What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

Mancini on the SSN this morning to say he's still interested in Milner and Balotelli and that they have a whole month to work on them but complained about the prices.

I would complain about the fact a smary clearing in the woods (mancini) is doing prospecting of players quite openly via the press, 12 and 24 mths ago another smarmy clearing in the woods (benitez) was doing the same and still no one puts a stop to it. when our ex smarmy clearing in the woods (o'leary) got done for the same thing.

But on topic, I am not overly concerned about Milner, good player that he is (would be a shame if he left) but it happened with Barry and many players beforehand they all move on and they all get replaced. Shit happens

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

]

very pessy that Ash mate!

FWIW, were we to finish top 4 this season, I could easily see Milly both staying and re-signing, as we could offer him good money, and prospects of a title push and CL football. He'd have little reason then to leave, other than (even more) money.

But i don't see us achieving top 4, so it's a moot point. :(:lol:

The thing is that even if we manage to end up somewhere in the top 4 we need to stay there for a good few years in order to expand our reputation and fan base enough to attract interest to become one of the more well known teams in the world. City are slowly getting there just by spending ridiculous money on players that can help them on the pitch as well as raise their profile off the pitch. So far they haven't achieved what they set out to do, but considering that they switched managers last year and still ended up 5th, they will most probably do even better next season. We are effectively locked out of the top 5 now unless we perform some sort of miracle. We can't deal our way into that top 5 bracket by being shrewd in the transfer market. It's impossible despite what many fans are saying.

For that reason alone we stand a greater chance of "going down fighting" if we force Milner to stay and hope that he will perform for no other reason than playing for a move next year when his contract has one year less to run and won't be as expensive. We are relegated to having to wait for all the big boys to do their transfer stuff first (to a lesser extent that includes Spurs as well now) and then move for the scraps left on the floor. We are ****, and even getting 6th will take a massive effort on the part of our lads. The best we can hope for here is for some of our younger players to have developed and matured a bit compared to last season.

I know many like to blame MON for this situation, but that is quite unfair in my opinion. The game had changed even when Lerner took over, and when Man City got taken over, it changed even more. Add to that the fact that Spurs managed to get 4th, and the world looks very dark for the likes of us. But again, Milner will probably go no matter where we end up in relation to City. True, if they bomb horribly and suffer a catastrophic loss of dressing room morale, he might think twice. But sooner or later he will go, because the sheik can keep throwing money at the team and he will most probably continue doing that until he gets what he wants from it.

As for O'Neill not being pushed around, no I'm sure he won't but ultimately it might not mean we get a better deal for him.

True. The only important thing should always be that we get the best deal for Villa. If MON thinks that's another season out of Milner and a reduced sell-on next season then fine but I can't help thinking it's a pride thing with him and that he'd rather keep Milner out of pig-headedness than give us a bumper transfer budget.

Mancini on the SSN this morning to say he's still interested in Milner and Balotelli and that they have a whole month to work on them but complained about the prices.

I would complain about the fact a smary clearing in the woods (mancini) is doing prospecting of players quite openly via the press, 12 and 24 mths ago another smarmy clearing in the woods (benitez) was doing the same and still no one puts a stop to it. when our ex smarmy clearing in the woods (o'leary) got done for the same thing.

Only it isn't the same thing.

Benitez and Manchini has said they are interested in the players, O'Leary said Beattie wanted to join us which proved he had spoken to him or his agent without permission to do so. A small but very important difference.

Only it isn't the same thing.

Benitez and Manchini has said they are interested in the players, O'Leary said Beattie wanted to join us which proved he had spoken to him or his agent without permission to do so. A small but very important difference.

Fair point

If Sky were worth their salt they'd tried and steer an interview in the direction of Mancini saying that he 'knows' Milner wants to join. Then we'd have a tapping case :)

At the end of the day there is nothing in this last article we haven't seen numerous times since the end of the season.

Ill believe nothing till I hear something from one of the protagonists....or hopefully not!

As for O'Neill not being pushed around, no I'm sure he won't but ultimately it might not mean we get a better deal for him.

True. The only important thing should always be that we get the best deal for Villa. If MON thinks that's another season out of Milner and a reduced sell-on next season then fine but I can't help thinking it's a pride thing with him and that he'd rather keep Milner out of pig-headedness than give us a bumper transfer budget.

I'm inclined to think the same.

