The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

22 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I had a WCW phase a while back but I like your idea of watching it week by week. Man wrestling used to be amazing.

That said there is some amazing talent on the current roster but the booking is terrible. These days feuds these are no more than two people paired up to dislike each other for 3 months. Sometimes they'll join up with another feuding pair and have a tag match, woooo.

The issue is that at the moment they've got too many new guys all at World Champ level at the same time.

Styles and Zayn are terrific, but it's hard to get those sorts of guys over when there are no genuine heavyweight heavy hitters around apart from Lesnar, Jericho and maybe Reigns with all the injuries.

Kevin Owens is the worst, although he puts on pretty good matches. He's just a fat guy who sooks about everything. He's pretty good in the ring but he just has no charisma and doesn't look like a wrestler.

Another thing they lack in 2016 is factions IMO. Factions were a major, major part of the Attitude era and really drove a lot of the storyline. People changing teams, splitting up and getting back together. It was always interesting, in both WWF and WCW. I really hope Bullet Club gets off the ground as an actual faction and recruits a few members.

Edited by ThunderPower_14

Agree in general except about Owens. He's great, future top level heel for sure.

Yeah we definitely need more factions. As I said at the moment people are just paired up to feud with hardly any back story over the course of three pay per views. Factions allow for an overall running storyline on the show.

nWo, the corporation, the ministry, these storylines ran throughout every segment on the shows and involved practically the whole roster.

• Like 1

I actually don't think the booking was all that great back in the attitude era but the characters were. They all had a personality and whatever feud they were in they made it work. Now no one gets the time to develop their characters properly or to develop a feud.  Take Ambrose for example - the guy has everything in terms of building a character but they have just turned him into a bit of a joke. Roman Reigns early on was seen as a badass then they let him talk and made him say corny promos. Ruined him.

WWE Network works out as such a great deal for all sorts of viewers. 

Whether you are the wrestling fan that just likes PPV's then for £9.99 a month you get the PPV which still sells for like £40 on Sky Box Office.

If you're old school then you get almost all the old Raw episodes up until like a month or two ago so like thousands upon thousands of episodes. I think most of WCW's content and PPV's is on there. ECW's back catalogue is on there, not sure how much there is of episodes but I've been able to find PPV's. 

Then of course the Network Original content like Monday Night Wars which chronicles the battle between WCW and WWE in the 90's, to behind the scenes looks into recent Wrestlemanias in WWE 24. Not to mention NXT which is their developmental brand but hosts better wrestling than the main shows, it's great fun to watch. 

I enjoy it and most of my interest in WWE now after years and years away is thanks to WWE Network. I'm the kind of fan that likes to watch every Raw and every PPV, but when each PPV pre-Network was like £40 I was close to ditching it all. Now instead of paying £480 a year on PPV's as well as the mandatory Sky Sports sub to watch Raw, I get the PPV's for £120 a year + Unlimited wrestling content on the Network. It helped so much in getting me back into WWE in a much bigger way as now I can follow every thing if I want to. 

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

I actually don't think the booking was all that great back in the attitude era but the characters were. They all had a personality and whatever feud they were in they made it work. 

For me, from 97 - 2000 it was great, it's why I can never go full anti Russo.

I know the in ring action suffered greatly but the storylines and characters were so so captivating.  It's a big reason why I got back into aged 14.

The Hart Foundation (US v Canada), D-X, Austin v McMahon, Corporation, Ministry and Corporate Ministry were all fantastic viewing.  Raw used to end and I'd be literally buzzing with excitement for next week's episode.

Oh no I agree but if you look back a lot of the booking didn't make sense and random people would be just thrown together.  However, they focused on the big 5 or 6 stars and made sure they made that work. That's what made it so great. Plus to have people like SCSA, Rock, HHH, Jericho, Kane, Undertaker, Mankind all together was just amazing.

Yep I signed up too. Free month so nothing to lose.

Going to start in late 1998 and go from there watching Raw and PPVs until Smackdown emerges.

When I get bored I'll cancel.

Is the old ECW stuff on there too?

On 4/29/2016 at 08:46, YGabbana said:

Im tempted if all the wcw nitros etc are on there

It's not quite the same though. The WWE have post-hoc edited stuff out or re-dubbed themes. So for example, instead of hearing Chris Jericho's Pearl Jam 'evenflow' rip off theme, you get 'Break the Walls down' instead, DDP's Nirvana theme is also remixed, so kind of takes away from the authenticity. 

Ok minor details but still take a little bit away from it. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They have quite a bit of old ECW stuff on there. There are gaps in the archives currently for the old ECW TV shows and some PPV's seem missing, but they are still digitising a lot of their archive for the Network and their focus seems to be on WWE content right now. That said there is enough to get your teeth sunk into as it stands with episodes dating all the way back to 1993 are on there including notable PPV's from 1995 to 2001. They also have the three WWECW PPV's from 2005-2006 from when WWE tried to revive the ECW brand and eventually failed.. 

On 29 April 2016 at 08:32, Wainy316 said:

I had a WCW phase a while back but I like your idea of watching it week by week. Man wrestling used to be amazing.

That said there is some amazing talent on the current roster but the booking is terrible. These days feuds these are no more than two people paired up to dislike each other for 3 months. Sometimes they'll join up with another feuding pair and have a tag match, woooo.

And then like each other again and be best buddies.

Yep I signed up too. Free month so nothing to lose.

Going to start in late 1998 and go from there watching Raw and PPVs until Smackdown emerges.

When I get bored I'll cancel.

You should start in late 97 or at least early 98.

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Does anyone think Balor makes an appearance tonight at payback?

90% confident that he will make an appearance during the main event. They will likely have Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson come out first and make their intentions really vague which will likely distract AJ. Reigns wins and then the all out assault on AJ begins followed by Balor's music hitting, he runs down and looks like he's there to back up AJ though after a brief pause signals Gallows/Anderson to finish him off. Payback goes off air with all three in the center of the ring doing the handguns Bullet Club pose.

Likely won't happen but it's how I'd book it for sure.

Â