The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Hopefully he'll give it up. Not being rude to Maccarinelli, but in my eyes Jones Jr was in a class he could only dream about - one of the best two or three fighters of the last thirty years and an all time great - he should have retired a decade ago or more.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Hopefully he'll give it up. Not being rude to Maccarinelli, but in my eyes Jones Jr was in a class he could only dream about - one of the best two or three fighters of the last thirty years and an all time great - he should have retired a decade ago or more.

Peak RJJ is as good as anybody there ever has been in my opinion, you only need to go through this thread to find many posts stating my love for the man but he's been shite for so long that now there is a generation of fans who only know him as a has been.  It's destroyed his legacy.  If Jones had retired in 2004 after winning the heavyweight title then people (like myself) would be arguing for him to be up there near the top of the list of all time greats.  

• Like 1

I don't think Eubank can hit him harder than that. Sullivan appears to be made of stone. This one is the balance.

He's put 20-30 power punches on the button and not knocked him out - either Eubank has soft hands or Sullivan is tough as an old boot. 

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Stopped it in the ad break!

Not a great way to finish, looks like he was playing brave but feeling it.

He had eaten a lot of leather

Hmmmm, I'm not much of a boxing fan so this might be a stupid question.

What is the point in going into a fight to get punched a lot in the hope of tiring your opponent and then catching him with one big punch. Surely you aren't good enough if that is your tactic?

Â