Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Here's a question, would be hurt more by Samsung ditching Android? Google or Samsung? Was a hypothetical question posed on engadget mobile podcast.

It's hard to know, really depends on how good windows phone 8 is. I think it's damage for both, but probably damage Google ever so slightly more.

Will never happen thought, Samsung making trucks of money from Android.

Samsung. Another OEM would just step up to fill the void they left, probably with a big push from Google, just look at the success of the Nexus 7. Cant see it happening though, the current arrangement is very much win win so why change it?

This my first post on VT from my Galaxy Nexus. It arrived at lunch time.

My desk here in work is scattered with devices. With My Nexus 7 being the lone Taiwanese device in a sea of Korea.

The Note, Nexus, S3 and Series 9

For 200 quid this phone is in immaculate condition. True bargain.

I must say the galaxy nexus is very zippy with JB. Especially Chrome, which is now native. It's noticeably faster than the S3, silky smooth browsing even on VT.

Also I like the design of the Nexus, it feels rugged. It also feels smaller in the hand than the S3 despite it being thicker and the same width. The textured plastic back is like the S2 and I liked it then and like it now.

I dunno there's something about the phone, something very likeable. It just feels so functional, minimal. Stock android is very bland, but that fits with the whole rugged feel. This is a phone you could still be using in 2 years time.

I'm not liking the onscreen touch buttons.they rob you of lots of screen space. It makes the screen feel cramped. I can't see why they aren't in the massive black bezel at the bottom of the phone. I know it's how the os was built. But you'd think they would have got rid of the big bezel then.

Is it worth me considering instead of an S3 Conor?

At the price, yes. Im very impressed with it, its a very solid device, is it better than the S3? I've only had it half a day but in some ways it is better. But then the camera is poor, especially compared to the S3. You do get less screen real estate for the same size phone.

The S3 is a better phone, especially when it gets jelly bean in a couple of weeks the advantage of the nexus will be cut. But I can see me still going back to the Nexus in a year maybe two years time whenever a new version of Android is out. I just really like this phone.

The fact I got a mint condition nexus off ebay for 205 quid, total bargain.

So it boils down to. The Nexus is 150 quid cheaper brand new than the S3, at that price it is the best phone around, bang for your buck. But if price wasn't a factor, the S3 has an amazing camera, better battery life and a bigger screen. Plus a physical home key. Also it's got a more responsive screen, only noticed it going back to last year's phone from the S3. It's the better phone, but not by as much as I thought.

So if you buy either, you'll be getting a fantastic phone. But darn this Nexus is such a likeable phone. Maybe it's just jelly bean.

Ah **** it, S3 would be my pick coming from the iPhone. The S3 got better every day I used it.

That was just ramblings of a man who can't decide.

Bottom line, if the nexus had a camera near as good as the S3 I'd pick that. But it doesn't so the S3 with JellyBean will be the better phone. But yes you should consider the nexus.

But would recommend any of the One X, the One S, S3 and Nexus. Can't go wrong with any of them, bar maybe the One X if you can't charge your phone mid day.

Cheers,

My mind is made up, I'm going for the S3, had a slight wobble when I saw the I5 contract prices but have found a good deal on an S3 so have opted to go contract instead of sim free.

The wife has just ordered a one x as well, she much preferred the look and feel over the S3.

Conor, glad you've experienced both sides now so you can have an objective view. Butter on Jellybean is going to be lovely on the S3 eh?

Anyway, I know the camera hardware on the S3 is definitely better, but real world results do speak for themselves

Perhaps I'm just such an excellent photographer, I can make anything look good ;)

I wouldn't bother. 7.2Mbps on HSDPA is plenty fast enough and no-one (including EE) is going to let you download anywhere near full LTE speeds, it'd cripple their network.

I don't know about anyone else, but I spend most of my time on WiFi anyway.

Major spanner in the works from the link to the galaxy Nexus Darren posted in the iPhone thread. £250 looks very attractive.

Both are great, but that's a great price. I have idea how legit the site is though.

Decent comparison

After seeing how long it takes Samsung to get software updates out for their handsets it will take a very special phone to get me to go there again. Nexus handsets are the way to go.

Interesting to see your opinion on the Nexus after a few days Conor

Â