I'm mean where did holding onto Barry get us? We sold him for £12m which even with 1 year left on his contract was cheap.

If Man City's top offer at the moment is £20m with 2 years left what are they going to offer in 12 months when he has a year to go. We will be looking at getting not much more than we paid for him.

I wouldn't call getting £20m for a player we paid £12m for a huge profit really but I'm starting to think I'd rather take that than have him sitting on his contract for a year.

Its a good job none of us are the manager as we'd pretty much be running back to Mancini now taking whatever we can get based on paper speculation. If they want him they should still pay the price we want to lose him, remember the Lescott scenario, it may take up a month but surely its worth it for the extra 5-10 million we would receive.

it may take up a month but surely its worth it for the extra 5-10 million we would receive.
That depends on how many quality replacements are traded elsewhere in the meantime. Timing is a factor here too.

You know what's sad MON actually made him who he is, gave him that opportunity for an england shirt and made him a really good player for villa....and now his pratically saying "ok well there's more money for me in X so i'll go to X instead regardless of what you've taught me and what you've done out your way to make me a better player." But hey thats football.

I'm not actually convinced O'Neill is responsible for Milner's development to be honest, I think that is down to Milner. All O'Neill is responsible for is giving him a better stage and a chance to play in the middle the rest is down to the player himself who is supposed to be one of the most dedicated players around.

You know what's sad MON actually made him who he is, gave him that opportunity for an england shirt and made him a really good player for villa....and now his pratically saying "ok well there's more money for me in X so i'll go to X instead regardless of what you've taught me and what you've done out your way to make me a better player." But hey thats football.

on the other side of the coin, the club are pretty much saying "thanks for the service james, but if we can get 30m for you then your out the door.", but hey thats football.

I don't see how people have come to the conclusion that his 'silence means he is going'.

The guy has had a long season, he had a long World Cup, and he is now on a well deserved break.

If you guys were in his shoes and you were relaxing on your holibobs after a busy year, and your work kept phoning you up, I know exactly what you would do. Switch your phone off and wait until you got home before turning it back on. (Unless you own your own business >_>)

We have 3 or 4 days until he is back, we'll see what occurs then.

on the other side of the coin, the club are pretty much saying "thanks for the service james, but if we can get 30m for you then your out the door.", but hey thats football.

One small hole in your theory, they have been trying for months to have contract talks with him to extend his stay. Hardly the sign of trying to push him out the door.

I'm not actually convinced O'Neill is responsible for Milner's development to be honest, I think that is down to Milner. All O'Neill is responsible for is giving him a better stage and a chance to play in the middle the rest is down to the player himself who is supposed to be one of the most dedicated players around.

Disagree entirely, he's never shown the sort of consistency he showed last season, if you can't accept that it's likely to have something to do with the manager then you're blinded by your own opinions on said manager.

One small hole in your theory, they have been trying for months to have contract talks with him to extend his stay.

Another hole being that not only will they not budge on their valuation, but it is a valuation that many feel is too high. So either the club value him extremely highly or they are intentionally pricing him out of a move. Either way, it is another example that the club really don't want to sell.

Bollocks and you know it, this money thing is an easy thing to throw at Milner. Lets take this summer, have Villa/MON shown any ambition in making the lad think Villa are serious, at this current moment in time Milner looks at Man City and see's Silva, Toure walk through the door adding to the fact they have Tevez, Bellamy and must think this team is serious about trying to win things, whereas us its more graft like, we work bloody hard to finish 6th, if Man City perform to their potential, it'll be fighting for the title, the only saving grace we have is i don't believe City have the right manager in place but that can be easily rectified ala Spurs. We have signed no-one and bloody look like signing no-one and to i don't want to start having a go at the board but it seems like a coincidence with the rumours of financial troubles, the General has disappeared.

I don't see how people have come to the conclusion that his 'silence means he is going'.

The guy has had a long season, he had a long World Cup, and he is now on a well deserved break.

If you guys were in his shoes and you were relaxing on your holibobs after a busy year, and your work kept phoning you up, I know exactly what you would do. Switch your phone off and wait until you got home before turning it back on. (Unless you own your own business >_>)

We have 3 or 4 days until he is back, we'll see what occurs then.

My thoughts exactly. No quotes from any side says it all to me.

I also am not of the opinion that we have no money to spend. How many other clubs have spent so far this window? Nothing to worry about and something will happen soon.