What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

David Silva, World Cup winner £24m. James Milner,World Cup flop. what? £25m? Make the deal and move on. I'm bored now, get on with it.

5 words to that my friend...

Stéphane Guivarc'h, World Cup Winner. :lol:

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Silva, World Cup winner £24m. James Milner,World Cup flop. what? £25m? Make the deal and move on. I'm bored now, get on with it.

David Silva was also playing for a club who are almost £500m in debt. When the club needs to sell, it affects the asking price, doesn't it?

We dont need to sell James Milner. If a club want to buy him then the deal has to be a very good one for Aston Villa FC. That's how things work. It's not how much some other guy from some other club who are in a completely different situation was sold for, its about us.

If I was talking about Wayne Rooney, I'd have mentioned him? We are talking about James Milner, hence the title of the thread. My point, David Silva is a world cup winner who signed for 24mill for Manchester City. Talk of others isn't relevant to this thread. What I'm asking you to do do it to put some perspective into the situation. 25mill for Milner is way, way over the top. If we can get it, then snatch their hands off!!

You completely missed the point of my post.

Plus Milner is English and the UEFA rules mean that good English players will go at a premium.
come again,UEFA decide?.i dont really get it tbh,imo Silva is a better than Milner but yet we are asking for 30m.

Valencia are a team in massive debt although 25 mill is probably right for Silva. We can ask for 30 mill or whatever we want becuase we are not in debt and he is OUR player. Man City don't have devine right to any player they want, sometimes principle is more important than the money and until Milner comes out and says he wants to go then we shouldn't sell.

No,the point I'm trying to make is,why does he cost more because he's English?.

Because he's played and delivered in the Premiership. David Silva may not even know a lick of English. Silva could take a few seasons to settle and many, many foreign players like him have failed to settle in the Premiership. Milner on the other hand has years of experience playing in this league for multiple clubs in multiple formations and positions, that's the premium and for a player of his talent, age and potential is easily worth another 5-6 million.

Silva: world cup winner?! the only game he played was the only game they lost!

Milner made more of a contribution to the world cup than Silva.

Because he's played and delivered in the Premiership. David Silva may not even know a lick of English. Silva could take a few seasons to settle and many, many foreign players like him have failed to settle in the Premiership. Milner on the other hand has years of experience playing in this league for multiple clubs in multiple formations and positions, that's the premium and for a player of his talent, age and potential is easily worth another 5-6 million.

Also Milner will be a 'home-grown player' with each club needing to reach an amount of these 'home-grown players'. They don't necessarily need to be English but they need to have come through an English clubs academy.

5 words to that my friend...

Stéphane Guivarc'h, World Cup Winner. :lol:

On the same hand you could say that if they paid £27m (or whatever it was for Lescott) then Milner's probably worth £50m

Also Milner will be a 'home-grown player' with each club needing to reach an amount of these 'home-grown players'. They don't necessarily need to be English but they need to have come through an English clubs academy.

so is steven ireland who theyre getting rid of

Sell Milner...£25m-30m is very good money.

Villa need to strengthen and buy a better team. Milner is very good for us but we can replace him. However..that means MON need to find a new midfielder and that will take time..as always.

Plus Milner is English and the UEFA rules mean that good English players will go at a premium.
come again,UEFA decide?.i dont really get it tbh,imo Silva is a better than Milner but yet we are asking for 30m.

Valencia are a team in massive debt although 25 mill is probably right for Silva. We can ask for 30 mill or whatever we want becuase we are not in debt and he is OUR player. Man City don't have devine right to any player they want, sometimes principle is more important than the money and until Milner comes out and says he wants to go then we shouldn't sell.

Some people seem to think it's only English players who cost a premium. Its bollocks, it really is. The truth is actually that if you are buying from a rival club in the same league then you pay extra. Italian players cost more if they are moving from AC Milan to Juventus, Spanish players cost more if they are moving from Barca to Real.

If Milner goes... then fine. What I don't want is for it to drag out all summer. If Man City ain't going to pay up then MON needs to say for deffinat that Milner is not going anywhere. We can then focus on selling the deadwood and signing new (hopfully) better players. I think we need Milner but £30m is a LOT of money and if used in the right way VERY good for Villa in the long run.

I just look at Spurs. They probably had similar conversations when Manchester United came in for Carrick and Berbatov. They have thrived since they sold those players.

i dont understand how people think oh hes not £25mill its stupid. hes our player, its as if we should sell him on the cheap.. if we ask for 40million its up to us hes our player, if they dont like it the can do one. i dont care how much hes worth how much silva villa henry etc went for, we can ask as much as we want, hes under contract if he doesnt like it tough. if man city dont like it.. again tough titty really

i dont understand how people think oh hes not £25mill its stupid. hes our player, its as if we should sell him on the cheap.. if we ask for 40million its up to us hes our player, if they dont like it the can do one. i dont care how much hes worth how much silva villa henry etc went for, we can ask as much as we want, hes under contract if he doesnt like it tough. if man city dont like it.. again tough titty really

Yeah, players need to learn that if they sign a contract they should be prepared to honour it. They have too much power nowadays, they sign a long-term deal for their own financial security and when a better offer comes along they seem to just ignore the contract and it's not right.

You'll be surprised at the amount of people who don't understand that the valuation of a player is upto the selling club. I remember when Barry played in Europe which would make him cup-tied that Liverpool thought they'd get him cheaper, why? He's still of the same value to us and that's what matters.

Yeah it's all well and good saying players should honour their contracts, but if Milner was to do that he'd stay for 2 years and just leave on a free which is worse for the club then selling him for 25m now.

£25 million is a fair price for James Milner... Whether or not its right to take it and what message it sends out that yet again we are selling one of our best players to Man City is another question.... But from a purely financial worthiness its a fair price. The deal should be £16 million plus Ireland. That seems good business.

The message it sends out to me is you can have this player at the price we want if your silly enough to pay it. We don't care because we will get a more than adequate replacement. Would you like him next summer too for a ridiculous amount? Whilst all this is happening, our profit margin goes up year on year, we can stand on our own two feet and yet continually build up the squad. Clever business if you ask me. It hasn't done Ajax any harm.