3 grew on me. The whole design is a bit last year-ish, the S3 is a step forward for Samsung in functional design imo. Also, answering calls on this will look a bit silly, the device isn't going to be a lovely thing to show off like say the HTC One X.

So basically you're getting what you expect here. A big screened Galaxy phone (and it is a phone), with an Android experience that sits between the S2 and S3. But given the S2 and S3 are fantastic phones, this is also a fantastic device, if you want one this large. I feel like I do, I may rethink my rapid resale. Anyway, mint condition for £255, very happy with that purchase.

Next week, the Galaxy Nexus.

It'll be interesting to see which device I use most in October, the JellyBean toting Galaxy Nexus or the Big Screen ICS Galaxy Note. I've intrigued a colleage with the Note, he owns an iPhone 4 and a work Blackberry and I said I'd loan him the Note when my Nexus arrives. Anyway all this means it's time to wave goodbye to the best phone I've ever owned. The Galaxy S3.

Anyone with a nexus 7 experiencing odd instances where the bloody thing doesn't switch on a little while after being switched off? (not sleep mode)

When it happens I have to hold the power button for about 20-30 secs then it switches on as opposed to the normal 2-5 second press. Have read its a software issue and will be patched but just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

You're not using a case are you? Drove me mad for a while where I thought it kept switching off and wouldn't switch back on. Turned out it was the auto-lock screen feature of the case going behind the back and operating it.

I think I've decided to go for the S3 and the wife likes the look of the one x.

Going to give o2 a call tomorrow to see if I can get a retention deal, if not will buy a sim free.

Without knowing what agreement was in place and what was actually said it's pretty hard do understand that article. I don't understand why Google would act like that without there being more to the story. They have done nothing but encourage manufacturers to participate in the Android ecosystem. I wonder whether (if there is anything to the story at all) that there is a dispute between Google and Alibaba which Acer have tried to ignore.

But getting as far as cancelling the device that late in the game. Something up there for sure. To have it cancelled that late would suggest an ultimatum by Google. What else could it be?

Obviously we don't know how true the article is, we also don't know of any arrangements that had been made. Maybe an agreement with Google was being breached. We don't know.

Here's a question, would be hurt more by Samsung ditching Android? Google or Samsung? Was a hypothetical question posed on engadget mobile podcast.

It's hard to know, really depends on how good windows phone 8 is. I think it's damage for both, but probably damage Google ever so slightly more.

Will never happen thought, Samsung making trucks of money from Android.

Yeah I can't see it. Why would Google be perfectly happy for everybody else to ship Windows phones as well as Android but then force Acer to drop some obscure OS no-one outside of China would care about anyway.

The story doesn't make sense and only seems to have come from Alibaba themselves, if indeed that was even an authorised official statement at all.

I tend to be sceptical about these things and not believe them out of hand until there's actually some proof.

Here's a question, would be hurt more by Samsung ditching Android? Google or Samsung? Was a hypothetical question posed on engadget mobile podcast.

It's hard to know, really depends on how good windows phone 8 is. I think it's damage for both, but probably damage Google ever so slightly more.

Will never happen thought, Samsung making trucks of money from Android.

Hmm, interesting one but I'm going to go ahead and say Samsung.

Samsung have become a massive success story overnight from the launch of the Galaxy S until now off the back of Android and Google. Dropping Android now would be fairly suicidal.

Google only have Android to increase their user base, which in turn increases their ad revenues. If Samsung didn't make Android phones any more, there'd be a queue of manufacturers lining up to take over the prime droid spot, not least of all, HTC.

Even without Android at all, Google wouldn't be too hurt. Their core business would be untouched and they'd still have the userbase, just no tool to compete once Apple/Microsoft start weaning people onto Bing etc.

Â