• Downing
    • A Young
    • Delph
    • Petrov
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Sidwell 75
    • Heskey 70

A lively first half, not so much the second. Bolton very poor apart from the lively Jack Wilshire plus one or two others. Not a great performance but a win nontheless and the team are to be congratulated for bouncing back from last week. Delph looked promising, Gabby showed how much we missed him (apart from a fluffed 1 on 1) and Ashley seems to be on a good run of form. Pats on the back all round!

Deflating 2nd half after an excellent 1st.

Pretty much every player drifted away after the break, particularly Young. Downing's crossing is on a par with Carlos's, it's really starting to piss me off.

We got 3 points but that second half performance won't get us very far in the long run.

Mate what is your problem? 3 points and well deserved. Not a classic game but we were clearly better side and restricted them to half chances.

I haven't got a problem mate, I know my football and I know that second half was poor.

We were great in the first half but Bolton pretty much dominated play after that. We need to learn how to keep the ball if we ever hope to finish higher than 5th.

If you knew your football you'd know that away from home 1-0 up is a fragile position and you expect pressure in the second half from a home team. You may have noticed certain Barcelona - who know a bit about keeping the ball - succumb to this effect last week

I know some people view results as the be all and end all, and that's fair enough, but I look at performances to decide if we are improving as a side.

I was so excited in the first half as it looked like O'Neill had actually drummed it in to the players to pass and move in triangles. Then, second half, we completely reverted back to sloppy long balls down the channels.

Don't forget, goal difference could count for a lot come the end of the season.

Result = Decent. Performance (2nd half) = Bad.

That's really harsh mate. We've just beaten Bolton 1-0 away from home, surely that deserves comparison to Barca at Arsenal ...... NOT!!!!

I agree with you Spacemanscott. We held on but never looked comfortable. MON just doesn't know how to close games out and just has to bring on the big lump that is Heskey to run the midfield show .... again NOT!

Agbonlahor - 5

That's a bit harsh srsmithUSA, I had Gabby down as man of the match, I thought he provided a threat, held the ball up very well and passed it really well.

We saw it differently. For me, 5 is what a PL player should do. He did it. He had some good moments, but he also muffed a 1 on 1, and seemed invisible for long stretches. I could see someone rating him higher than 5, but I have a hard time seeing him as MOTM. Competent, yes; MOTM, don't see it. Sorry, we'll just hold different opinions.

Fair enough Sir.

good solid hard working away win. cant ask for any more than that. i dont think it was ever going to be a classic game, but they stood up to be counted today after the mother of all batterings last week.

there are things that could have been better but it doesnt matter right now, as a team they got the job done and when they see the table tonight they will realise that there is still something to play for.

Really chuffed with the 3 points and I hope the fact we rested one of our best players and had a positive results shows Mon that sometimes resting a player and bringing in someone fresh can have a positive effect even if the player your resting is an important one.

Anyway, can't wait to watch abit of football first tonight. Roll on Wembley.

Petrov deserve credit for his performance today, real captain performance.
He played well today against a very mundane Bolton team, but one swallow doesn't make the summer.

He's be consistently solid for two years now, so I'm pretty sure it's not one swallow. Remember he was palyers player and fans player of the year last year. He is still a scapegoat for many on here, but he is very consistent, very experienced and a good captain.

This is against the same Bolton side that we murdered at VP with NRC playing the DCM role where we played and were on top for the full 90 minutes. When that game was used to support NRC getting a longer run in that position many posted that it was only against a poor Bolton. We scrape a 1-0 today against the same supposedly poor Bolton (who are in a similar league position now to when we played them at VP) with a squeaky bum ending and Petrov deserves the credit. I just don't get it! For me, he is at the heart of why we drop deeper in the last 30 minutes and JT's observations. I am not saying he shouldn't play but, IMO, he either needs supplementing with a third CM'er or subbing for the last 30.

Positive for me today was Petrov. Saw more of the ball in the first half, and he is a whole world more effective further forwards where he can demonstrate his talent. All this that he hasn't got the legs to play such a role is bollocks because the role of harrying at DM is more tiring. I do think we'd need an extra man in midfield though in any case against better opposition, unless the partner is NRC.

Delph was promising... again. You must see this, Martin.

A decent result against a dross side, although unfortunately I can't see the Cuellar at full back curse being lifted, which was the only real negative!

I'd love to see v Chelsea

...........Delph

.....Stan......Milner

Young.Gabby.DJ

The energy pace and passing abilty there could see the likes of Mikel and maybe Ballack struggle.

I'd love to see v Chelsea

...........Delph

.....Stan......Milner

Young.Gabby.DJ

The energy pace and passing abilty there could see the likes of Mikel and maybe Ballack struggle.

Would love to see this. This, IMO, is the only way we can play against Chelski when they play 4-3-3. Unfortunately, can't see MON doing it as he will want to accommodate Heskey or Carew!

Just the job before Chelsea, Ash with a great goal, Petrov work man like, Gabby very solid lets hope he's coming to the boil for next week............job done.

We now really really need to focus on the Semi Final and nothing else.............that is untill the final whistle.

He played well today against a very mundane Bolton team, but one swallow doesn't make the summer.

He's be consistently solid for two years now, so I'm pretty sure it's not one swallow. Remember he was palyers player and fans player of the year last year. He is still a scapegoat for many on here, but he is very consistent, very experienced and a good captain.

This is against the same Bolton side that we murdered at VP with NRC playing the DCM role where we played and were on top for the full 90 minutes. When that game was used to support NRC getting a longer run in that position many posted that it was only against a poor Bolton. We scrape a 1-0 today against the same supposedly poor Bolton (who are in a

similar league position now to when we played them at VP) with a squeaky

bum ending and Petrov deserves the credit. I just don't get it! For me, he

is at the heart of why we drop deeper in the last 30 minutes and JT's

observations. I am not saying he shouldn't play but, IMO, he either needs

supplementing with a third CM'er or subbing for the last 30.

Okay 3 quick points in regards to your points, NRC is injured so that rules out your 1st point, 2nd point Bolton had Megson at VP and there style was truly shite, Coyle has taken over and got them playing his way, not alot of teams have been up there and picked up 3 points and who gives a shit about Terry cos he is no master on football tactics!

just got back from bolton, great win today exactly what we needed. bolton didn't really threaten but we did the job, which on the back of the last seven days was always going to be difficult. brilliant support too, total opposite from bolton's fans who didn't sing all afternoon.

the defence was very good today, dunne and collins were very solid. warnock was improved from the last few weeks and cuellar looked much better at RB.

young MOTM for me, overhit too many corners but apart from that he worked tirelessly and obviously scored a great goal. petrov was great today, didn't seem to tire like normal. delph looked very good and did what he needed to do. downing was a little lightweight but he at least looked more hungry than in recent weeks.

carew and gabby held the ball up well but neither really looked like scoring. gabby HAS to work on his one-on-ones.

brilliant result at sunderland too, shame burnley had to roll over and die. still, back in this race!!

I don't agree with your view point, Petrov shouldn't be the captain either. I still stand by my comment.