• £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer to keep Milner but if he must go and has to go to them, I would take Micah Richards, Shaun Wright Phillips, Nedum Onuoha and Stephen Ireland for him, but would they take a pay cut to join us?

Guest Ricardomeister

"Villa owner Randy Lerner and boss Martin O’Neill may attend the talks if they are in the country on either May 31 or June 1 when Milner is free before flying out on international duty."

I am assuming that both Randy and MON will be there as I (and I suspect many others) will be questioning their commitment if they don't attend. If I were Jimmy and they couldn't be bothered to turn up that would tell me all that I needed to know.

I am assuming that both Randy and MON will be there as I (and I suspect many others) will be questioning their commitment if they don't attend. If I were Jimmy and they couldn't be bothered to turn up that would tell me all that I needed to know.

Randy would not need to be there and does not live in the UK so may well not be available in that short window of opportunity but his offer could be made by whoever does meet him. Does anyone know if MON is likely to be in the UK to meet with James then or on his holidays?

Remember people thought Richard Dunne was a crap signing.. I think MON might develop SWP a bit, then we could sell him off, but the other three I'd take.

SWP is 28. sell him on?

It's hard to know exactly what to do here without knowing what our financial situation is this summer in terms of signing players. If we're looking for a net spend of 0, I think if we could get 20 million plus Ireland and one of Onuoha or Richards, it would be a fantastic deal. From there, if we were to sell off a few fringe players and buy a strong defensive midfielder, a striker, and perhaps one other player (a young left back, perhaps, or another creative midfielder/winger), we might well be stronger for it. If, however, we don't need to sell Milner to achieve these goals then I would much rather keep him.

The only thing that makes me uncomfortable about the whole exercise is the idea that we can buy a young player, help him grow, and them automatically lose him to a bigger (read: richer) club as soon as he distinguishes himself. It doesn't matter so much how much money we get for him - as a fan, I want to be able to feel connected with a team, but that's very difficult to do if we only have players for a couple of years at a time. Milner is the type of player that I would love us to be able to cheer on for a long time, so I do hope Randy and MON decide that we don't need the money. At a certain point, we could well be getting just ridiculous money and I'm having trouble deciding whether that is worth turning down on principle alone. I really don't know.

Ireland meandering from one end of the penalty area to the other waiting for someone to pass to him, while Carrick stands in the centre circle staring at the sky looking at the seagulls isn't really what dreams are made of.

and like dunne being the woeful defender everyone bar about 3 of us said he was last summer eh?

:P

Nope, not even slightly like that.

Ireland would be fine, even if he is mad. Carrick would be the most pointless investment we could make this summer, short of putting Heskey on a five year contract.

Completely agree on Carrick, we should set our sights higher!