Bulger Killer Returned To Jail [Poll Added]

Reality

What do you think the punishment for Venebles and Thompson should have been?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the punishment for Venebles and Thompson should have been?

• Their punishment was too severe
    • The punishment was correct
    • The punishment should have been longer
    • They should never have been let out
    • The Death Sentence

There's a wealth of difference between knowing what they were doing and being aware, or responsible, for the consequences of what they did. Children know the difference between right and wrong but can't always follow the right decision because they are children. They are immature and they haven't developed a foresight that allows them to be responsible.

Obviously what they did was wicked and the horror of what they did is still raw to this day. But they were treated as children and given the chance to be rehabilitated and try and make lives for themselves. Yes, I know that that was something they didn't allow poor Jamie Bulger but blood lust and mob type revenge won't change that.

I think they were dealt with correctly and it is quite ironic that the previous poster calls children scum (however dislikable they may be) and talks about our messed up society. maybe we should look at Venable's and (the other one)'s parents and point the finger at them. Children are just a reflection of their upbringing at that age. If they were from a stable, loving background I'm not convinced they would be walking around a shopping centre unaccompanied whilst deciding to hurt and kill.

Very good post which pretty much sums up a lot of my thoughts on the subject. Punishing someone for their entire life over a mistake (albeit an horrific one) they made at the age of 10 or 11 is not the mark of a civilised society.

You also raise a valid point with regards to parental responsibility and I for one would like to see this ingrained in law. If I own a dog and it bites somebody I get a fine, if I have a child that bludgeons another child to death nothing happens to me? This can't be right!

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some kids are evil though. I mean what those two did was pure evil.

A child isn't born evil? What proof do we have of this?

It has been researched for years by academics and studies show that children from a bad parental upbringing and social background play a massive factor. There can be no doubt those two were beaten, abused and lived with parents who were alcoholics, allowed them to starve during the day so they could get drunk.

What kind of a life is that for a child?

In saying that what they did was evil.

It is the same with animals. People teach animals, like dogs to be wicked and viscous. It is the same with children in my opinion.

How many criminals have came from broken homes? Who have been beaten or abused? A lot of paedophiles themselves were abused when they were young.

If I was his dad, I would have hunted them down by any means and made sure they met their end. If the law won't dish out justice then I would have....

I don't think that they should have been given a death sentence or anything when it comes to their punishment. However, I just don't buy the age excuse. They were old enough to know what they were doing and to know just how sick it was. They didn't just murder the poor child. They toyed with him and did some sick things.

There's a wealth of difference between knowing what they were doing and being aware, or responsible, for the consequences of what they did. Children know the difference between right and wrong but can't always follow the right decision because they are children. They are immature and they haven't developed a foresight that allows them to be responsible.

Obviously what they did was wicked and the horror of what they did is still raw to this day. But they were treated as children and given the chance to be rehabilitated and try and make lives for themselves. Yes, I know that that was something they didn't allow poor Jamie Bulger but blood lust and mob type revenge won't change that.

I think they were dealt with correctly and it is quite ironic that the previous poster calls children scum (however dislikable they may be) and talks about our messed up society. maybe we should look at Venable's and (the other one)'s parents and point the finger at them. Children are just a reflection of their upbringing at that age. If they were from a stable, loving background I'm not convinced they would be walking around a shopping centre unaccompanied whilst deciding to hurt and kill.

Very good post which pretty much sums up a lot of my thoughts on the subject. Punishing someone for their entire life over a mistake (albeit an horrific one) they made at the age of 10 or 11 is not the mark of a civilised society.

You also raise a valid point with regards to parental responsibility and I for one would like to see this ingrained in law. If I own a dog and it bites somebody I get a fine, if I have a child that bludgeons another child to death nothing happens to me? This can't be right!

I wouldn't call it a 'mistake'. I think they knew very well what they were doing. I find this kind of attitude incredibly dangerous, almost as dangerous as the mindset of those children brought up in these so-called broken homes.

If I was his dad, I would have hunted them down by any means and made sure they met their end. If the law won't dish out justice then I would have....

I don't think that they should have been given a death sentence or anything when it comes to their punishment.

What? Pardon? You would kill them by your own hands, but they don't deserve a death sentence?

I don't think that they should have been given a death sentence or anything when it comes to their punishment.

What? Pardon? You would kill them by your own hands, but they don't deserve a death sentence?

If I had been the father then yes. I can't even imagine the grief and agony it must have caused for the parents. He was so young and he was murdered in such a brutal manner.

When I am talking about them not deserving the death sentence I am talking about through the ways of the proper system. Whereas if the father was to kill them, it would be taking the law into his own hands. It is hard to imagine being in that position, yet I would certainly have been tempted to get them both...

By the way, any argument that says they got what they deserved is so wide of the mark in my opinion. That won't be changed by anyone. They got off with it basically and that's the simple fact. They should have been behind bars for many years to come, as opposed to being given new identities and such.

Â