Scientific Experiment V2 #7 - MON(thly) Approval Ratings

Gringo

Are you satisfied with MON as manager  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with MON as manager

• Yes - MON can take us forward
    • No - end of the road

Stealing an idea from the long lost and dearly lamented IainG (even if he couldn't spell his own name)

Quick one, no discussion needed. Based on current feelings only, should he stay or go?

Will repeat the poll on a weekly [edit]MONTHLY[/edit] basis until we get bored or he is replaced.

It really has been a month? Previous result here

And since then we've had:

LLWWDW

Poll open for 7 days.

Well yes, decision alot easier considering he's took us to Wembley.

However next year is the last one for me. I don't expect next year to finish a certain place but simply just to be competing for a full season up close by 4th and also solving the problems that are here and general improvement (which we are starting to see) in our football.

No, I don't think he can take us any further than 6th. I will always support him to the end tho.

I don't know. Every time this poll comes around we have people saying this sort of thing.

What is it that makes people say this stuff?

1)Do you think there's some genius football manager other than MON who's waiting in the wings to replace him?

Or

2)Do you think that as a club we are never going to do better than 6th?

If it's (1), who exactly do you have in mind???????????

If it's (2), I wonder why you bother being a Villa fan, or even follow football at all. Surely the point of being a fan of a football club is hoping and believing that your club will achieve success?

No, I don't think he can take us any further than 6th. I will always support him to the end tho.

I don't know. Every time this poll comes around we have people saying this sort of thing.

1)Do you think there's some genius football manager other than MON who's waiting in the wings to replace him?

Or

If it's (2), I wonder why you bother being a Villa fan, or even follow football at all. Surely the point of being a fan of a football club is hoping and believing that your club will achieve success?

I just don't believe he has the ability to attract top class players, nor does he have the tactical skills required to change a game. MO'N has been backed fantastically by RL, no manager in Villa's history has had that luxury, except MO'N. Saying that, MO'N has done a lot of good things for us since he took over and I appreciate him for that.

Do I think there's someone better than MO'N? Yes, I say Moyes and Jol are better. And we could attract them to the club IMO.

I will support MO'N to the end of his tenure. I like the guy, but I want this club back at the top, where it should be.

Or

I just don't believe he has the ability to attract top class players, nor does he have the tactical skills required to change a game. MO'N has been backed fantastically by RL, no manager in Villa's history has had that luxury, except MO'N. Saying that, MO'N has done a lot of good things for us since he took over and I appreciate him for that.

Do I think there's someone better than MO'N? Yes, I say Moyes and Jol are better. And we could attract them to the club IMO.

I will support MO'N to the end of his tenure. I like the guy, but I want this club back at the top, where it should be.

Ok:

- The ability to attract top class players is hardly down to the manager. How much money the club pays, how big the club is, and whether there's Champion's League football on offer will make up 99.9% of the decision for a player.

- Having the tactical skills to change a game is mostly about having enough quality players to change a game. MON is collecting quality players all the time, if you hadn't noticed! Obviously none of us are wowed by MON's substitution and squad rotation policies, but just because we don't agree with decisions doesn't mean they are wrong.

- I don't know how you can be so sure that Moyes and Jol are better. Jol had a LOT of money to spend at Tottenham, and Moyes has been at Everton for a long time, and arguably had mixed success.

I agree with your sentiment to some extent in that I find MON massively frustrating and do not think that he has a great deal of tactical ability or flexibility.

Unlike many, I am really pleased with the squad he has built, my only slight dissent to this is that I wished he had bought in Tuncay in the summer to give us a proper link man to Gabby. For the relative expenditure, compared to many of our "competitors" (excepting Arsenal) he has done a really good job.

I wouldn't mind finishing 6th or even 7th or 8th if I felt we had competed well and played to our optimum BUT i don't feel like we have.

Too many games we have gone in blindly with MON's preferred players in a 4-4-2. There are a number of games where I felt 4-5-1/4-3-3 should have been given an opportunity given the shape/form of the opposition (Arsenal away being the obvious example) and the fact that we virtually always seem to pull out a result when we play this way. There have also been a number of games where we have started well but faded and MON has not made the necessary adjustments to retain that early momentum(Citeh and Spurs at home are examples) or started poorly and kept on playing poorly with no alterations (several away games in our poor run).

I would guess we are about the 6th or 7th biggest spenders (transfer fees over the last 5 years or so and the current wage bill) so 6th or 7th would seem to be a reasonable expectation. As for the Carling Cup, it will be a great day out but we have not beaten anyone that we would have expected to have lost to so its not yet a fantsastic achievement?

I like MON but feel that there is just something missing. If he had it he would be a truly great manager but I am not sure he will ever get it. I am not sure there are many that we could attract that would be that much better though.

nor does he have the tactical skills required to change a game.
Very true. I mean, if we went down 2-0 in the first 20 minutes of a cup semi-final, we could never come back & win the tie by scoring 6 goals under MON, could we? :confused:

So one game is enough evidence to suggest that he CAN make changes that have an impact sufficient to win a game? I can think of plenty more where he hasn't. West Ham, Arsenal and Liverpool being three very recent examples.

Always will be MON for me and it makes me laugh when people think they spot tactical stuff that he is totally unaware of.

Why should he need to change games - we win most of them. For 2 1/2 years now we have been up around 4th-6th, and are beating teams we used to always lose against. Our youth and reserve teams are similar, clearly both our tactics and players are close to as good as any team outside the Big 4 could get !

I agree with your sentiment to some extent in that I find MON massively frustrating

I don't want to selectivly quote, but I have anyway.

If you listen too fans from all clubs they are frustrated with the manager (look how much crap wenger was/is getting at arsenal, it does not matter if it is about not winning things or the fact he does not buy star players) but I am not sure how anyone can argue with the results, which in the end is all that matters.

Â