Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

My wife got the most minuscule bit of water on my Galaxy Nexus and it is dead. I'm raging at both the Mrs. and these new phones. I mean the amount of water that got in contact with the phone was as little as it might get if it was raining and the handset was in your pocket. Grrrrrrrr.!

If that annoys you, the US military spec Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro might be up your alley

The phone meets U.S. military spec 810G for dust, humidity, rain, shock, and temperature. When all of its ports are tightly closed, you can submerge the Rugby Pro in up to 3 feet of water for 30 minutes. I placed it in a container of water for 30 minutes with the screen on and it came back out just fine. But as far as dropping the phone, things aren't as reliable. I dropped the Rugby Pro onto the hard, rubbery floor of the PCMag Lab from a height of five feet about ten times. Roughly half of those times the phone's battery cover opened partially, secured only by the lock on the bottom. And twice the phone's battery became dislodged and nearly popped out. So while this phone can stand up to mild abuse, and probably isn't going to break from a fall like your standard smartphone might, you should still be careful with it.

Cheers Rev, what is this? Only glanced at the webpage but I assume it uses data? Problem I have is a rubbish data connection at work. Is there no way to connect the PC to the USB storage any more? Incredible if true.

You'll have to tell us what you're trying to do to get more help. Are these files that you should be using Dropbox or Google Drive to share?

I took a photo with the camera and want to copy it across to my pc using the usb cable. When connected I no longer have an option to put the phone in usb mass storage mode ((previously I had the option for storage or charge only)

I took a photo with the camera and want to copy it across to my pc using the usb cable. When connected I no longer have an option to put the phone in usb mass storage mode ((previously I had the option for storage or charge only)

Thats a perfect Airdroid use. Just make sure the phone and the computer is on the same internal network. That or GoggleDrive/Dropbox when you have cellular reception and can't put the phone on your computer network

Edited by Tegis

Mass storage mode works by unmounting the internal/external SD and allowing it to be mounted over the USB cable. It can only be mounted from one place at one time as the file locking mechanisms of the filesystems underneath can't handle distributed locking. Of course this means you can't use stuff on your phone and your phone can't run stuff that has anything to do with this storage while it's in this mode, which has always been a problem.

They came up with MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) to get around this as it allows the filesystem to be mounted by the phone but still accessed over USB. It's a better way of doing things but comes with its own problems.

It's confusing when you're changed from mass storage to MTP as you plug the USB cable in you don't have to perform any further actions, it just appears as a media device in My Computer (assuming Windows). The irony with a Linux host is that you're connecting an open, Linux based phone to an open, Linux based host and the protocol used in the middle came mainly from Microsoft and stops the 2 from talking.

Anyway, just plug your phone in and look at your drives in My Computer or whatever Microsoft call that 'Computer' location these days.

I've had this problem for a while now I've never really got around it.

I assume many of you use your phones in your car to hook up to your stereo to listen to music. When I do this via USB nothing happens. It connects OK and the storage or charge (I think) comes up on my phone. I've tried both and then going on to play my music but it never plays through the car - just the phone.

I tried an AUX and it works but it doesn't charge the phone and I've noticed I have to turn the volume up on the stereo quite high to hear anything.

But yes, is there no way I can listen through the USB?

There's a FUSE for MTP on linux. I installed it but only used it once. I can do everything I need with g+, dropbox and airdroid.

I use go-mtpfs which is excellent. But you have to download a binary then manually mount using it. All the framework for MTP is in GvFS, but has this ridiculous bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/972311 which they aren't treating serious enough.

I've had this problem for a while now I've never really got around it.

I assume many of you use your phones in your car to hook up to your stereo to listen to music. When I do this via USB nothing happens. It connects OK and the storage or charge (I think) comes up on my phone. I've tried both and then going on to play my music but it never plays through the car - just the phone.

I tried an AUX and it works but it doesn't charge the phone and I've noticed I have to turn the volume up on the stereo quite high to hear anything.

But yes, is there no way I can listen through the USB?

Any car stereos which will allow you to play music from USB do so by mounting the phones SD as mass storage. You'll find that they all state up to Android 2.3 compatible as >4.0 changed to MTP which they won't support.

The best way is to use aux in via headphone jack or pair via Bluetooth which actually is excellent using the latest protocols.

re: the photo thing, I have my phone configured to automatically upload every picture I take to a private gallery on Google Plus when it detects it is on a WiFi network. It's a fantastic way of having your photo gallery backed up.

bipLjsf.png

Like my snowman friend here.

Is the Galaxy S3 mini any good?

The missus wants a new phone for around £25 a month, but not too big and I've told her to avoid getting a iPhone.

Any ideas what I should get?

Answered on page 231.

You shouldn't get anything on contract.

Is the Galaxy S3 mini any good?

The missus wants a new phone for around £25 a month, but not too big and I've told her to avoid getting a iPhone.

Any ideas what I should get?

If your after a decent mid-range phone then I'd ignore the s3 mini and go for the HTC One-S, 4.3 inch screen so bigger than the iphone 5 but not as big in the hand as the top end phones like the s3, n4 and One-X etc but still has a lot of grunt underneath and a great screen as well.

My wife got the most minuscule bit of water on my Galaxy Nexus and it is dead. I'm raging at both the Mrs. and these new phones. I mean the amount of water that got in contact with the phone was as little as it might get if it was raining and the handset was in your pocket. Grrrrrrrr.!

Stick it in a bag of rice and leave it somewhere warm for a while.

Chances are it's not dead dead and just needs to dry out.

I realise that there are workarounds for getting files off your phone but I'm just pretty pissed off that what was a slick, simple drag and drop opteration has been taken away. Its the kind of thing I'd expect from Apple.

I realise that there are workarounds for getting files off your phone but I'm just pretty pissed off that what was a slick, simple drag and drop opteration has been taken away. Its the kind of thing I'd expect from Apple.

It still is a simple drag and drop operation.

Only now it's one that means you can access the storage on your phone at the same time.

Do any of you guys use ES File Explorer? It's free, you can copy/paste stuff over wifi, it's a dropbox/sugarsync etc client, it's an ftp client, it's an MD5 checker, it can unzip files. It has a built in music player and can stream stuff over wifi from your network storage. It's absolutely bloody awesome. I use it every single day.

Do any of you guys use ES File Explorer? It's free, you can copy/paste stuff over wifi, it's a dropbox/sugarsync etc client, it's an ftp client, it's an MD5 checker, it can unzip files. It has a built in music player and can stream stuff over wifi from your network storage. It's absolutely bloody awesome. I use it every single day.

Yup, it's my on-phone-filemanager of choice. It does everything and then some

Â