PL: Everton h Match Thread 2010/04/14 19:45

limpid

I can't call this one. Not even a prediction.

It was one those matches were any result wouldn't be a massive surprise, but I still reckon you'd have to favour the draw.

So I am.

:D

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am seriously thinking about not following this one tonight, but just checking the result when it's all over.

I have a bad feeling about it.

I have a bad feeling about it too, if thats any consolation.

Leaving in a bit.

So it looks like the best we can hope for is yet another "decent point against a good side". Either that or we'll lose because Everton are a better team and they need to win if they want to qualify for Europe.

Sorry to be so pessimistic. I hope I'm proved wrong...

Even a draw, though, still puts us in good position to challenge for fourth place. Our run in is:

Everton, Pompey, Hull, Noses, Citeh, Blackburn

City's is:

MUFC, L'Arse, Spurs, us, London Bongo.

We can afford draws in two matches (likely for me to be Everton and Citeh), as long as we win the remaining four, which, against that opposition is quite likely. Because I see City losing its next two matches, then drawing against us and Spurs before ending the season by defeating Ann Summers United- which leaves them with 5 points from 15. Our 14 from the last 18 would put us a point ahead of them on 68 points.

Liverpool have West Ham, Burnley, Chelsea and Hull left, so the 9 points I see them getting puts them on 65.

Finally, Spurs have Arsenal, Chelsea, United, Bolton, City and Burnley. Even if they scare up draws from Arsenal and United, I also have them drawing City, which would mean 9 points (beating Burnley and Bolton is pretty foregone for Spurs right now)- putting them one behind us if we can pull 14.

GET IN!!!!!

So it looks like the best we can hope for is yet another "decent point against a good side". Either that or we'll lose because Everton are a better team and they need to win if they want to qualify for Europe.

Even a draw, though, still puts us in good position to challenge for fourth place. Our run in is:

City's is:

We can afford draws in two matches (likely for me to be Everton and Citeh), as long as we win the remaining four, which, against that opposition is quite likely. Because I see City losing its next two matches, then drawing against us and Spurs before ending the season by defeating Ann Summers United- which leaves them with 5 points from 15. Our 14 from the last 18 would put us a point ahead of them on 68 points.

Liverpool have West Ham, Burnley, Chelsea and Hull left, so the 9 points I see them getting puts them on 65.

Finally, Spurs have Arsenal, Chelsea, United, Bolton, City and Burnley. Even if they scare up draws from Arsenal and United, I also have them drawing City, which would mean 9 points (beating Burnley and Bolton is pretty foregone for Spurs right now)- putting them one behind us if we can pull 14.

GET IN!!!!!

Is this MON's teamtalk for tonight? Haha - if only it was this simple.

This is villa remember - I wouldnt read anything into the fixtures - it doesnt mean a jot.

If our following fixtures were:

Man Utd (a)

Liverpool (a)

Chelsea (h)

then you would assume the worst - but we have won these games this season. Likewise with seemingly "easy" fixtures, we have dropped points against Wolves, Burnley, Blackburn, West Ham etc -all games we would think we shouldnt have problems.

Therefore, I conclude that our success this season (with the remaining fixtures) is less about who we have to face, but more about how we decide to approach each opponent ,our confidence and our state of mind.

UTV.

I reckon we will win 6 - 2 with a brace each from Platt and Olney

no one saw that coming did they?

god, i remember that game as though it was yesterday - i couldnt believe sid made it that far for the first goal!

City's is:

GET IN!!!!!

Is this MON's teamtalk for tonight? Haha - if only it was this simple.

This is villa remember - I wouldnt read anything into the fixtures - it doesnt mean a jot.

If our following fixtures were:

Man Utd (a)

Liverpool (a)

Chelsea (h)

then you would assume the worst - but we have won these games this season. Likewise with seemingly "easy" fixtures, we have dropped points against Wolves, Burnley, Blackburn, West Ham etc -all games we would think we shouldnt have problems.

Therefore, I conclude that our success this season (with the remaining fixtures) is less about who we have to face, but more about how we decide to approach each opponent ,our confidence and our state of mind.

UTV.

Fair points; What I was trying to say is that, looking at the run-ins of the other sides, and how they've played this season, 14 points would probably have us pipping City and Spurs to the post for fourth. So a draw today is not catastrophic as long as we get the other results. That's all.

VILLA: Friedel; Cuellar, Dunne, Collins, Warnock; A Young, Petrov, Milner, Downing; Carew, Agbonlahor. Subs: L Young, Sidwell, Delfouneso, Delph, Heskey, Guzan, Beye.

:|

EVERTON: Howard; Baines, Jagielka, Distin, Neville; Piennar, Osman, Cahill, Heitinga, Bilyaletdinov, Yakubu. Subs: Hibbert, Yobo, Saha, Turner, Senderos, Rodwell, Wallace.

Team I expected... just wish Luke Young was playing at right-back.

Everton are a good team, they've got nothing to lose and will be up for this game so we better be too. My heart says 2-0 but my head says 1-1 :(

Come on Villa, time to step it up.

VILLA: Friedel; Cuellar, Dunne, Collins, Warnock; A Young, Petrov, Milner, Downing; Carew, Agbonlahor. Subs: L Young, Sidwell, Delfouneso, Delph, Heskey, Guzan, Beye.

:|

EVERTON: Howard; Baines, Jagielka, Distin, Neville; Piennar, Osman, Cahill, Heitinga, Bilyaletdinov, Yakubu. Subs: Hibbert, Yobo, Saha, Turner, Senderos, Rodwell, Wallace.

Same old Everton team. You'd think Moyes would change tactics to catch the team directly in front of him off guard. And maybe Louis Saha can go to a manager that doesn't frequently play an injury prone, washed-up center forward in front of him.

/Bizarro VT