The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I hope that Fury sticks to his statement of not fighting Haye for how he messed him about. At the time Haye was the draw and thought he was above it all. Now the shoe is on the other foot and I hope Haye does not get the fight.

However, if there was ever a sport where money talks then it is boxing. Promoters will already be crunching the numbers for a fight next summer at Wembley I'm sure.

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Surely if Haye works himself up to Mandatory he will have no choice.

Saying that he could easily hold him off for a couple of years at which point Haye would be back out of the game anyway.

He's not really known for doing things the hard way, and at 35 I'm not sure he will try to force himself to be a mandatory. I think he'll try and force a fight using his mouth, and maybe by fighting someone like Joshua, in the hope that he wins and spikes public interest. 

But yeah, I don't anticipate Haye's return lasting too long, he has very limited room for manoeuvre. In fact I think he would be better off trying to chase a fight with Wilder. Wilder is chinny and Haye apparently gave him a real pasting in sparring when training for the Fury fight that never happened. 

A win over Wilder would net him the WBC title, so assuming Fury would still have the other belts, a fight between the two would be for the undisputed heavyweight title, this way Haye brings something genuine to the table and I think Fury would be keen to unify the final belt. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Fury has told the Beeb that Haye can whistle for it - he won't fight him after Haye ducked him twice a couple of years ago. 

World heavyweight champion Tyson Fury says he will never defend his titles against fellow Briton David Haye.

Fury shocked the boxing world by beating Wladimir Klitschko on Saturday to secure the WBA, IBF and WBO belts.

But Fury has not forgiven Haye for pulling out of two scheduled fights against him in 2013 and causing him "mental and physical torture".

"David Haye will never get a fight against Tyson Fury after what he did to me," said the Manchester boxer.

"I remember him saying that he'd never give me a payday. Well, the shoe is on the other foot now.

"If he gets a mandatory shot with any of the governing bodies, I'll vacate the title. Let him go and fight Fred Flintstone or Joe Bloggs and make no money.

"I don't care if he says I can make £10m by fighting him, it's not about money for me.

"I knew how much boxers got messed about at the highest level. But there were times [when Haye pulled out of the fights] that I didn't want to box any more.

"He is a pretender, a fraud and he is getting no opportunities from us."

James DeGale has to go down as one of the most unlikable champions in British boxing history

Yes he's good but god doesn't he know it there's a line between confidence and arrogance and he's crossed far beyond it

I can't stand him 

• Like 1

Same here Ash. I remember the interview he did before fighting Groves, saying he would give Groves his purse if Groves beat him. I was delighted when he lost. He really is an arrogant little rocket polisher. I look forward to seeing him get smashed soon . Do not like Fury either , homophobic idiot .

3 minutes ago, Villaninireland said:

Same here Ash. I remember the interview he did before fighting Groves, saying he would give Groves his purse if Groves beat him. I was delighted when he lost. He really is an arrogant little rocket polisher. I look forward to seeing him get smashed soon . Do not like Fury either , homophobic idiot .

DeGale actually won that fight on my card but that's another matter.

DeGale is an exceptional talent, one of the most talented British boxers in a long time, I'm a big fan, but certainly has his flaws mentally and physically, they will probably hold him back in the long run. 

He is a bit of a bellend (although as far as I'm aware he is more humble than he used to be) but I'm not about to hate on a boxer for being arrogant and having lots of confidence in their abilities. 

Seems Klitschko has taken up a rematch clause then. 

Maybe Wembley in the spring? With Fury now the champion, can't see it going back to Germany.

17 minutes ago, av1 said:

Maybe Wembley in the spring? With Fury now the champion, can't see it going back to Germany.

Maybe Old Trafford

I think Wlad will win second time round

He only threw 4 body shots in the whole 12 rounds he won't make that mistake again i expect his trainer to drill into him to go for the body more and with Fury's habit of not covering up i think he can hurt him that way

Edited by AshVilla

7 hours ago, av1 said:

Fury said in the post fight press conference on Sunday that he'd be happy to fight in Germany again. Not sure whether that means he will be defending against Wlad in Germany but I wouldn't rule it out completely.  Fury might be bound by the terms of the initial contract he signed before he got his shot for all we know. 

Stunning load of guff from Fury in the Holt interview

OH: When you say the world tells you the end is near, do you mean the way we are abusing the planet and that kind of stuff?

TF: Abusing the planet, the wars in the Middle East, the famines, the earthquakes, the natural disasters, all these things are talked about 2,000 years ago before they even happened. Prophesised. So now it is all coming true. It says there will be a time when men lay with men and women lay with women and that’s accepted and it’s only in 1967 when these things were OK: abortions, being homosexual in public. So from 1967 until now. There are only three things that need to be accomplished before the Devil comes home. One of them is homosexuality being legal in countries, one of them is abortion and the other is paedophilia. So who would have thought in the 50s and early 60s that those first two would be legalised. When I say paedophiles can be made legal, that sounds like crazy talk doesn’t it but back in the 50s and early 60s, for them first two to be made legal would have been looked on as a crazy man again. If I would have told you 120 years ago that a thousand tonne aeroplane was going to float through the sky, a piece of steel, ludicrous. When Christopher Columbus said the world was round, he’s an idiot. All these things that happen in the world, wise men already know they are going to happen and they see what they really are. Foolish people follow the system, get caught up in media news, what the government want you to believe and the world and all the higher powers want you to believe and want you to be in the system, want you go down the same path as all the sheep in the cattle market.

The whole batshit transcript here

His views tend to be consistent with the Irish traveler community, so no real shock, it's interesting how a lot of the media coverage focuses on his views. I'm not of the belief that sportsmen should be role models. 

He will probably not win the sports personality of the year award (despite his achievement being the best achievement in British sport for a very long time) because of such coverage.

His views are crackers, regardless of how consistent the are with the traveller community. What's worse though is the campaign against the journalist following the release of the original story. Apparently there's been threats of violence against Oliver Holt for having made the whole thing up. I believe that's why they released the transcript and video - to prove Fury said it all. 

Agree re the role model thing but the whole story (if true) stinks.

Aren't his views consistent with Christianity though? I don't really understand how we as a society can say its fine to openly practice Christianity or Islam and we should have tolerance and respect for peoples religion etc. and then get outraged when people express these sort of views. We've made our bed, now we must lie in it.

There are only three things that need to be accomplished before the Devil comes home. One of them is homosexuality being legal in countries, one of them is abortion and the other is paedophilia.

I'm very familiar with Christian theology (having been surrounded by it for almost all of my life) and this bit is certainly not conventional Christian thinking. Much of the rest of it is not conventionally "Christian" either.

Anyway, we'd better be careful, we've already got a religion thread. Back to the boxing ;)

Â