Bulger Killer Returned To Jail [Poll Added]

Reality

What do you think the punishment for Venebles and Thompson should have been?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the punishment for Venebles and Thompson should have been?

• Their punishment was too severe
    • The punishment was correct
    • The punishment should have been longer
    • They should never have been let out
    • The Death Sentence

I don't know the story well enough to vote in the poll, but (as I can't be bothered going through all the pages) how on earth did the death penalty come into the debate? We are talking about a child murdering another child, aren't we? Did anyone suggest the state should execute a child?

I'm not sure about this thread specifically but it has been suggested on VT, yes.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the story well enough to vote in the poll, but (as I can't be bothered going through all the pages) how on earth did the death penalty come into the debate? We are talking about a child murdering another child, aren't we? Did anyone suggest the state should execute a child?

I'm not sure about this thread specifically but it has been suggested on VT, yes.

Blimey. That is so tenth century :shock:

Didnt venables get done for nonce sense?

wish they could invent a machine to swap terminal illnesses between people like him and people who don't deserve it.

And before anyone asks people who don't deserve it don't murder kids or bum them.

I'm sure I must have posted in here before, being that I feel so strongly on this. I really don't think that their age was an excuse and I believe that they knew full and well what they were doing.

They should have been left to rot in a cell for what they have done. Instead they get given new lives and continue to be the scum of the earth. What a messed up society we live in...

There's a wealth of difference between knowing what they were doing and being aware, or responsible, for the consequences of what they did. Children know the difference between right and wrong but can't always follow the right decision because they are children. They are immature and they haven't developed a foresight that allows them to be responsible.

Obviously what they did was wicked and the horror of what they did is still raw to this day. But they were treated as children and given the chance to be rehabilitated and try and make lives for themselves. Yes, I know that that was something they didn't allow poor Jamie Bulger but blood lust and mob type revenge won't change that.

I think they were dealt with correctly and it is quite ironic that the previous poster calls children scum (however dislikable they may be) and talks about our messed up society. maybe we should look at Venable's and (the other one)'s parents and point the finger at them. Children are just a reflection of their upbringing at that age. If they were from a stable, loving background I'm not convinced they would be walking around a shopping centre unaccompanied whilst deciding to hurt and kill.

... Children are just a reflection of their upbringing at that age...

Also some evidence that genetic factors, and physical differences in parts of the brain (differences from "normal"), can be associated with antisocial and psychopathic behaviour.

Some kids are evil though. I mean what those two did was pure evil.

What does that mean, though? What does it tell us about what to do with them, or more importantly, how to try to reduce the number of similar things happening in the future?

Â