The 'Who Supports Who' topic

I have a confession, VT. I've followed the Giants properly for almost two years now. Very recently I've been at a crossroads regarding my loyalty to the Giants. Not because they played badly last season (Hell, i'm used to that with the Villa) but through the decision making process (of lack thereof) I undertook in picking them.

The initial reasoning was that I watched a few games of theirs before, and I liked the area. They were also the first team I cheered for when I watched on British TV. I was happy enough following them through the turgid crap they served up last season, but there was still something that didn't sit right with me about them. I kept on referring back to my support of Villa, and how much better it would feel if I supported one of the lesser lights who have't won a Superbowl or enjoyed much success in a long time. I just felt like the Giants didn't really have anything that really made me feel like I wanted to properly cheer for them, if that makes any sense at all. They have enjoyed recent successes, so where's the fun?

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: If you're going to be a long-distance fan, you may as well make it interesting. Right?

So, here I am. A free agent I guess. I have been considering what I have witnessed in my first full season on being an NFL fan, and in the next few days I'll be picking my new team. I have a clear favourite in mind, but i'll stew on it for a while longer before I properly make my decision.

Become an Eagles fan  :trollface:

Edited by packoman

I have a confession, VT. I've followed the Giants properly for almost two years now. Very recently I've been at a crossroads regarding my loyalty to the Giants. Not because they played badly last season (Hell, i'm used to that with the Villa) but through the decision making process (of lack thereof) I undertook in picking them.

The initial reasoning was that I watched a few games of theirs before, and I liked the area. They were also the first team I cheered for when I watched on British TV. I was happy enough following them through the turgid crap they served up last season, but there was still something that didn't sit right with me about them. I kept on referring back to my support of Villa, and how much better it would feel if I supported one of the lesser lights who have't won a Superbowl or enjoyed much success in a long time. I just felt like the Giants didn't really have anything that really made me feel like I wanted to properly cheer for them, if that makes any sense at all. They have enjoyed recent successes, so where's the fun?

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: If you're going to be a long-distance fan, you may as well make it interesting. Right?

So, here I am. A free agent I guess. I have been considering what I have witnessed in my first full season on being an NFL fan, and in the next few days I'll be picking my new team. I have a clear favourite in mind, but i'll stew on it for a while longer before I properly make my decision.

Become an Eagles fan  :trollface:

You MUST be kidding  :lol:

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with that, I did the same in a way. When I started watching the NFL I picked the Patriots based on the fact they had England in their name. I think it's okay to pick a place holder as such to give you an initial interest. After about 2 full seasons and watching 2/3 games weekly I just found myself more and more interested in the Giants and ended up following them.

edit: F*ck that. I've made a horrible mistake. Maybe the reason I can't settle on anyone else is because I was home all along. I'm a Giant at heart, so I'm gonna stay true to that. Now I truly know there's no other team for me.

Sorry to disappoint those who thought they were getting rid of one of those Giants fans.  :lol:  :mrgreen:

Edited by adz.villa

Just follow the Giants since you know the team, even if it's just to keep a supporting interest. If another team happens to grow on you after a few years then that's fine. Just let it happen naturally instead of trying to force it on yourself

It's good advice. I guess I was just curious what else was available. I've done a lot of looking around in the past week or so and no other team captivate me or feel as right as the Giants do, it has to be said. That could change I guess, but I've been a fan for almost two years and one and a bit seasons, and I never seriously questioned it until recently. Looking back, it was a mistake to do it, although it has solidified my opinion that they are the team for me.  :)

It's kind of odd for a foreign fan as there are no ties to location, or even the everyday discussion about the sport like in football over here.

Edited by adz.villa
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reckon I should go for the Seahawks then.  They won tonight, so I get to be a glory fan, they're kinda local, and I remember watching an NFL game when I was little and making one of the crappy card signs the fans hold up there - and it was the Seahawks.  Seems it was written in the stars...

• Like 4

Â