• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Carew
    • Heskey
    • Delfouneso (for Heskey 14)
    • Sidwell (for Milner 77)

I don't understand how people can be disappointed with Delfouneso. I think it's a matter of expecting too much from a 19 year old kid. For what it's worth he surprised me tonight, didn't know he was so quick.

the problem is the fans are desperate for a goal scorer and may are pinning their hopes on him being that straight away.

Tonight I thought he looked good when on the ball and was positive, he often went forward to try and make things happened. Poor header at the end and poor decision to shoot just after.

Overall he showed he should have been given some chances earlier this season but probably isn't ready for a regular starting slot.

I thought he played well. The only way you can compare him is against Heskey's normal contribution, and based on that, he did as well, if not better.

I've been calling for Delfouneso to get a chance for a while.

He got it tonight, and like a few others I was underwhelmed to put it mildly.

Ash was MOTM, Carew and Collins not far behind.

Ref was **** abysmal, AGAIN.

When the **** are we going to get a one-eyed, biased, homer ref? Because in over 30 years of watching Villa I've never seen one yet

When the **** are we going to get a one-eyed, biased, homer ref? Because in over 30 years of watching Villa I've never seen one yet

Yet go to an away game and you see them all the **** time

Played some good stuff, same as wolves could of had 3 in first 20mins and same amount in the 2nd hallf

We have played a lot worse than that and have won. even at 1-0 i still thought we was gonna win.

Good performance just individual errors and finishing thats cost us...

Usuall suspects, petrov shagged after 60mins, cuellar stray passing and control, downing intermittent, fonz not ready.

Thought there was some ropey decisions by the officials to. us and them.

Guest Ricardomeister

Just back myself and another correct prediction from the Meister, though to be fair I only need to guess what score the next draw will be!

I think my overriding emotion tonight is frustration, rather than annoyance as it was on Saturday. I am not sure we really did enough to win although we had slightly the better of the clear cut chances. I wouldn't fault the effort from our tired players but the bottom line, as many of us realised a while ago, is we are just not good enough for the top 4. I have no idea how Downing got man of the match as I thought Carew was the only one who stood out. Carlos offered offered nothing going forward again, whereas Warnock was always looking to overlap the winger. Petrov looked dead on his feet again after 65 minutes and Dicky had a nightmare. Jimmy didnt look fit and although the Fonz certainly didn't set the world alight, at least he kept the defenders honest and got into the box.

As much as I dislike twitchy candle face at least their win tonight should mean 7th will get a Europa spot (unless somehow we can beat Chelsea!) but I think our jaded and tired team face a huge battle with a fresh, confident Everton team who could very easily finish above us and a Liverpool team who, with Torres in their team, can turn any poor performance into a win. I cannot see Spuds and Citeh not finishing in the top 7 so that leaves 2 of ourselves and the 2 bin dippers and looking at recent form it could well be us that misses out. We are starting to pay the price for a total lack of squad rotation imo with players starting to pick up injuries as well as looking physically and mentally tired. We need Gabby back urgently.

I cannot see anything other than a very comfortable Chelsea win on Saturday and with Everton's next 2 games against Wolves and West Ham they could easily be ahead of us by the time we play them and playing a rested Everton just after the FA Cup semi does not fill me with much optimism.

UTV SOTC

Ref was shit, linesman was shit, Dunne was shit (shocking I know but you could tell he was injured)

Poor finishing and shows we have **** all in backup incase we get injuries

Delfouneso not there yet, showed lack of experience when he needed to step up. Not saying he played poor as he made some good runs but didn't jump in for some headers or challenges when he could have.

We miss Agbonlahor and why Dunne was played with an injury is beyond me.

Downing got man of the match too - how?

Oh well, fourth is now gone in my opinion, we needed to win these games, should have got 6 points - got 2.

Heard on the radio in the car on the way back, we have drawn 7 out of our last 10 games - that is poor.

Not top four form and our best hope is the FA cup now. Dissapointing

Another team parking the bus at VP

another team we couldn't break down

We are not playing badly but we are lacking a spark for sure

Tbh Sidwell looks a bit livelier than some of the players , as well he ought to be , maybe he needs a run at the expense of Downing who was poor again today

I fear it's going to be a disappointing end of season and I suspect 8th may see a few more turn on MON ....

Can someone tell me what Salifou was doing on the bench? (Didn't see it but according to the beeb).

Is Delph injured? Is Salifou really the best fit midfield backup we have after Sidders?

Dear me. We have a little way to go yet, haven't we? Will MON's patience hold out? Randy's? The fans'?

Same old...

Carew took his goal well, but at times still didnt look at the races...couple of good runs..

Warnock overlapped very well

Cuellar, I still dont understand it..distribution awful.. terrible (hospital) pass to milner caused his injury.

Petrov looked dead a buried.

Ash Young coming back to old form, terrific delivery for goal and put a few other great balls in.

Downing 1 great that put young away down the left...ran at his defender once..and gues what beat him... do it more often..

Dunne looked shaky, worse game for us.

Del boy looked bright at times, but not given the ball enough, had to go chasing everything..

Everyone else..meh..so/so

Funniest thing was walking along Witton Lane after the game and hearing the PA announce Downing as MOTM and everyone just bursts out laughing! :lol:

Cuellar, Downing, Dunne, Milner, Petrov, Warnock- All crap!

Players who did well- Carew, Defoneuso and Young.

Same old boring tactics, same old lifeless team.

Oh and after Milner scored his goal against Wigan EVERYONE was coming on here saying he was world-class and the best thing since sliced bread. Yes, I love James Milner and he's easily one of our best players. But seriously, he has really not deserved all this media hype he's been getting recently. Alot of the time he is distinctly average in that CM role- and he goes missing out wide far too often.

Our form suffered due to below par Superhero James "Jimmy" Milner. When he play well, Villa Play well.

MON should have tonight

dropped Heskey for Nathan Delfouneso

rest James Milner, Petrov, Richard Dunne, (Stuart Downing if we could use someone else but Delph and Reo Coker is out)

Play with this team

Friedel,

Young, King Carlos, Collins, Warnock

Albrighton, Sidwell, Young, Barry B

Delfouneso and Carew

Two players impressed me tonight. Carew and Young.

The linesman at 2nd half is crap and referee is poor. We were unlucky not to win as we didn't score in bright opening period.

It would be interesting to see where would Villa be if they had a different manager with our players. Someone who will give youth a chance, rotate the team and drop Heskey.

Today it is like watching Aston Villa V Aston Villa.

Bannan is at Blackpool isn't he? No chance he would have started two inexperienced wingers anyway in the league, he wouldn't even start one

And Young in CM? I agree with resting Milner and Dunne but we couldn't afford to rest Petrov as Reo Coker is still out - how long is he out for now?

You know what I say? Feed the hare. When is he back from injury