Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

What will be interesting when the iPhone 5 comes out is if Apple have spent more time concentrating on litigation or making great hardware. If its the former it could prove a very hollow victory today.

Well it appears we have the answer

I just wonder what will happen now, will the big sales fool apple into believing that everything s Ok. An iPhone 5S next year and then we'll do something new with the iPhone 6.

I mean where will Android be? What will the Galaxy S4 and S5 be?? Nobody can claim the iPhone is leaking the pack in anything other than sales. It has just released the phone with the most Android features yet.

Anyone know why you can't purchase movies on Google play? Seems you can only rent them, where as on iTunes, PSNetwork etc. you can either 'purchase' or 'rent'. Is it a licensing issue or something that will come to us eventually?

Just seems a bit odd is all.

From PSN:

Once you buy a video to own for your PlayStation®3 system, it’s yours to keep and watch on your PlayStation®3 system and up to three activated PSP® systems. If you buy standard definition videos specifically to watch on your PSP® system, you can still watch them on two (2) other activated PSP®s and one (1) PlayStation®3*.

From Apple:

What are the usage rights with movies?

You can transfer to five computers, sync with all the iPods you own, and burn to DVD for data archiving purposes only (not for DVD playback). You can also sync to up to five Apple TVs which don't count as one of your five computers.

You can't buy movies to do whatever you want with, anywhere online legally. Blame the MPAA.

In fact, Apple and Sony shouldn't be allowed to call them purchases. They're not. The movies are encoded so only certain players will play them and will stop you from copying them to other devices. The movies are never yours to own and they can just stop working at any time.

Anyone know why you can't purchase movies on Google play? Seems you can only rent them, where as on iTunes, PSNetwork etc. you can either 'purchase' or 'rent'. Is it a licensing issue or something that will come to us eventually?

Just seems a bit odd is all.

From PSN:

Once you buy a video to own for your PlayStation®3 system, it’s yours to keep and watch on your PlayStation®3 system and up to three activated PSP® systems. If you buy standard definition videos specifically to watch on your PSP® system, you can still watch them on two (2) other activated PSP®s and one (1) PlayStation®3*.

From Apple:

What are the usage rights with movies?

You can transfer to five computers, sync with all the iPods you own, and burn to DVD for data archiving purposes only (not for DVD playback). You can also sync to up to five Apple TVs which don't count as one of your five computers.

You can't buy movies to do whatever you want with, anywhere online legally. Blame the MPAA.

In fact, Apple and Sony shouldn't be allowed to call them purchases. They're not. The movies are encoded so only certain players will play them and will stop you from copying them to other devices. The movies are never yours to own and they can just stop working at any time.

What I mean is;

'rent' = watch once or 'own' for say 24 hours for eg.

'purchase' = watch as much as you like and is essentially yours to keep on your device (unless like what you posted happens and it gets removed or whatever).

Why can't we purchase (as in the above definition) on google play? I'm fairly sure this isnt a difficult question, I'm not debating the legal definitions of ownage when talking about digital items. Appreciate the help and sorry if I'm not being clear.

As a as I can see, someone correct me if I'm wrong, the new iPhone is basically just a bigger, faster iPhone 4s.

Now I had a Samsung galaxy s which I broke a couple of month ago and have been running a cheap sim free mobile since then. I thought I'd wait to see what the iPhone 5 was going to be like.

Can someone sum up the features that Samsung focused on when they launched the Samsung galaxy s 3?

What I mean is;

'purchase' = watch as much as you like and is essentially yours to keep on your device (unless like what you posted happens and it gets removed or whatever).

Why can't we purchase (as in the above definition) on google play? I'm fairly sure this isnt a difficult question, I'm not debating the legal definitions of ownage when talking about digital items. Appreciate the help and sorry if I'm not being clear.

Sorry for forcing you to be so concise. :) I'm still uneasy about calling anything DRM'd a purchase though. It's a rental, nothing more.

