Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Good piece on Android evolution

They make a very good point about Android devices, which is..

They need to demonstrate that Android devices, unlike the iPhone, greatly evolve at an amazing pace, and that when you purchase a new Android flagship device, you aren’t simply purchasing an upgraded version of the device you bought last year.

It's a key point, look at the Galaxy S series, how different are the 3 of them.

I think Samsung will own the Android market if they can release the S4 with a great design and quality feel like the One X. I still want the removable sd card and removable battery, but that can be accomplished with a high quality design with a premium feel. Pair that with the stunning magic that the 5 inch Super AMOLED Plus HD screen will be and they'll have a bigger hit than the S3 on their hands. Get it to market in March, like Samsung execs have been saying, with a Quad Core Exynos A15, 2GB RAM and LTE and sell it cheaper than the iPhone. Game Over. HTC better focus on WP8.

But it better ship with Key Lime Pie and not just JellyBean. You'd expect Android 4.2 to be released around March next year. Touchwiz should continue the trend and become a lighter skin yet again keeping the Samsung improvments but reducing turn around time.

Is there likely to be an s4 in march? I'm edging towards spending next months payday on an s3 but will wait if that's the case.

Do it properly and get the new Nexus handset if you are prepared to wait. I think even our chum Conor is starting to warm to the idea that Nexus handsets are the way to go.

Will have to wait until tomorrow as phone has gone to the post office

Always a sinking feeling.

Was no one there to sign for it?

No, was hoping the neighbour would as she signed for the wife's HTC yesterday. PO opens at half seven so will drop by before work.

Upgrade due. Going to get an S3 I think. Seem sensible? How have you gents managed to cope with the fact that it's bigger than many trouser pockets? Handbags at dawn?

Seriously, the GN and S3 seem like small phones to me now. The Note is a big phone, and people have no trouble fitting that in their pockets.

I honestly put my Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 7 tablet in the same pocket (left pocket, screens facing away from each other) when I'm out. I had a bonging noise coming from my pocket in a meeting the other day, so I put my GN on silent and couldn't work out why it was still bonging until I realised I'd also got my Nexus 7 in there.

All depends on what you're used to. I like at iPhone4S's now and can't work out how anyone can see anything on them.

The only sensible thing is to not have a contract.

I was the same before being offered an amazing deal on the S3, going to cost me £520 over 2 years which works out cheaper than going sim free and giff gaff over the same time period.

Unless you want a new phone sooner than that, or if you want a phone the network hasn't broken. Orange removed OTA updates from their S3s for example.

True, but this was the right deal for me at his moment in time, didn't fancy whacking £400 on the CC.

I didn't know Orange had removed ota updates though, how will I update my phone?

Do it properly and get the new Nexus handset if you are prepared to wait. I think even our chum Conor is starting to warm to the idea that Nexus handsets are the way to go.

When would that be out?

Depends what you read, some saying November some saying Q1 2013, there is also talk of 3 Nexus handsets.

I would have waited myself but my ip4 is on its arse.

I can't shake this nagging feeling that I should have waited for the LTE S3 though.

I wouldnt touch LTE yet. I still think good LTE tariffs are a year away here, and good LTE handsets probably arent out yet, as far as I am aware they still need two antennas, one for data and one for voice which has a big effect on battery life. 2014 will probably be when LTE becomes a must have in this part of the world.

As for the Nexus handsets? Nobody knows a date, but November-January is probably the best guess if previous release dates are anything to go by. Said this several times in the thread, but far better to have the handset that Google are building Android around than anything else. No bloatware, no long waits for updates (my 2010 Nexus S has had Jelly Bean since July. S3 owners are still waiting, arent they?) and the satisfaction that your handset wont be abandoned as soon as the next one comes along (hello S2 users) so if you can wait, wait. I am.

Upgrade due. Going to get an S3 I think. Seem sensible? How have you gents managed to cope with the fact that it's bigger than many trouser pockets? Handbags at dawn?

I'm using the galaxy note for the past 2 days, and it's great. It fits into my pocket fine. The S3 seems small to me now, also I had no problem using the S3 with one hand and I have small hands.

The galaxy nexus feels very small, I think it's because of the touch screen keys making the screen look smaller.

You will get used to the S3 screen size pretty quickly. But I suggest you ditch your contract, buy a 2nd hand galaxy nexus on ebay for a shade over 200 quid and get on giffgaff.

That is my advice to everyone. But if you must for some reason sign up for a new contract, get the S3.

When would that be out?

S4 won't be out till May at the earliest next year. The S3 only came out 3 months ago after all. Samsung rubbished rumours about it being out in March. They'll not announce it at MWC. They'll stick to a stand alone event for the S4 like they did with the S3.

As for the next nexus, it'd be released when the next version of Android is coming out. Which Rev pointed out before is about every 9 months. So March next year would be a good guess. But it'll probably made by Sony if rumours are true. Samsung don't need the help

Â