Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I just watched the opening of the first apple-store in sweden. It was the most retarded thing I've ever seen. Is it the same concept everywhere when they open to have a cult-like cheering-wohooing-dancing spunkfest?

(avoiding flamewars by posting this in here)

It's pretty pathetic and I've no idea why they do it. It's an American thing I think. People rushing into stores etc.. it spread from there I assume.

Who goes to shops to buy things like electronics anymore anyway? Amazon do next day delivery as do most places. Just have it sent to work.

Summary of google vs. Alibaba/Acer. Google's position doesn't seem unreasonable after reading the quotes from them.

Last week was really bad for Acer as there was a report going around that Google had forced Acer to cancel the launch of its CloudMobile A800 smartphone, based on the cloud-based Aliyun OS developed by Alibaba, and also threatening to “terminate Android product cooperation and related technical authorization with Acer”. Whatever was happening behind the scenes, the situation definitely made Google look ugly.

At first no response was received from Google but yesterday Andy Rubin, Senior Vice President of Mobile and Digital Content at Google, posted a note on his Google+ page that reveals something about the search giant’s perspective on things.

“Hey John Spelich — We agree that the Aliyun OS is not part of the Android ecosystem and you’re under no requirement to be compatible. However, the fact is, Aliyun uses the Android runtime, framework and tools. And your app store contains Android apps (including pirated Google apps). So there’s really no disputing that Aliyun is based on the Android platform and takes advantage of all the hard work that’s gone into that platform by the OHA. So if you want to benefit from the Android ecosystem, then make the choice to be compatible. Its easy, free, and we’ll even help you out. But if you don’t want to be compatible, then don’t expect help from OHA members that are all working to support and build a unified Android ecosystem.”

OHA was created by Google to maintain certain level of compatibility across the Android Platform and to maintain high quality products for consumers. If they allow a new platform to exist that has little to no compatibility with Android, it would weaken the platform. OHA membership doesn’t force its member from using different platform on its devices e.g WP7, Bada etc. But the issue here is that Acer & Alibaba are going for an incompatible version of Android which will further increase fragmentation problem in Android. In the end Alibaba and Acer left Google with no choice but to bring the hammer down.

My Mobile network keeps turning off automatically on my one s, I can txt and call people, just can't seem to connect to the Internet, when I'm not on phone. Anyone got any idea what's going on?

I don't understand. Why would you be able to connect to the internet when ou are not on the phone? Is this about tethering?

My Mobile network keeps turning off automatically on my one s, I can txt and call people, just can't seem to connect to the Internet, when I'm not on phone. Anyone got any idea what's going on?

I don't understand. Why would you be able to connect to the internet when ou are not on the phone? Is this about tethering?

Just fixed it, was a app i downloaded that was preventing It from connecting. All Sorted cheers :thumb:

I just watched the opening of the first apple-store in sweden. It was the most retarded thing I've ever seen. Is it the same concept everywhere when they open to have a cult-like cheering-wohooing-dancing spunkfest?
Yep. The **** things are always rammed too. I work about 500 yards from the Birmingham store and I don't think I have ever seen it empty or even half empty, which is quite an achievement when you consider that the Birmingham branch has been open for at least five years.

Has there ever been numbers released comparing iphone sales to high end android phone sales? I mean the top Phones from Samsung, HTC, Sony, Motorola and LG.

It'd be be interesting reading if the Android crowd outsold apple at the high end.

Good piece on Android evolution

They make a very good point about Android devices, which is..

They need to demonstrate that Android devices, unlike the iPhone, greatly evolve at an amazing pace, and that when you purchase a new Android flagship device, you aren’t simply purchasing an upgraded version of the device you bought last year.

It's a key point, look at the Galaxy S series, how different are the 3 of them.

I think Samsung will own the Android market if they can release the S4 with a great design and quality feel like the One X. I still want the removable sd card and removable battery, but that can be accomplished with a high quality design with a premium feel. Pair that with the stunning magic that the 5 inch Super AMOLED Plus HD screen will be and they'll have a bigger hit than the S3 on their hands. Get it to market in March, like Samsung execs have been saying, with a Quad Core Exynos A15, 2GB RAM and LTE and sell it cheaper than the iPhone. Game Over. HTC better focus on WP8.

But it better ship with Key Lime Pie and not just JellyBean. You'd expect Android 4.2 to be released around March next year. Touchwiz should continue the trend and become a lighter skin yet again keeping the Samsung improvments but reducing turn around time.

Conor, you can get most of those hardware specs on the North American, Japanese, Aussie, or South Korean versions of the S III.

[table]

[row][mcol]South Korea[mcol]NA / Japan[mcol]Oz[mcol]RoW

[mrow]CPU / SoC[col]1.4 GHz Exynos (quadcore)[col]1.5 GHz Snapdragon (quadcore)[col]1.4 GHz Exynos (quadcore)[col]1.4 GHz Exynos (quadcore)

[mrow]RAM[col]2GB[col]2GB[col]2GB[col]1GB

[mrow]LTE[col]Yes[col]Yes (except T-Mobile, Mobilicity, Wind, Videotron)[col]Yes[col]No

[mrow]42 Mbit HSPA+[col]No[col]Yes (T-Mobile, Mobilicity, Wind, Videotron)[col]No[col]No

[/table]

Has there ever been numbers released comparing iphone sales to high end android phone sales? I mean the top Phones from Samsung, HTC, Sony, Motorola and LG.

It'd be be interesting reading if the Android crowd outsold apple at the high end.

4s was the biggest selling phone up until last month when the S3 outsold it for the first time, think that may have just been the US though.

Yup Swiftkey and Chrome for sure.

And after this, make it YOUR phone, see what you want from it and make it happen :)

for example, I use MobileMouse, Androzip, 4Shared, Dropbox (remember to claim your 50gb allocation with them!), Advanced task killer, Onavo Count, Llama, the brilliant Kies Air so you can work your phone from your desktop)

And so much more. It feels like my phone, not something that is restricted to a few tools.

Please please un install the task killer. Google put a lot of work into the task killer and all the 3rd party apps do is hurt your battery.

Long press the home button to get to task killer. The proper one.

Also get light flow app. This great for customising the LED colours for different notifications

Â