Anyway, it seems that Google does do movie purchases in the US, but not yet in the UK. They're a bit slow compared to others at getting stuff licensed in Europe. I think it's in their psyche to be a bit aloof and not be part of the towel-flicking, back-slapping old boys network that you need to be part of to backhand these deals through.

What I mean is;

Sorry for forcing you to be so concise. :) I'm still uneasy about calling anything DRM'd a purchase though. It's a rental, nothing more.

Anyway, it seems that Google does do movie purchases in the US, but not yet in the UK. They're a bit slow compared to others at getting stuff licensed in Europe. I think it's in their psyche to be a bit aloof and not be part of the towel-flicking, back-slapping old boys network that you need to be part of to backhand these deals through.

Ha, sorry chap :) hopefully this particular feature that every other store allows will make it to these shores one day

Cheers again :thumb:

As a as I can see, someone correct me if I'm wrong, the new iPhone is basically just a bigger, faster iPhone 4s.

Now I had a Samsung galaxy s which I broke a couple of month ago and have been running a cheap sim free mobile since then. I thought I'd wait to see what the iPhone 5 was going to be like.

Can someone sum up the features that Samsung focused on when they launched the Samsung galaxy s 3?

Well there is nothing key in the iPhone 5 or iOS6 that isn't in Android. If you liked the Galaxy S, you'll love the S3. It's the best phone I've ever owned.

The S3 has 4.8 inch HD screen. 8mp camera, excellent batterylife, excellent a quad core processor and NFC. It's a really amazing phone and if I were you coming from a Galaxy S I'd defo get it. There is no way you'll be disappointed.

There are other great Android phones too not just the S3. But given you owned a bit S like myself I'd suggest you stick with Samsung for another 2 years.

I wonder what the nexus 7 sales are like?

Also, the release of the iphone 5 made me think in the 4 to 4.3 inch screen are only the One S would be a top quality android phone.

Is there any others? I don't think Samsung should let the S2 be its phone for that size range next year. They need a new 4.3 inch headline phone.

Nexus 7's are selling about as quickly as Asus can make them it seems. They might be up in the region of 7-8m by the time the year is out. If they had the manufacturing capacity of Samsung or Apple then that number would probably be higher.

Couple of Q's on the S3

If I buy unlocked will it receive updates slower

Is it a standard or micro sim

Does it have nav, does it use data or are the maps pre loaded

When is jelly bean out

Is it likely to see a price drop any time soon

Thanks

Jim

Couple of Q's on the S3

If I buy unlocked will it receive updates slower

Is it a standard or micro sim

Does it have nav, does it use data or are the maps pre loaded

When is jelly bean out

Is it likely to see a price drop any time soon

Thanks

Jim

1. No, most likely quicker.

2. Standard

3. Yes it has nav, it does use data but it caches the maps for pre-programmed routes, or you can select areas of maps to save offline for later use. (e.g. I recently went walking over some remote hills without mobile signal. I pre-cached the entire area at home so I couldn't get lost)

4. Now if you want it, in a few weeks if you're not bothered. You shouldn't really be bothered too much though, Android upgrades on manufacturer phones don't change loads because the skins on top don't change loads.

5. They'll maybe even go up with the recent iPhone5 launch. I think you'll have to wait until later in the year if there is a decent Nexus or an alternative HTC/Moto etc that will compete with the S3 to push prices down.

It has a micro sim actually Darren.

Jelly bean is out in October, probably early October as it was expected this month and they did a test ota rollout on unlocked phones in Germany.

It will get a price cut in the US. Probably world wide too. That's why I'm selling mine next week.

Eh. Now I'm confused. I swapped the SIMs around from the GN, NS and S3 for a little while. I'll have to check later to see if I'm going mad.

Congratulations on your purchase. That's a lot of User Xperience for the money ;)

Well if it doesn't take a microsim then I was cutting up my old sim with a scissors to fit for no reason!!?

Yeah I must say from toying with the idea of a nexus and the price was too good, it made my decision for me. I'll keep it long term so I'll always have latest android no matter what phone I'm using at the time.

My Note arrives tomorrow. This will be a fun week using that as my phone. I'll probably by glad when the nexus arrives. Haha

Â