Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Been playing around with the s4 for a few days and touchwiz design choices and the usual sammy criticisms (cheap, plastic, gimmicky) aside I have to say, its a very good piece of tech. I had the s3 about 18 months ago and this is on a different level to it. Its so light, looks a lot better in the hand than it does in pictures and is a joy to use. Glad I went for it & getting it cheaper instead of paying over the odds for an s5 or something similar.

Oh and the functionality with the gear is great fun too.

So you went with the earlier deal you quoted Ingram. Best of luck with the phone and watch. I tried the s4 in a shop and I was really taken with it. The guy in the mobile shop told me that the s4 camera is way better than the m8 ( I'm learning darrenm) but for some reason I just like the look of the m8 and if I'm going on a contract I would want the most up to date phone. Haven't jumped yet so I'm still open to persuasion on both and looking around you can get the s4 off contract on the street for around £250.

The camera is a relative thing though, isn't it?  HTC have clearly decided that most photos taken with a phone either stay on the phone or are used on things like Facebook and Twitter.  They've made a camera which is good in low light because of that (again, probably for the people who takes lots of pictures of nights out to put on Facebook) and they have sacrificed the megapixel count.  If you print out large pictures regularly then you shouldn't be using a camera phone anyway, I guess the biggest argument against HTC's design is if you crop larger pictures down to smaller sizes for composition reasons. I know I do that from time to time. 

I'd take anything a salesman in a shop says with a pinch of salt though.  I've got a mate who has sold mobile phones for a living for fifteen years, he is more motivated by which phones give him the best commission than he is about giving impartial advice. If Samsung give a better cut than HTC do then he is pushing the Samsung on customers. 

• Like 1

Shaggy, it comes down to whether you want to pay top whack or less for a phone 6-10 months older. To me, the s4 is a better financial bargain than the s5. Incremental update,  bigger but less ppi screen but a little faster & a slightly improved camera. The horrible waterproof plaster-esqe back of the s5 swung it for me in favour of the s4. Not sure ill ever have a flagship again, ill stick to the previous version each time.

The M8 however looks awesome & as long as its semi decent I dont give two hoots about the camera. Ive had a n4 & moto g, both inferior camera wise but I never had a problem.

Comes down to cost really.

• Like 1

Been playing around with the s4 for a few days and touchwiz design choices and the usual sammy criticisms (cheap, plastic, gimmicky) aside I have to say, its a very good piece of tech. I had the s3 about 18 months ago and this is on a different level to it. Its so light, looks a lot better in the hand than it does in pictures and is a joy to use. Glad I went for it & getting it cheaper instead of paying over the odds for an s5 or something similar.

Oh and the functionality with the gear is great fun too. 

Are you going to Cyanogenmod it? Or stick with touchwiz?

I may CM it just to get rid of the bloat. It runs like a dream but im guessing 6 months from now it wont be. I might just put a coat of nova on it for now so I can get rid of the colourful overlay and get the lovely stock icons back on it.

Would it be easy/possible to unroot my android tablet? I installed skygo on it bit it wont work on rooted devices, i don't even know what that means

Can you give us some clues? Which tablet? How did you root it (ie. where did you get the instructions)?

Its just a generic android tablet, running android 4.4 & i didn't root it, it came like it from new, ive googled how to unroot it and its suggested downloading a systems operator app which lets me do a temp unroot which still hasn't solved the issue

Its just a generic android tablet, running android 4.4 & i didn't root it, it came like it from new, ive googled how to unroot it and its suggested downloading a systems operator app which lets me do a temp unroot which still hasn't solved the issue

Probably not if it's been installed like that. How do you know it's rooted?

See if it'll let you uninstall "superSU". I think that's all sky look for anyway. You can reinstall it if you need it again.

Tried that just, launched the skygo app and pressed play but it still comes back with the same response"skygo is not supported on rooted android devices"

wouldn't be a problem if sky would develop the app to work on windows phone but when i asked the question they said they had no plans to do that

Model number - CnM touchpad 9.7

android version 4.0.4

baseband version 1.5

kernel version 3.0.8+ pshu@INGENIC-CROSS #30 thu oct 15.32.02 cst 2012

build number touchpad 9.7-eng 4.0.4 IMM76D 20121029 test-keys

Edited by Jimzk5

I currently have a HTC One (M7). Thought it was a fantastic device.  Think I'll be purchasing the M8 this week. The build quality on HTC phones are just superior to all imo.  

It's a shame HTC don't have more market share because the phones they make are fantastic. 

I've been using HTC phones ever since this bad boy, oh how times have changed.

htc_p3301.jpg

Edited by PieFacE

Model number - CnM touchpad 9.7

android version 4.0.4

baseband version 1.5

kernel version 3.0.8+ pshu@INGENIC-CROSS #30 thu oct 15.32.02 cst 2012

build number touchpad 9.7-eng 4.0.4 IMM76D 20121029 test-keys

Is it one of these? http://www.cnmlifestyle.com/index.html

If so, grab all the support docs you can as it looks like they've gone bust.

It's not shipped rooted, which suggests that it is something you've installed. You could try deleting apps one by one, but I'd back up everything (you should set it to do this automatically) and do a factory reset.

Im not sure what to make of that limpid, i brought it about 12 months ago from Argos for £74.99, it had a retail price kf £149, knocked down to £110 but with a discount and vouchers i had brought it down to £75, i only brought it as a cheap internet browser which is what its done for me, i haven't installed many apps, and i rebooted it just last week before i installed skygo infact, if it doesn't come already rooted i don't know what's happened

Â